Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

"Metalhead" and "Hippie's"

Nic Sullivan
@nic-sullivan
14 years ago
47 posts
I Don't like anyone putting me in a box like so i don't mean to do that with either of those terms but anyway.Me and a friend were talking about how in metal dreadlocks are worn a lot and how that it's kinda strange sence it's mostly thought of with "Hippie's" Then i got to thinking maybe "Metalheads" and "Hippie's" have more encommon then i thought.This hole thought came about when i heard of the band "Decrepit Birth" listened to a a few songs i dig'em. Then looked up a interview.This is what i found
If you got the time check it out. I would just like to hear if any one else thinks there similarity's between the to cultures. =D
updated by @nic-sullivan: 11/13/21 07:49:44AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
umm im really confused why do u think that interview made them seem like hippies? cause they mention the earth a few times and say theyre goal isnt just to play as many notes as fast as they can?maybe i missed somethingok they never mentioned satan ..they maybe didnt act like they had to act "metal"but i really didnt see much similarities to hippies except that maybe they as individuals might have lil more rounded personalities so might have some cross over values.. and i just say might cause there was no evidence of that either way that i saw..just a very vague sense that if taken out of the metal scene and thrust into a hippie scene they might be adaptable

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cracker
@cracker
14 years ago
15 posts
Whats wrong with metal heads?
Nic Sullivan
@nic-sullivan
14 years ago
47 posts
Yeah well i guess, to me metal is kinda like Tom of Ayra from slayer said. A reflection of society and they pick up the dark reflections. I don't think slayer thinks Murder is "cool" or anything like that maybe a cool subject topic or something. I think people that like metal music would like peace and what not. Just we go about talking about the worlds problems in a different way.SE no, i don't really think it made them seem like Hippies more that i saw similarites. And it's not just with this band.Haha but last night i was kinda bored it was the only thing on my mind. So it's not to big of a deal
Bobbi
@bobbi
14 years ago
27 posts
hey thanks for showing this band. I'm gonna check out their music for sure. I like their philosophy. My new favorite metal band right now is The Agonist. You should check them out on YouTube. If you watch some of the interviews you'd probably get a hint of what you get from Decrepit Birth.
Nic Sullivan
@nic-sullivan
14 years ago
47 posts
O yeah i know that agonist my band had a show with them once, it was pretty sweet. It was a while ago though we broke up. Bobbi said:
hey thanks for showing this band. I'm gonna check out their music for sure. I like their philosophy. My new favorite metal band right now is The Agonist. You should check them out on YouTube. If you watch some of the interviews you'd probably get a hint of what you get from Decrepit Birth.
Sergio Escalera
@sergio-escalera
14 years ago
21 posts
eh maybe "mainstream" metal has something in common but bands like Nile and behemoth have absolutely nothing in common with "hippie" or rounded personalities....idk i just felt like giving my opinion. You should check out those bands if your into Blackened Death metal. quite brutal my favorite bands i see both ov their shows when ever they are anywhere in California.sorry about the categories don't like using them cause i have no idea what i would be categorized into.
Nic Sullivan
@nic-sullivan
14 years ago
47 posts
Yeah thats pretty fair it's safe to say those to bands do not. Cause I mean Behemoth is all about being against the christian god. Most of there albums and songs have something to do with that. Ex: Christians to the Lions decent song but it's a good summary of the band.Nile is just like Hey have you guys heard about Egypt. Egypt..... Egypt.But i mean look and Cannibal Corpse imo Death Metal would not be the same with out them. Chris barnes the orignal singer is a huge cannabis activeist sorry about my spelling. He now how long ass dreadlocks. And talks about how the goverment is fucked up and how were big bussiness is screw'n up the earth...It's kinda the reason i started this thread.
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
hippies and metalheads do have many many things in common.both subcultures were born under rebellion for the current establishmentboth subcultures advocate individuality and strengthboth subcultures's members are extremely passionate about what they doboth subcultures have ideals founded on the freedom to wear, do, and act how you please.And most of the music is pretty similar if you cut out the distortion and screaming.This comes from a lifelong metalhead and hippie. Metal doesnt have to be about darkness and pain as some have stated. in fact, theres an entire genre called power metal that aims to lift the spirit and empower the listener with a very very good type of energy. look up a couple of bands like gamma ray (hell yes), hammerfall, and edguy. in the death metal department, id check out kataklysm. theyre out of canada and my fav death metal group (and the vocalist is so good, you can understand him 100% of the time while still having cannibal corpse style vocals)
hellsmoke
@hellsmoke
14 years ago
5 posts
I'm a true black/death metaller (pure underground) and i am wearing dreadlocks neglect method almost 2 years now... stop listening to numetal and mainstream stay true.. there is no god and fuck christianity... stay true and peace out!!
updated by @hellsmoke: 07/23/15 08:16:01AM
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form