Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Loose Roots

Sawdog
@sawdog
15 years ago
8 posts
I am having trouble maintaining my roots they are so loose. My hair is still kind of short, the middle has locked up all the way down to just above the tips but the roots is still straight, so I was thinking about using the crochet needle for the roots like I saw in one of the dread maintenance videos. What do the dread community think?

updated by @sawdog: 02/14/15 09:38:21AM
Daniel
@daniel
15 years ago
118 posts
bad idea, crocheting is really bad for the dreads, breaks lots of hairs and looks very fake. Best advice i can offer is wait, it will lock up.
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
i did a little bit of that with a particular dread that was givin me problems and the crochet didn't do anything for a root (it mostly seems to be effective towards tips and bodies) however it won't really help with causing new growth to dread *your more likely to just undo any currently dreaded growth*rubber bands didn't help either, after over 2months it was more or less just slightly dreaded, recently nowabout 3weeks after takin the bands off im seein it dread up on its own finally,how much length is in your loose roots at most? * i see your hairs kinda shorter to begin with, but I think in all honesty your dreads are looking good I think in some time you'll see more of that hair begin to dread, even my problem one had about 2+ inches of normal hair be4 it began to finally dread,anyway another suggestion for maybe future reference is you could try taking a small bead and placing it at the root, that could help as well,
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
my hair is doing the same thing, basically the middle looks awesome but the roots and tips are still not dreaded. But if i learned anything from this experience it is that dreads will pretty much take care of themselves. And if you were to crochet (which I wouldnt if I were you)you will make the dreads tighter to your head but if your dreads get too tight to your head it will hurt. and they might stick out kinda funny too. and plus the damage the crocheting will do to your hair, not worth it. Rock the natural look, because it is pretty awesome
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
I believe you should leave them alone. With your hair type you are going to have some amazing locks. If you stop maintaining them you will most likely find that they will lock up at the roots perfectly. From the pics it looks like you still have a good ammount of shrinkage to go. Maybe it's just the way my hair is but comparing my dreads to the loose hairs I have, the loose hairs are about twice as long as the dreads.
Matthew
@matthew
15 years ago
109 posts
I don't understand how dreads could look, "fake", if they're not synthetic, or attached to hat.:|Anyway, time is your best friend when it comes to dreads.(:How far along are you? Daniel Ordonez said:
bad idea, crocheting is really bad for the dreads, breaks lots of hairs and looks very fake. Best advice i can offer is wait, it will lock up.
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
Maybe not fake as in synthetic but more cartoonish....If that helps at all. Matthew said:
I don't understand how dreads could look, "fake", if they're not synthetic, or attached to hat.
:|

Anyway, time is your best friend when it comes to dreads.
(:

How far along are you?

Daniel Ordonez said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
your roots will always take care of themselves bit they will never lock right up to the scalpnor do u want them to..if they did..ouch..plus how would u clean the scalp?or scratch an itch?they will always have an inch or 2 loose at the roots,.even up to 3..(normal is 1 tho) thats nothing to worry about and gives em movement roomrelax

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Daniel
@daniel
15 years ago
118 posts
they just look too perfect i guess Matthew said:
I don't understand how dreads could look, "fake", if they're not synthetic, or attached to hat.
:|

Anyway, time is your best friend when it comes to dreads.
(:

How far along are you?

Daniel Ordonez said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
they look like a dread wig..none of the natural features real dreads have

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form