Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreading the 1st few weeks of dreading

Ciaralynne Altiery
@ciaralynne-altiery
14 years ago
19 posts
Awesome (: Just curious, How long have you had your dreads for & did they start to unravel or even come completely undone? My boyfriends are kind of coming undone but he just did the back combing method. I have faith in mine even though I see stray hairs they're really tight. I also love meeting other homeschoolers. They are usually very unique people. Being home schooled was my choice. I do online courses though (: I just got tired of the constant drama and seeing others hurt people. I think you should let your 13 year old start her dreads. Then she'll experience the journey too and learn to be patient not to mention the fact that all of her friends will think she's the bomb (; MeganMama said:
Ciaralynne,
You sound like a younger version of me:) I did the same method as you (went through and re-did a bunch so that they are all a good combo of t&r with backcombing.) Turned out really well- nice and tight (I haven't posted an updated version of it) and whatever comes loose will be left to dread on their own. But they are holding really well- even after washing. And....I'm not homeschooled, but I homeschool my 3 kids. I love to run into other homeschoolers. Especially homeschooling dreadheads:) My 13 year old is waiting patiently for me to help her start dreads too. Glad to have you join this forum.

Ciaralynne Altiery said:
I "made" my locks just yesterday by doing t&r and backcombing. It makes a really cool texture. (like all lumpy. I did backcombing at the roots then t&r and then backcombing and then t&r and backcombing ect.) I haven't used any products at all and I'm wiling to accept the fact that they'll probably come undone. My hair is really dry and really curly so as of right now (2nd day) they are pretty tight. If they come undone I'm just going to let them do whatever. I'm homeschooled and hardly have a social life so its not like I go out in public much.I used to be a material girl and always tried to fit in but after going through what seemed like a million struggles in my life I started a new journey where I just dropped everything and started being true to myself. Even though all I have in my life is my mom and my boyfriend I am still very happy. I decided to get dreadlocks even though my hair is only about 8" inches long because I wanted them to be like a way of catching all of the good vibes& memories. I dont know haha I guess I figure It's time I start over and just forget about the past and just start over. My first chapter being with dreads. I'm one of the least judgemental people and I know alot of people in the world around me are judgemental but I hope they can see past the locks on my head, Or atleast look at the uniqueness and strength that you have to have in the first place.(Letting yourself go) I fear the unknown so having dreads might be a struggle for me but I'm hoping maybe they'll help me get over my fear. My boyfriend on the other hand is freaking out. We backcombed his hair and he's freaking out about all of the loose hairs and he always wants me to fix them, He's constantly telling me to tighten them and try to make little dreads out of the loose hairs. I just tell him to let them go and do their thing. I hope he calms down soon lol. As for others like myself who are just starting out. Just know that if you made them and they start to unravel, Don't freak out. they will tighten and the loose hairs will come together given time. Good luck to everyone. (:
karen
@karen
14 years ago
78 posts
Awesome!
CrazyDaizy99
@crazydaizy99
14 years ago
81 posts
So far I am loving the mirror because every time I walk past it I feel like I can see a little bit of progress and that is really exciting to me :) Two things that I had never expected were "overnight" OR "perfection". I knew it would be a process and fuzzy hair was just going to have to be a part of that. And I didn't want perfection because I didn't want evenly placed sections or perfectly symmetrical dreads. I wanted something that looked more personalized. So to me all the strange stuff is fine as long as I can learn how to style it and care for it.
Jennifer
@jennifer
14 years ago
3 posts
Thanks for posting this... I found this site searching for tips on what I was doing wrong, because I feel like mine are coming apart! But you're right, I need to relax and let them do their thing :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
crazydaizy u were born to dread and dread rightjennifer most people who "make" dreads as aposed to grow dreads panic and think somethings wrong as soon as they begin to actualy show signs of dreadingnow compare that to crazy up there whos going natural letting the wind and waves and time do it all for her and she rejoices instead of panics over the same exact thingssometimes the scenic routes the better way to get from point a to point b instead of flying along screamming at every car in your wayits the same with dreading when you take the slow ride leasurely rolling along enjoying the ride its so much more pleasurable then rushing ahead being pissed off at evcerything thats slowing u downusualy no matter which route you take u still get to point b around the same time..but theres no comparrison between the drustratuing race and the blissfull wandering

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Robbbb
@robbbb
14 years ago
32 posts
I'm on like day 4 and my hair is starting to itch, maybe because i haven't touched or let anything touch my hair. my curls are much tighter that usuali'm not expecting dreads for atleast a month, also trying not to look at mirrors.. didnt know it would be so hard hahaha
That Crazy Family
@that-crazy-family
14 years ago
4 posts
I SO needed to read this... thanks for posting it up on my discussion!! I need to just chill, Im so thrilled for this site!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
:) i knew it was just what ya needed

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
haha dude i freak bout my hair alllll the time
Em
@em
14 years ago
1 posts
So I know it's stereotypical, but I still am kind of freaking out about my dreads.The thing is-- I know over time dreads seem to get thicker, right? Well, I wanted thick dreads, so we put them in pretty thick (like half an inch, maybe). Now, however, there's only 16 dreads in my hair! And it's not really enough to cover my head. So I don't see how not to freak out, because I don't think I'll just up an grow *more* dreads over time.So I don't really know what to do-- take some out and split them into two?
updated by @em: 07/13/15 05:20:29PM

/ 20

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form