Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I got my first rude comment

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
orgrandpa, samson in the bible got his strength from his dreadlocks, don't you think your a lil old to be testing your strength against the biblical strength of a mighty dread like samson?i wouldnt want to hurt you so please dont even try.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/11/15 11:46:06AM
Daniel
@daniel
15 years ago
118 posts
i wouldnt worry about it. ive gotten several ignorant comments about my hair as well as several racist ones (my grandpa asked me if i want to be a "dumb n*gger") if you think your gonna lose sleep over snapping at her then i would apologize, otherwise its not worth it.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
to that id reply no i dont wanna be dumb..but stupidity is not race specidfic as you just proved..thats why im dreading to not be like you Daniel Ordonez said:
i wouldnt worry about it. ive gotten several ignorant comments about my hair as well as several racist ones (my grandpa asked me if i want to be a "dumb n*gger") if you think your gonna lose sleep over snapping at her then i would apologize, otherwise its not worth it.

--
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
I really like this. It shows them just how narrow minded they are... My mom is still giving me suggestions on what to do and said this morning.. "I'll just be happy when the top stops looking like that...:" I said "what at the roots, yeah that is never gonna happen so quit expecting it to." then left for work... Everytime I am leaving the house especially for work she trys to make them look "better" It's frizzy... tough!!! soaringeagle said:
to that id reply no i dont wanna be dumb..but stupidity is not race specidfic as you just proved..thats why im dreading to not be like you

Daniel Ordonez said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
for 15 years i never had a conversation with my mom that didnt have some mention of cutting shed make scissor motions with her fingers before even saying hi..but then 1 day we were out shopping and a group of conservative grey haired old ladies started swarming around me saying theyd never seen hair so beautiful before (all wanting to touch em too)from that day on my mom hasnt said a word..your moms not as concerned about how u look as she is how your looks make her lookher tune will change when she sees u get more admiration then insults or at least thats my experience

--
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
Yeah she grew up an Air Force brat so she was never allowed to do anything "crazy" She should know by now with my tattoos and piercings there really is no stopping me and she should just get used to it and try accepting it more.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
offer to buy her a peir5cing and a tat..if she tries stepping outside her lil box of conformity she will loosen up alot Izzy-licious said:
Yeah she grew up an Air Force brat so she was never allowed to do anything "crazy" She should know by now with my tattoos and piercings there really is no stopping me and she should just get used to it and try accepting it more.

--
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
I wouldn't feel too bad sweetheart. Some people are just narrow minded and will treat others miserably based on common misconceptions. Now, personally, I would do as you're thinking of doing, apologizing for losing your cool and then offer to open her eyes to the world of dreading. If she is still being that way then just cut out the drama tumor and move on. My first nasty comment actually came from a crazy homeless man. He said that dreads made people look like a dog that was neglected and never groomed ( I couldn't help but think of a Komondor, a type of dog who's coat, according to the AKC show standards, should fall into natural dreadlocks. You should google it if you've never seen one!) and I simply told him that my dreads were extremely clean, but that they aren't for everyone, and if he didn't like them then that was his problem. I then just walked off and smiled in the knowledge that I have some of the cleanest, attention grabbing hair that anyone has ever seen.Don't let your dreads be a point of stress and contention, and don't let others cause them to be. If they don't like them then that's their problem. You love them! Let that love shine! Regardless what people say! My dreads have given me the ability to say 'no' to what people expect of me based on my appearance, and to surprise them when they really get to know me.
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
no matter what you look like, what your beliefs or or any of that ppl are gonna have something rude to say. i mean my son is almost 16 months. yes months old and since hes starting his dreads iveheard people snickering saying, " thats sad" or " why would you do that he dopnt know any better" and ppl look down on me for letting him have dreads. but i look at it this way, no matter how ur hair is when ur younger u didnt make that choice. my husband and i both have dreads and its like dont you think we have the right to have our son look like us too. if he gets older and wants it cut he can and seriously if you keep tabs how many ppl tell u that its cool or cute? we get ppl stopping us all the time saying how cute it is but for some reason us as human beings keep the negative comments in our heads. but unfortunatley if it wasnt your hair they were draggin on it would be something else. its call closed mindedness and unfortunatly if you have something unique and different about you it doenst matter how good of a person u truly are. only those that can see through your diffrences are the only ones worth it. shell come around eventually
tha tron
@tha-tron
15 years ago
147 posts
kind of sux. like everyone said people tend to be pretty closed minded. I agree with SE though, the best way to go about it is to be calm and explain. you'll get that person to listen to what your saying. If your angry you'll get a more defensive response.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form