Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

life expectancy of Crochet'd dreads

Ashley Eve
@ashley-eve
13 years ago
43 posts

so from what i read it seems that the worst out come from crocheting dreads is that they will not last as long as 100% naturally formed dreads

how long would u expect they would last?

given that in all other ways they where cared for naturally

updated by @ashley-eve: 02/14/15 05:42:19AM
Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts

As long as you haven't over crocheted and you dont continue with it I see no reason why they wont last a life time.

I started with crochet and b-comb maintained two weeks and neglected ever since(1yr) and i dont see a problem with my dreads apart from a couple of stiff spots the roots are strong and free.I've ripped three in half to thin them, 7 inches long and they ripped straight down the middle,minimal and i mean minimal hair loss.

So if you havent done much crochet, dont stress i reckon.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea only idf u continue maintaining with crochet is it a problem

altho a good number do start over due to hatuing the stiffness

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Marcus Gibbs
@marcus-gibbs
13 years ago
16 posts
As long as they are not too tight they should be fine. Don't obsess on the maintenance and they will be ok.
Leah
@leah
13 years ago
32 posts
exactly!!

Knottysleeves said:
The life expectancy of dreads depends on a lot of things -- the condition of your hair, how strong it is, how aggressively or gently you used any starting method, etc. Neglect dreads can break too. There's no reason why crocheted dreads can't last a lifetime, if that's what you want.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
yea all dreads are susceptible to breakage it depends on so many factors. It's one of my biggest fears lol! Even though I didn't use a starter method I still worry because before dreads I hadn't had a haircut in over 7 years, sometimes I'd trim the ends myself but I know I started with some damaged hair. I guess time will tell!
Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts
hey naturalwoman before my locs i didnt cut for over 15 yrs and i have b.combed and crochet so i guess im gonna be a good test case over time. I'm really not worried though.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
how long doid u crochet wasnt it like 6 months only?

Dave said:
hey naturalwoman before my locs i didnt cut for over 15 yrs and i have b.combed and crochet so i guess im gonna be a good test case over time. I'm really not worried though.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
WOW 15 years how long was your hair when u started!? I guess I'm not too worried but I occasionally have nightmares about dreads ripping out!lol! It's mostly split ends so it shouldn't be too bad down the road hopefully!

Dave said:
Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts

I only maintained a couple of weeks but i was a little excessive(every couple of days kinda thing, it was a confidence thing) and they were quite stiff and hard when i got here, still got some spots that are rock solid but overall they are ok IMO.

Naturalwoman-

My hair was half way down my back when i started and i can tell you i shed more hair around the house than a dog,split ends hell yeah i reckon everyone of them, after b.comb and crochet they didnt even touch my shoulders 1yr on and they are back on my shoulders now.(yay!)

Funny really cos i'd been kinda neglecting my hair for over a decade if someone had told me to stop brushing back then....oh well.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form