Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Out of curosity which is worse?....crotchet VS. Backcomb

supp
@supp
13 years ago
81 posts
So out of curiosity, I was wondering which is worse (Just keep in mind im going neglect, so don't bother telling me that neglect is the best method, because that's already what im doing =Nywhoo I was wondering, is backcombing or crocheting worse for the hair/dread formation?I hear alot of negativity talked about crocheting, yet can't see how it could be much worse than backcombing when both are pulling the hair ways it doesn't want to go.Any info on this would be much appreciated (sorry about grammar&spelling, it's late here in Melbourne =]Mike
updated by @supp: 02/14/15 03:27:15AM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
From the experiences people here have posted I would have to say crochet is worse. I have always gone the natural route but there's a few people here that have started or maintained with crochet and had a long time of recovery just to get their dreads healthy again. With backcombing I don't think I've heard too many negatives. Maybe only with people that had severely damaged hair due to bleaching then they backcombed too aggressively. I dunno maybe I'm not the best person to answer, it all seems too time consuming for me when I can just wait and get the same results.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
actually my name had nothing to do with my choice of method. I chose it because i don't wear make up, shave or eat processed foods. I try to live as natural a lifestyle as possible, it didn't even occur to me the drama that would ensue over a word to describe doing nothing! I prefer to call them natural because IRL that's what we all call them. Even those of us who did choose a different method.I have a pretty large circle of dready friends and they would lol if i said free form or any of the other silly names people who have used a starter method have come up with on the interwebz. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but I would appreciate the respect of allowing me to make my own choice of what I call my own dreads and I will do the same for everyone else as well. <edit> honestly you can all call my dreads dog shit or fried chicken for all I care. I think people maybe need to grow a thicker skin...lol
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
crochet is far far far worse backcomb mangles the cuticles a bit but crochet breaks the hairs completely

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

natural dreads is already understood to mean dreads thsat form on theyre oewn ..its a catagory with 3 methods witthin it just like salon dreads is a catagory with a dozen methods in it..

why the hell do ppl onsist on changing definitions that are widely accepted

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dude u made up thre terms unsatural and non method

natural dreads fave neglect freefoem and organic based on wether any control at all (not methiods) is used as it secyioning or seperation

these are co0ncidered methods by everyonr

\you are confusing things domngt u see that and nobodty is elevating natural above all other but you i guess why do u insist on changing the terms unless u somehow feel inferuir

i am getting sick and tired of this damn argument invading every single thread

get over it already

the terms are understoof by virtualy everyone

natural dreads form on theyre own

ant method used to form dreads are not natural dreads

calling them unatural idss you ..they just simply do not fit in the catagoryt of natural dreads

now knock this shit off im serously sick of it

nothing will be gained by adding more confusion

--
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
Rawsum it really feels as though you are trying to cause a rift where it isn't needed. Why do we all have to agree with you or even at all? Why can't we agree to disagree and use whatever terme we wish? I don't understand it but you're coming off like a dictator.I've never called anyone's dreads un-natural (ok maybe johnny cleans but I honestly thought they were a wig at first) Why does every post from you have to turn into you trying to convince somone of the wording you like? I think you have so much more to offer this forum, you have some great experience you can share with those that need help but that is all getting lost with your constant arguing in threads where it isn't necessary. I'm asking you as a (e) friend to please stop, it isn't helpful. I'm tired of being attacked when I have no desire to argue with you or anybody else. No matter how many times you bring it up I will continue to use the terminology that I have used for over 12 years and you may continue to use whatever wording makes you happy and I will continue to respect that even if I happen to disagree...
Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts

As a person who started with crochet and backcomb i'd say crochet is the worst.(two weeks of maintaining then neglect)

If done excessively it will un-evenly pack/knot the hair into the dread creating tight spots which will restrict movement and slow the locking process dramatically and they can become quite stiff.

My locks are a year old now and im still trying to loosen them up more i have some real tight spots in some from crocheting loops back in but they are comin good it's just takin time but it defeats the purpose of having dreads cos i gotta fuss about them(ocassionally) to help them soften.

If you have to crochet- do it once and very minimal/softly thenput thehook away and just be patient.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

on facebook yestersay someone told me he crocheted for 6 months (4 years ago) it took a year and 1/2 to recover

once is bad enough but the more u do it the longer it will take to recover and u become a slave to the hook

--
Lex
@lex
13 years ago
217 posts

crocheting seems to cause more damage.

It drives me a little crazy that there are threads with half an argument in them. Delete all the posts involved or don't delete anything. This selective deleting is making a lot of unnecessary confusion. It also looks like a game of favorites.

/ 8

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form