Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreading the 1st few weeks of dreading

Jennifer
@jennifer
14 years ago
3 posts
Post a picture! It probably looks alot better than you think. I'm pretty critical of mine too... Em said:
So I know it's stereotypical, but I still am kind of freaking out about my dreads.
The thing is-- I know over time dreads seem to get thicker, right? Well, I wanted thick dreads, so we put them in pretty thick (like half an inch, maybe). Now, however, there's only 16 dreads in my hair! And it's not really enough to cover my head. So I don't see how not to freak out, because I don't think I'll just up an grow *more* dreads over time.
So I don't really know what to do-- take some out and split them into two?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i6 and only 1/2 inch? that dont seem possible unless u got a tiny head u must mean 2 inch at the root 1 inch thich dread baby cause usualy 1 inch dreads u have 20-30but look at my best freind chevelle trant on here her dreads are i think 12 or 16 somewhere in there they are thick and cover her head i also know a guy with just 3 16 is low but id be concerned they will get too huge and the sectioning is sloppy and will cause them to eat eachotherbtw u definately will grow more in between them over time as long as u dont obsessively maintain them Em said:
So I know it's stereotypical, but I still am kind of freaking out about my dreads.
The thing is-- I know over time dreads seem to get thicker, right? Well, I wanted thick dreads, so we put them in pretty thick (like half an inch, maybe). Now, however, there's only 16 dreads in my hair! And it's not really enough to cover my head. So I don't see how not to freak out, because I don't think I'll just up an grow *more* dreads over time.
So I don't really know what to do-- take some out and split them into two?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
i have to admit that the whole worrying about my dreads thing kind of puzzles me a bit. When i started my first set of dreads 10 years ago, i (or anyone i knew) had never heard of creating dreads with a "technique". It was simply about not having to think/worry about your hair. I'm sure SE can attest to that even better than I! It was just natural beauty that came about by doing nothing. I truly believe all this panic was born from companies like KBoy & DHHQ to sell needless products. Selling people this image of "perfect dreads" like there even is such a thing! I feel bad when i see people freaking out over their hair because it seems their missing the point a bit? I'm not judging, i just wish they could see the beauty in letting go and not worrying so much about their hair. It will be as it is meant to, not like anyone elses, like you OWN! I wish everybody would stop trying to DO something to fix a problem that's not there. That's what creates the actual problem in the end. Many Blessings
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
hey!i started out with 16 as well! you are quite right it did look a little funny, like there werent enough dreads to make a full head. sections were huge and some were bigger than others. good thing is, thicker dreads lock up faster in my experience, but start getting too fat. i took the ones along the top back of my crown where they were the biggest and ripped them in half. i havent counted yet but i ripped 4 and now i have 8 brand new dreads i have to deal with for a while, you can see what i mean in the photos of me on my page. try ripping some of your thicker ones at key points (usually where i ripped mine) and your head will look a lot fuller. its amazing how much of a difference just a couple of more dreads makes. i actually got a comment from my roommate that something about me looked more professional overnight but he couldnt figure out what. haha Em said:
The thing is-- I know over time dreads seem to get thicker, right? Well, I wanted thick dreads, so we put them in pretty thick (like half an inch, maybe). Now, however, there's only 16 dreads in my hair! And it's not really enough to cover my head. So I don't see how not to freak out, because I don't think I'll just up an grow *more* dreads over time. So I don't really know what to do-- take some out and split them into two?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
hahaha yea i agree completely all the worry and pannic comes from trying to control nature but when u accept nature and allow nature to take its course its more like a meditation then a panic you relax you accept you simply allow and dreads happen.. simplicityid go crazy if i creatted dreads and then was panicking dailyi get like 100 private messages and im's a day from ppl asking question after question after question and the answer to every single 1 is "its normal relax" but they just keep commingbecause theyre stuck in control cycles instead of just accepting the fact that dreads happen NaturalWomyn said:
i have to admit that the whole worrying about my dreads thing kind of puzzles me a bit. When i started my first set of dreads 10 years ago, i (or anyone i knew) had never heard of creating dreads with a "technique". It was simply about not having to think/worry about your hair. I'm sure SE can attest to that even better than I! It was just natural beauty that came about by doing nothing. I truly believe all this panic was born from companies like KBoy & DHHQ to sell needless products. Selling people this image of "perfect dreads" like there even is such a thing! I feel bad when i see people freaking out over their hair because it seems their missing the point a bit? I'm not judging, i just wish they could see the beauty in letting go and not worrying so much about their hair. It will be as it is meant to, not like anyone elses, like you OWN! I wish everybody would stop trying to DO something to fix a problem that's not there. That's what creates the actual problem in the end. Many Blessings

--
Sarah Cadario
@sarah-cadario
14 years ago
3 posts
I enjoyed your wisdom. This is my first time on the sight. benjah said:
soaringeagle said:
haha im no guru i just like playing with words and making them dance ..u jusr get mesmerised by the dance .

in a way ..a much more pathetic way thats what johnny clean does but he uses lingo to try to sound cool the psudo gheto speak..
the difference is tho im pretty honnest and tell it like it is while he twists words around to just make u believe things are the way he claims

its all just words dancing u just gotta klook for meanning and truth in them
theres logic and then theres what majicians (and moviemakers) call suspention of disbelief"..believing in somethinmg cause your tricked into no longer believing the simple truths

for instance all your life u would comb out tangles daily
so the simplest truth is your hairs trying to tangle or dread
but a good illusionist will make u believe tangles only result from hokus pokus
he
'll wave a majic wand say a few babbling words and walla point out a knot where no knot existed a momment before.
and you believe it after all he used some magic words.

but just a passing breeze or even the breeze caused by the waving of the wand could and would cause a knot
the magician takes credit for what naturaly happens
and you start tossing coins at his feet
just mesmerized by the performance of a miricle .

if only you knew how simple the tricks are the illusion is broken

hair dreads thats what it does..no special tricks to it
very true! im not really aware of the dreadlock politricks thats happeneing when my hair dreaded it was a solo flight for me, i didnt have a mentor didnt know anyone with dreads, didnt have interweb either. im still not sure what a lot of the methods you can use are called, had no idea what a congo was intill recently! i had no idea you could buy "miricale grow superdread wax" and the such like. one of my friends has just lost her dreads due to "products" (even though i said go natty!) her dreads went really weak and smelly cos she couldnt wash em with all the waxy tatt she used.
but now ive met this site and shall spread the word to those in need.
Sarah Cadario
@sarah-cadario
14 years ago
3 posts
Naturalwoman-- I hate all these sites and companies trying to sell so much dread stuff. I just made em a few days ago, well you know what i mean, and I want to know the natural way to do it... is it just neglect? I believe your hair naturally dreads, but I want to help it not be whack and annoying or uncomfortable. What products do you suggest using? Washing ever? soaringeagle said:
hahaha yea i agree completely all the worry and pannic comes from trying to control nature but when u accept nature and allow nature to take its course its more like a meditation then a panic you relax you accept you simply allow and dreads happen.. simplicity
id go crazy if i creatted dreads and then was panicking daily
i get like 100 private messages and im's a day from ppl asking question after question after question and the answer to every single 1 is "its normal relax" but they just keep comming
because theyre stuck in control cycles instead of just accepting the fact that dreads happen

NaturalWomyn said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u wash natural dreads u do not want products of any kind wash with a dread soap like the 1's in our shops or dr bronners (unless u have hard water) or best yet baking soda (search the site)anything else its optional like sea salt sprayswhat did u do to start and use Sarah Cadario said:
Naturalwoman-- I hate all these sites and companies trying to sell so much dread stuff. I just made em a few days ago, well you know what i mean, and I want to know the natural way to do it... is it just neglect? I believe your hair naturally dreads, but I want to help it not be whack and annoying or uncomfortable. What products do you suggest using? Washing ever?

soaringeagle said:
hahaha yea i agree completely all the worry and pannic comes from trying to control nature but when u accept nature and allow nature to take its course its more like a meditation then a panic you relax you accept you simply allow and dreads happen.. simplicity
id go crazy if i creatted dreads and then was panicking daily
i get like 100 private messages and im's a day from ppl asking question after question after question and the answer to every single 1 is "its normal relax" but they just keep comming
because theyre stuck in control cycles instead of just accepting the fact that dreads happen

NaturalWomyn said:

--
Sarah Cadario
@sarah-cadario
14 years ago
3 posts
I am like that guy you had to give you IM to... I am a female, so my hair appearance is important (possibly more than guys, but that's debatable) I start school in two weeks, and my dreads (if you want to call them that...) are 17 days old, and I don't think I've seen much progress, is that normal? They're very frizzy, and I don't want to just keep hiding behind bandanas because of how they look... please let me know what else I could do? I use aloe to tame them, and I've read controversies on using dread wax, so I've played it safely on both sides. I just want to know when I should see true progress and relief.Sarah soaringeagle said:
im used to ppl from the 1st day they backcombed beijng in constant pannic mode..critik for innstance met him on another forum, had to give him my im and spend hours a day every day from day 1 getting him to relax and go with the flow..

in a way to me forums liker this are a by product of the whole "made" dreads trend of today..when i began mine ..all i knew was stop brushing and dreads happen.. after that i never had 1 question i needed an answer to
i never cared what soap wwas best i never cared about loose hairs otr roots or tips or bumps or ..anything..i askes 1 question of 1 guy only..got the answer stop brushing and tht was thwt..
i never thought of reading up on it..i never thought of going to a salon to get it done right..
it seems to me that these sites that offer a easy way to dread have made ir so complicated that noone can understand how it just happends without effort..and so not everything they do on theyree own seems like somrthing you gotta fix insread of just part of how they become dreads..

im too sleep deprived to type srry
meg ☮
@meg
14 years ago
92 posts
I keep noticing that I often try and 'flatten' down the sides of my hair where it looks the messiest. seems I'm still trying to control the outcome too much! gotta learn to let go, and stop looking in the mirror.
updated by @meg: 07/13/15 05:20:23PM

/ 20

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form