29,640 posts
yea if hairs dread resistant its typicaly 1 of those things

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kelly
@kelly
14 years ago
5 posts
I really don't think that backcombing causes any damage if done correctly. I made extensions for my dreads out of human hair, using the backcomb method, which i did on a white table cloth. It would have been easy to see if any hairs had broken off, but none did. Also, you don't need to backcomb aggressively and fast to get results, all you need to do is push the hair back to the root, then push the next section back to the root and so on, and this will make a very tight dread immediatly that will only get better with time. Because this way of backcombing is slow it doesn't cause damage, or at least less damage than pulling apart clumps of hair that form on their own, like some people do with dreads forming naturally.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
you need a magifying glass to see the damage caused by backcombing but ANY combing against the grain no matter how gently causes damage, if you look at a hair under a microscope the hairs not smooth at all but covered in scales, these scales lay flat when combed with the grain but when combed towards the rots they are lifted up or broken off this causes a barbed like texture its damage that cannot be repairedmaybe your not breaking hairs to peices but it does cause dammage no matter whatand when u rip apart congos (which u need to do wether u backcomb or go natural) your just breaking connecting hairs outside the dread not internally

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
all the research i did came up with there is no way to repair the damage done by backcombing ..repair meaning something specific..possibly cover it up make it less aparent otr keep ot from getting worse (once those scales are lifted the underlying layeres are more easily damaged resulting in splitting etc) so i guess the dammages affects can be minimized using gunks but nothing as far as i know can repair it (except cutting off the damaged parts) ricky williams said:
well apparently there are some products that do repair the hair follicles they seal the shaft of the hairs back together

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
then it has to be a gunkand every pro hair care forum and answer board i saw said theres no way to repair backcombing damage.. howes it fuse it permenantly or does it wash off leaving the damage still thereits gotta be like a glue to fuse it ricky williams said:
no no gunks it smooths down the scales and fuses them back to the hair

--
DJ Salazar
@dj-salazar
14 years ago
23 posts
so I just started working on my dreads and I'm using the TnR method. about an inch and a half to two inches away from my roots I didn't rip hard enough on a couple and their kinda loose, any tips? can I tighten them up a little or do I just need to start doing them a little better?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
they'll be fine it will dread towards roots so even if u just tnr the very tips it will dread its way to the rootsbeing lil loose helps actualy as long as theyre good enough to stay togethertypicaly the 1st 1-3 u do will be lil odd and u perfect your technique as i go Dwayne Salazar said:
so I just started working on my dreads and I'm using the TnR method. about an inch and a half to two inches away from my roots I didn't rip hard enough on a couple and their kinda loose, any tips? can I tighten them up a little or do I just need to start doing them a little better?

--
DJ Salazar
@dj-salazar
14 years ago
23 posts
I think you're right, now that I've done a few they're coming out pretty sweet soaringeagle said:
they'll be fine it will dread towards roots so even if u just tnr the very tips it will dread its way to the roots
being lil loose helps actualy as long as theyre good enough to stay together

typicaly the 1st 1-3 u do will be lil odd and u perfect your technique as i go

Dwayne Salazar said:

updated by @dj-salazar: 07/28/15 05:00:51PM
DJ Salazar
@dj-salazar
14 years ago
23 posts
yeah I'm just gunna leave them, they don't look too bad to try to do again ricky williams said:
id just leave them alone or if you really want to you can try again on the loose ones

Dwayne Salazar said:

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form