Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

whom loves wax??

Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
i love you Jess! completely agree. this post was started to stir shit! I'm not commenting on the wax debate Jess Gergely said:
some people like the way it looks, & would rather use it for looks. it's their choice, i mean, we've done everything we could to steer people away from wax use, haven't we? we've done our shares of complaining & bitching about wax, so why do we have to travel that road again? i do believe this post was sort of made to stir up trouble, & i can see that's it's going in that direction soon. wax shouldn't be debated, & i do believe that if someone wants to use wax on their dreads, well..we've done our share, like i said. if they don't believe us, or choose not to care, then they'll get what is coming to them. but i honestly think this thread needs to go off into the woods & leave us all alone.

i do sense rudeness & an argument stirring up already, so let's stop before we hit the storm, yeah?

updated by @kath: 07/23/15 03:37:32PM
shaun saunders
@shaun-saunders
15 years ago
64 posts
i didt make this to start shit i honestly wanted to know who has used wax and wether it was good what ive seen is people with "natural dreadlocks" say dont use it but thats coz there natural i want input from others
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
Yeah, definitely was time for sleepXD
Greg Slater
@greg-slater
15 years ago
6 posts
I've had my dreads for like three years now, originally backcombed and going on the advice of the guy who dreaded my hair, who'd had his for 6 years and another friend of mine I used wax consistently for at least 6 months and then every so often up until maybe last year when I realised how much damage it was actually doing. The wax in some of my dreads had hardened and become heavy enough to really weaken the roots. I've had to cut some of these heavier ends off and the insides are absolutely disgusting. It's almost rock solid in some places and although its obviously been able to dry properly and not moulded, the wax itself has just collected dirt and grime and just turned almost black and seaked up the centre of my hair.I wish I hadn't used wax.Don't use wax is my advice.I'm gonna try ironing out as much of the wax as I can followed by a few baking soda washes and another iron and see how it stands. I'll probably split and end open again to see how it is and if it's improved enough I think I might try just leavin them to recover in a tam...if not...I dunno.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
post this in this thread too http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/dreadwax-why-ya-dont-want-it and join the wax recovery group i just madei wasnt to have a clue as to just how many have used wax and had to start over or tried to recoverwhen we know lil more bout percentages who were harmed it gives the argument against wax more impact (like if we say 70-89% used wax the 1st time and 90-100% were harmed by it had to cxut and start over etc whatever the actual statistics may be) Greg Slater said:
I've had my dreads for like three years now, originally backcombed and going on the advice of the guy who dreaded my hair, who'd had his for 6 years and another friend of mine I used wax consistently for at least 6 months and then every so often up until maybe last year when I realised how much damage it was actually doing. The wax in some of my dreads had hardened and become heavy enough to really weaken the roots. I've had to cut some of these heavier ends off and the insides are absolutely disgusting. It's almost rock solid in some places and although its obviously been able to dry properly and not moulded, the wax itself has just collected dirt and grime and just turned almost black and seaked up the centre of my hair.
I wish I hadn't used wax.
Don't use wax is my advice.
I'm gonna try ironing out as much of the wax as I can followed by a few baking soda washes and another iron and see how it stands. I'll probably split and end open again to see how it is and if it's improved enough I think I might try just leavin them to recover in a tam...if not...I dunno.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
I used wax the first set I had.. they lasted about 1 month and a half... It was awful.I spent $16.00 on a thing from Knotty Boy.My friend had to help because I couldn't reach the back to properly apply the suggested amount.I had to daily "fix" my dreads to make them presentable for work.They were constantly unraveling since no actual locking was able to happen.I am also rather lazy.I would just throw my hair up in a pony tail pre-dread because I hated doing it and fussing with it when the style flattened an hour later.So why in gods name would I want to spend 2 hours every few days re-waxing ( per johnny clean's advice).I eventually started neglecting them. They looked so weird and not it a good way like my new set does.My hair hardly saw the light of day because I had to keep them under a wrap at all times so shit wouldnt get stuck in them and the wax wouldn't get mixed up in the bangs I had that weren't dreaded.I live in Phoenix AZ and it was June and July pretty much 110+ every day. I was always hot and sticky and not because I was sweating. I would walk out to my car to get something with out a cover on and the wax would LITERALLY melt by the time I got TO the car.My new dreads were started with twist and rip since it WILL NOT dread the natural way. And that is all I did. Sometimes I play with the ends and do a little more twist and rip. Other wise I wear them out and proud. They don't stick up in funny directions or poke my boyfriend in the face when we are sleeping at night. I don't fell sick and gross and sticky all the time and there is nothing stuck to my dreads that I can't easily get out. I love to touch them were as before I "dreaded" having to deal with my dreads.I hope this helps you see another point of view from someone who was on both ends of the spectrum :DLove~Joy~Peace~PatienceIzzy-licious
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
my pov= the wax made my hair look fucking stupid, the back combing alone would have been fine, wish I never used it, especially for as long as 3ish months, glad I stopped when i did, Ive gotta a couple hard dreads like the above^ not as bad but a few of them don't feel right *ones I remember using alot of wax on, since then i've gotten it out as far as I know, but still just gonna wait it out,sure at first I thought it was nice since it smoothed your frizzy hairs over, wished I had looked into it earlier.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
all you who were harmed by wax join the new wax recovery grouplet your numbers be known

--
Angel
@angel
15 years ago
77 posts
I never really used wax, it was to thick for me. But I did use some "twists n locs" natural honey locking formula with honey and aloe vera. They would look nice for the couple days until I would wash my hair the stuff came out easy. And back to the frizzies. About 6 days ago I gave in and tried the beeswax on the tips to see if it would help. Man it felt nasty, sticky and the oil would be on the back of my neck. The only thing the beeswax did for me was find the site lionofzion which lead me to this forum. I GOOGLE'D what does beeswax do for dreads. So no I didn't love wax and I still don't love wax. I wouldn't recommend it either.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
well glad the waxy stickiness brought ya here :) at least thats 1 good thing wax does..sends ya runiin lookin for a way to get it out

--

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form