Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

essential oils for dreads and scalp health

Arden Rayne
@arden-rayne
4 years ago
18 posts

It's not enough oil to make your hair look oily. I use coconut oil, hemp and Argan oil if my hair feels dry. and sometimes Cocoa Butter. I have had a bottle of Sandalwood for a very long time. If you get pure therapeutic grade oils you will not need to use more than 1 or 2 drops.

updated by @arden-rayne: 07/10/15 02:25:57AM
Arden Rayne
@arden-rayne
4 years ago
18 posts

I do not buy the ones in the store because they are not therapeutic or food grade. they contain solvents and chemicals and are not pure. That is why I recommend, Young Living Oils and Mountain Rose Herbs. I still investigate to find new places that offer therapeutic grade oils. All the oils I get are pure and most of them may be ingested. There are a few that are NOT to be taken internally; Wintergreen and Jasmine. I take a good amount of the oils internally. They are their own kind of medicine and I really love oils.

Arden Rayne said:

It's not enough oil to make your hair look oily. I use coconut oil, hemp and Argan oil if my hair feels dry. and sometimes Cocoa Butter. I have had a bottle of Sandalwood for a very long time. If you get pure therapeutic grade oils you will not need to use more than 1 or 2 drops.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,412 posts

missed ya arden!

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
MegN
@megn
4 years ago
12 posts
thanks!! :)
Shannon aka dorkpixie
@shannon-aka-dorkpixie
4 years ago
23 posts
What if you have combination hair; oily roots, dry ends?Also, a friend of mine swears by patchouli oil and peppermint oil for sinuses. A drop of each on a rag or towel and enjoy. I personally do not like any kind of mint; but this actually smells great! <3

--
~Namaste
Marc Gravel
@marc-gravel
4 years ago
123 posts

I just looked that up. Seems like its quite possible that It may cause gynaecomastia in boys.. As long as its only in prepubecent kids then i will keep using it... if not.. I should stop lol

Dias said:

Chamomile and peppermint are two others that can be used.

Chamomile has antimicrobial properties and could lighten the hair slightly.

Peppermint doesn't do much for the hair, but does give a tingly, invigorating feeling to the scalp

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that all essential oils could produce allergic reactions in certain individuals. I'm allergic to two of the oils SE mentioned.Always do a spot test on your skin first, or better yet, get a doctor to run a full allergy test.

Also, this is more debatable, but there is some evidence that it's a bad idea to use lavender oil when pregnant, or if you are a prepubescent boy. There's not enough evidence to say for sure, but the oil has been implicated in developing gynaecomastia (man boobs) in boys.

Arden Rayne
@arden-rayne
4 years ago
18 posts

For sinuses I would use Eucalyptus (there are 3 different ones) and some really good mixes. I kept this information for hair and dreadlocks. There are some oils that are NOT recommended if you are pregnant. There are sites on the internet that list oils to be avoided. I would hope that most pregnant women check everything out. Some of those sites are very cautious with the oils. Many of us have used most of the oils anyway. During the first trimester is the time to be careful with many things and of course some of the oils.

Take care.

Arlequine Mardoll
@arlequine-mardoll
4 years ago
12 posts

Eucalyptus works indeed so well for sinuses ! I love it !

Today I washed with baking soda and ACV again - starting to get quite big knots, hehe - and I used Myrrh essential oil in the BS. According to my sources, it is antiviral, antiinfectious, antiparasitic, and good for irritated skin.

I added only 4 drops for a liter of water, and rinced thoroughly, but my hair still scent a lot like myrrh now. I so love the smell ! Was half a good idea though, because the oil formed some kind of small resinous "stones" in the bottle, didn't dissolve or disperse at all. I'll try to find a solution to that because I had to be extra careful not to let those "stones" get out of the bottle and tangle in my hair...

Andrew DiBiasio
@andrew-dibiasio
3 years ago
8 posts

The recipe up there for dandruff, Im not really getting. Can I just add more drops of whats recommended into maybe half a gallon of water, pour over my head and let sit a few minutes and rinse? Im having really bad dandruff and need a solution. Also, it says that I can use some oils in my rinse and not wash them out and leave them in my hair. Does this mean that after my BS wash, I can soak my hair with water mixed with some drops of , lets say lemon oil and maybe lavender, and not rinse it out all week until I shower next? Or is it okay to only leave certain essential oils in my hair all week? Im kinda confused here.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,412 posts

yourd want teatree and rosemaery and yea u can leave em in

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international

/ 10

Dislike 0