Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Out of curosity which is worse?....crotchet VS. Backcomb

Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts

hah, just to be a devil, why do we call them "dreadlocks" as this term actually only refers to rastafarianmembers they are actually just locs/locks.I realise they came to prominence with people like marley so the mainstream just "adopted"the term dreadlock but it is actually incorrect terminology.

I know it would near impossible to remove the "dread" term and i try not to use it when describing my own locs, so really this argument is pointless as the majority of people dont have "dreadlocks" they have locs/locks.

Happy hair to all..

(oh and this was printed to act as a tension breaker not to cause more distress)

updated by @dave2: 07/23/15 05:04:49PM
Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
13 years ago
120 posts
It's really obvious to me why this little (insignificant) detail has cause so much controversy on this site I've been seeing it but haven't really added my two-cents. I think people who started their dreads with a starter method feel that calling "neglect, freeform whatever" dreads natural implies that there's aren't (and it seems to.. -okay your dreads are natural so my dreads are...?) And I definitely wouldn't say natural is just there definition, if anything neglect would be there definition because that's all I've ever heard them called besides on this site. I think this whole calling "neglect dreads" "natural dreads" thing may have sprung up because calling them "neglect" has negative connotations? That's what I think, maybe we should just call dreads dreads. And if someone asks we can tell them how we did "or didn't" do them.
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts

ugh...it is tiring, can we leave it alone? We know what SE's definitions are for the purposes of the site, others know what their own definitions are and whether theymatchor not, this is SE's site, and there is a purpose to it! Which, by the way is to help people with theirjourneysas well as our own,not argue with eachother whenever someone asks a question. He obviously acknowledges the opinions of others, but as they are often expressed inappropriately, like on someone's discussion not so related to the arguement, I have to agree with trying to squash it! It is out there, do what you want, say what you want, but keep to the point in someone's discussion please!

So sorry Supp, I don't know from personal experience, but what I've read from other people's experiences is that both are damaging, crochet probably moreso because you poke into the dreads, breaking hair. Backcombing initially damages the hair, but I can't see it doing any further damage if it is only done once....now I would imagine that backcombing then crocheting probably shortens the life expectancy of them alltogether.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ythis has gone on long enouygh maxe started it here then rawsum creatted the gtooup where ppl all got together (all 8 of u) to form wghat ammounted to be a hate group a buncha whiners whining abiut why do natural dreads get to have sub methods why do they get to use the term natural at all it was a bunch of whining and you still are whining arent you? and after the group was creatted rawsulm brought it right back here

het over it the term is what it is it needs no discussion it needs no endless arguments it needs no hate group to conspire and plan a revolution..the arguments just ned to end..

im ending them

you cant change the definition ofg a term simply because u want to so stop trying and accept it..

the end

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ourdub
@ourdub
13 years ago
47 posts
my backcombed dreads seem to be doing fine other than a little akward pulling on occasion.. can be painful. my crochetsed dreads dont take in new growth very well and some have broken off in their weaker spots. i would feel safe to say at this point - my backcombed dreads are much more healthy.
Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
13 years ago
120 posts

Hmm, I saw that group I didn't see any hate or conspiring going on... If a term is only accepted as that term by a few people (which I say on the basis of never actually having met a person in real life who calls "neglect dreads" "natural dreads") you can hardly just say "natural dreads are natural dreads get over it" especially since it has negative connotations. But I'm willing to agree to disagree (which I don't even disagree, I just don't care) if you guys are, why not just let everyone have there own opinion?

Lol obviously we are all digressing here. Sorry, Supp..

Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts
I had someone at work once ask me if they fall off...I was taken back, not that I knew of, but yeah I guess they will break off if damaged huh? I am happy you have some healthy dreads!

ourdub said:
my backcombed dreads seem to be doing fine other than a little akward pulling on occasion.. can be painful. my crochetsed dreads dont take in new growth very well and some have broken off in their weaker spots. i would feel safe to say at this point - my backcombed dreads are much more healthy.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ok i just checked the search records the site was found 43,000 times by the search terms natural dreads forums search natural dreads and see how many siters there are many many blogs ..but there are alsopo locticians using the term very omproperly (and organic dreads as well which is a natural method) these terms have been misused to advertise and market clearly unatural dreads as natural further misinforming the public of what natural dreads means in fact causing many ppl to believe bno dreads form natiraly all dreads come from a salon

this is why it is so important that the meaning is so clearly set..if it is not understood that dreads...natural dreads indeed do form naturaly the very basic knowledge of how dreads dread will be lost forever and dreads will be a patented property of the salons who creatted them u wont have dreads but sisterlocks weirdo locks nappy locks so on and so on

the understanding that dreads do form naturaly and that the dreads alowed to form naturaly are natural dreads must be presserved for the understanding of what dreads are..

otherwise we miht as well just give up and open a salon ourselves

Gabe McCoy said:

Hmm, I saw that group I didn't see any hate or conspiring going on... If a term is only accepted as that term by a few people (which I say on the basis of never actually having met a person in real life who calls "neglect dreads" "natural dreads") you can hardly just say "natural dreads are natural dreads get over it" especially since it has negative connotations. But I'm willing to agree to disagree (which I don't even disagree, I just don't care) if you guys are, why not just let everyone have there own opinion?

Lol obviously we are all digressing here. Sorry, Supp..

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ive seen many break from interlocking crochet (alot) felting ofcourse twisting ..even palm rolling excessivle

ive lost the ends off mine from being stepped on (and beard sat on)

but to break off at the roots or anywhjere above waist level is definaterly from damage done

1 guy here way back last year hbad way over crochetted dreads..he dove in a pool (high dive like 10 or 12 feet) the impact of the water broke 4 dreads right off! 1 healthy dread should suport hundreds of opounds (whole heasd 30 tons or more) thats alotta weakening

Crystal O. said:

I had someone at work once ask me if they fall off...I was taken back, not that I knew of, but yeah I guess they will break off if damaged huh? I am happy you have some healthy dreads!

ourdub said:

--
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts

Wow! That is impressive, I suppose I shouldn't worry then. :)

soaringeagle said:

ive seen many break from interlocking crochet (alot) felting ofcourse twisting ..even palm rolling excessivle

ive lost the ends off mine from being stepped on (and beard sat on)

but to break off at the roots or anywhjere above waist level is definaterly from damage done

1 guy here way back last year hbad way over crochetted dreads..he dove in a pool (high dive like 10 or 12 feet) the impact of the water broke 4 dreads right off! 1 healthy dread should suport hundreds of opounds (whole heasd 30 tons or more) thats alotta weakening

Crystal O. said:

ourdub said:

/ 8

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form