Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

my thoughts on T & R

Jordan Skwarek
@jordan-skwarek
14 years ago
12 posts
After researching the pros and cons of backcombing and t&r I have decided on the latter. One problem people seem to run in to with the T&r is that the dreads can end up unraveling themselves or looking like braids. the solution? less twistingm, as stated by soaring eagle and many others. my thoughts were that the "twists" will naturally attempt to undo themselves, since it is an unatural way for hair to dread, and the ones that can't end up looking like braids. My hypothesis would be to twist one way, do as much ripping and pulling as possible in every direction, then twist the opposite way to allow more tearing. Then hopefully, the hair will knot up without having a continuous twist that wants to untwist.Can't wait to hear your perspectives and experiences.namaste
updated by @jordan-skwarek: 01/13/15 08:39:19PM
SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
i twisted too much my first time and after second day of em i did like wut u said up her and now theyre staying in great, well cept for in the back theyre a lil loose jus cuz my hair was layered in the bak but its all good theyre fresh hahah my one week will be tomorrow
Cavewoman
@cavewoman
14 years ago
165 posts
this is actually an interesting idea. definitely try at least one that way. also try some the regular way. interesting experiment =]
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I think you're overthinking this. My t&r dreads looked kinda like funny braids for a week or two, but they quickly sorted themselves out. Backcombing is no more natural than t&r... which is why we have a separate method of dreading that we call the natural/neglect/patience method. In the end, your dreads are going to turn out the way they want regardless of how they start out. Any method is just a loose guideline of what the dreads will mature into. Also, there are people here and in other places that have had no t&r fall out, or all of their backcombing fall out. Like I said, I think you're overthinking all of this. Just do what you want to do/what's easiest for you and your situation and the dreads will form anyhow.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
That sounds about right. When TnRing to avoid the twisted braided look you want to untwist the hair after every twist. Twisting the opposite direction would do that very well :)
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
you'll just figure it out. i'm sure everyone has a different method and it takes a little while until you figure out a technique that comes naturally and works best for you and your hair, but it will work itself out. just try it and see what happens.ps. my tnr still look pretty braidy for the most part. the newest ones aren't even a week old. i was looking through them this morning and a few in the back have already lost the majority of the braidy look. those ones are only about two weeks old, but i sleep on my back so there is more friction back there. all the loose hairs that used to surround the braid has kind of molded and wrapped themselves around the braid, and the braid is at the center kind of... i don't think the braidiness matters, as long as you end up with a nice tight dread that doesn't unravel. it's gonna go away.
Jordan Skwarek
@jordan-skwarek
14 years ago
12 posts
Thank you all for your input! haha and yes i do tend to over analyze big decisions, but it was my intuition that gave me this idea, which never lets me down, so i'll give it a go. i'll post a new thread when their done. (I may not get around to it for a week or 2 though)
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Regardless of which direction you twist and then rip. Your dreads are going to unravel partially. Even more so if your hair is shorter than 6 inches.I let my hair grow out for two years and I still had my dreadlocks unravel partially
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form