Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I have done everything 'wrong' and my dreads are awesome!

Tara C
@tara-c
13 years ago
644 posts

It's cool that it worked out for you, but there are plenty of people it hasn't worked out for. The reason people hate wax so much for the most part isn't necessarily cos they think it ruins every single person's dreads, but because it can, and often does. That, plus it's unnecessary unless you want to make them look perfect straight away. There are plenty of people on here that speak about using the wax once and it still taking them months to wash it out. Or one guy who cut open his dread after an entire year of washing out the wax, and the hair being covered in wax and dirt. For you it's just hair, but imagine having to shave off your hair because a product you were told you needed wrecked it? It's more than hair or a hairstyle for a lot of people

If you want to vent or want to show that wax didn't hinder your progress or weaken your dreads, then that's cool, but you have to understand that people here are often against wax simply because of the horror stories that a LOT of people have told regarding their experiences with it. Nothing wrong with trying to inform people of that and trying to warn them

updated by @tara-c: 07/10/15 12:42:39AM
Mao
@mao
13 years ago
49 posts
nice dreads!
Mao
@mao
13 years ago
49 posts
+10

ElaurenG said:

I think it was clear from Leah's initial post that she had some venting of frustration to do. She was open about that need. Unfortunately, it is common to come across folks who feel judged and oppressed by what they perceive as a rigid dogma regarding dread formation and maintanence on this forum. The line between acceptance of difference and faithfulness to one's own beliefs is a difficult one to walk.Personally, I don't feel great about the "get in line or go somewhere else" message that I am hearing. Meanwhile, I also understand the need to get information outto people about methods that have been harmful to some. I hope that there is some happy medium that this community can find, a balance of tolerance and integrity that can be stuck.Just wanting to voicethat wish into the universe.

Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts

honestly the only thing this thread has manged to highlight is that while many people can write not all can read.

Jack Roth
@jack-roth
13 years ago
298 posts

Wow guys all she was saying was "Hey look i used wax and backcombing 5 years ago and check it out they are doing allright", everyone else is getting hyped up about it ! Shes not condoning the use of wax, she not telling you to use it infact she'll probably tell u the opposite. This just gives hope to the people out there that did u wax at the beggining. My locs were backcombed and wax and im not gonna tell anyone to use wax but my locs have turned out wonderful and i love them.

No one has been saying use wax here

Its all the neglect method guys getting irate for some reason, like u cant even tolerate a wax started dread around.... deep guys.

Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts

absolutely agree Jack, enough with the horror and a bit more tolerance and understanding.

xxMercy
@xxmercy
13 years ago
26 posts

seriously! i didn't even start my dreads with wax but now i kinda wish i had just to stick it to these fascists. lol i wish i were were joking about the fascism, but i'm pretty much not.

Jack Roth said:

Its all the neglect method guys getting irate for some reason, like u cant even tolerate a wax started dread around.... deep guys.

xxMercy
@xxmercy
13 years ago
26 posts

i understand this is a site geared towards natural dreads, and i love being on my journey.... but hair is already dead people, you aren't gonna kill it. and if you really do end up screwing up your dreads, tough titties for you, guess you gotta start over.... but telling someone to go to a different forum because you don't like their methods and what not?? lamediggity. let's grow up and get a long, people.

just gettin sick of the animosity here is all. =[

Tia
@tia
13 years ago
24 posts

Thank you, Dave. Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading!

Are we not judged enough by others for everything? I came to this site because I wanted to meet like-minded people and be able to speak openlywith acceptance... Luckily, most that I have come upon here are kind and open-minded.

Kathleen
@kathleen
13 years ago
28 posts

I did twist and rip. I personally I don't think that just because I didn't do it completely natural I will have less of a "journey" than anyone else. I also don't think that just because someone likes the look/ or fashion of dreads that their journey isn't real either. We all wanted them for different reasons and we all have pasts that usually propel our actions. Tomarginalize someone for the path they took to get somewhere defeats the reason I am doing mine and the reason I came to this site. It just turns into a different group of judges. You can have a group of suited judges or a group of dreaded judges. A judge, is a judge. Let's welcome everyone's journey and come together instead of separating ourselves from one another. It's really ridiculous and quite sad actually. There is no "one way" for anything in life, including dreads. ((Let me share my reason:I have always felt different. I never fit in. Just for the fact that my hair was frizzy I got made fun of. I have always pictured myself with dreads.I always wanted a big happy family because I didn't have a close family, except for my kids and hubby now. I like the look of thinner dreads(which is why I started mine instead of all natural). I have always felt like a gypsy and wanted that feel. I don't believe in corporate america and didn't want to fit into that. I don't use "dread products" because I don't want to support the monetary system that I don't believe in. I am looking forward to the whimsical moments when I can put beads in my hair that mean something to me.)) These are some of the reasons for me and I am sure they are not the same as everyone else's and you know what? That is o.k. : ) I am happy for everyone's journey no matter what path they chose and I promise NOT to judge you : ) <3

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form