Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

should i get dreads?

Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
This. You have to be ready for the rude remarks, looks, and sentiments that will at some point come from having dreads. Be prepared for complete strangers feeling that they have the right to tell you that they hate the way you look, or that you're 'doing it wrong'. Personally, I couldn't see pouring a year or better into a 'hair style'.... it takes a ton of time, and a ton of patience with yourself and with other people. Dreads cause people to be outwardly ignorant and rude for little to no reason. I'd give it a lot of serious thought. They won't look like dreads overnight... as a matter of fact, it'll take months before many people even recognize what exactly you're doing with your hair (took most of the people I work with 6 months to realize that I had dreads). If you really think you're ready then jump in; we'll be more than happy to support you. Just remember that it's not all roses and perfect dreads from day 1. GoldenEagle said:
For a lot of people having dreadlocks becomes a journey.
If you aren't willing to be patient with yourself and others around you. Do not allow your hair to form into dreadlocks.If you are willing to be patient with yourself and others around you. Go for it.

updated by @faelwynn: 07/09/15 03:45:27PM
Julie Ellis
@julie-ellis
14 years ago
76 posts
well i think im gonna go with natural neglect, i was informed from the get go that they don't look perfect in the beginning, just like with everything else it takes time. im thinking that it'd be a real good "excercise" to teach myself to have patience. i have a daughter and i think it can help with that too...stretching my patience and whatnot. i also believe i can handle critisiscm, it will probably take some support, since my family doesn't agree either. but whatever...okaysooo i have sea salt, i went and checked..its in rock form, but we have a grinder if need be..i forgot to look for baking soda, but i can get that. so what exactly am i doing, i looked at the faqs, and i still can't really grasp it.just don't brush my hair anytime, make sure sectioning isn't thicker than i'd like, how do i wash it? do i just scrunch it with baking soda, lol what does baking soda make it smell like? or do i make it squeaky clean, every 2 or 3 days...and i think thats all i got for now.sorry for so many questions
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Mix the baking soda with water and pour over your head while you are in the shower or taking a bath. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes and then rinse it out. If you want to you can use your palms or the pads of your fingers to work it in a little bit.If you want some a little bit of lathering action add a few drops peppermint oil to your mixture.How much baking soda you use may be different than what other people use. I typically use one tablespoon of baking soda per eight ounces of water. Try different ratios of baking soda to water until you find the mix that works for your skin and hair type.Baking soda doesn't smell like anything and washing your hair with it will leave your hair smelling like nothing also. If you happen to add any essential oils to the mixture you wash your hair with the smell from the oils goes away after your hair is dry. Baking soda does have a slight salty taste to it though.If mixed together in such a way that it makes a watery paste with a few drops of essential oils like mint, lavender, rose oil you'll have a decent exfoliant for your face. Throw in some epsom salt and you will have a decent body scrub.Going with the "Patience/neglect/natural Method" all you need to do is just keep your hair clean on a regular basis and pull sections of hair away from each other. Toss the conditioners and hair brushes, hair curler/flat iron. You can put beads in your hair and/or wrap sections of hair with embroidery thread if you want. Julie Ellis said:
well i think im gonna go with natural neglect, i was informed from the get go that they don't look perfect in the beginning, just like with everything else it takes time. im thinking that it'd be a real good "excercise" to teach myself to have patience. i have a daughter and i think it can help with that too...stretching my patience and whatnot. i also believe i can handle critisiscm, it will probably take some support, since my family doesn't agree either. but whatever...okay
sooo i have sea salt, i went and checked..its in rock form, but we have a grinder if need be..i forgot to look for baking soda, but i can get that. so what exactly am i doing, i looked at the faqs, and i still can't really grasp it. just don't brush my hair anytime, make sure sectioning isn't thicker than i'd like, how do i wash it? do i just scrunch it with baking soda, lol what does baking soda make it smell like? or do i make it squeaky clean, every 2 or 3 days...and i think thats all i got for now.sorry for so many questions
Tony Goodtime
@tony-goodtime
14 years ago
57 posts
Yeah, Your already really preety, dreads would just make you that much more preety ;)and honestly, who cares what people say lol my and Lil Tuchis motto is "dont judge me, double cup me" YuH DiG
Julie Ellis
@julie-ellis
14 years ago
76 posts
thanks for the info. and oh i can dig it :P can i still put my hair up?
MzElaineous
@mzelaineous
14 years ago
87 posts
Yup, you can still put your hair up, but not too tight as it will prevent movement to make knots/create weak spots. I only put my hair up when I go to school and as much as possible I leave my hair down. Oh and when I need to be really presentable for long hours at a time, I just wear a wool tam and tuck my hair in loosely. Julie Ellis said:
thanks for the info. and oh i can dig it :P can i still put my hair up?
Mia Elizabeth
@mia-elizabeth
14 years ago
45 posts
Your gunna look great! :)I am on my two week mark of my dreading journey.Goodluck and happy journey!
Julie Ellis
@julie-ellis
14 years ago
76 posts
i thought that you want em to be dry..i think i may be able to handle oily..im willing to learn at least. Pierre Gussman said:
Honestly, I think your're the only one who can answer that question. For me, I thought about it for a few weeks and slept on it for a few months. Everyone is different. Just make sure your ready because its a journey. A oily, messy, annoying journey. But it can teach you a lot. So have fun with them!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well caucasians want the hair to be dry africans want it moisturizedi think she had oily hair to begin with si washing less yto reduce oiliness meant dealling with oiliness till it adjusted (i think)but your right oily hairs not ideal for dreading thats why u want it to adjust

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
DreddieFreddy
@dreddiefreddy
14 years ago
30 posts
My reason for starting dreads was exactly the same as yours! (except i dont have time to brush my hair on account of loving long hair and being half black-knots-) Just make sure that your ready for the commitment. The secret to dreadlocks is TIME. Like I've committed to having my dreads for at least 3 years before I seriously consider going back to brushed out hair

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form