Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shampoos and Soaps ~ Maybe get a list started

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

I used pure Aritha(soapnut) powder today and it worked very very well!! I do have hard water so the search has been quite fierce for something which is effective.

I took the pointy tipped squirt bottle I typically use for BS/ACV and put one cup of warm water in it, added 1 tsp aritha powder, and shook until bubbles formed and it was well mixed. There's still some grainy residue left in the bottom of the bottle but it rinsed clean through my hair. Also, when I had a bit left in the bottle I added more water, shook it, and had even more to use! Very cool!

Ok, here's my review of aritha:

I have baby dreads and have two which are forming up well while the upper layers of my hair are flyaways and proving stubborn. While I was using the aritha powder shampoo in the shower I thought that my hair was getting softer and it terrified me a bit. Once my hair dried, though, it was apparent I had nothing to fear-- the aritha actually helped my upper layers get more knotty instead of staying ambivalent to the whole dreading process.

All in all I'd say my little adventure with aritha went wonderfully. Using it in hard water meant that I didn't see as much clarifying as what I wanted/needed but I am happy with the cleaning it did. I'd say it cleaned about 75% of the buildup and my hair was tightened.

Here's a link to a reputable supplier for aritha powder if anyone is interested: http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=HERBARITHA&searchflag=1

Also, if you look on eBay there are some good deals on the Aritha shells themselves. You can use it for face, body, hair, laundry, dishes, anything really. Very gentle but effective in my opinion. If you use the halved shells you soak them for a few minutes in water then take the nut shells out(to reuse again and again) and use the water left behind. Once I scrape the money together I'm going to get some:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NaturOli-USDA-Organic-Soap-Nuts-PIECES-1-2-lb-80-loads-FREE-18X-BONUS-/160694639209?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256a259a69

updated by @angel-frye: 07/18/15 12:34:09AM
Melanie2
@melanie2
13 years ago
99 posts

I have been using Dread Fusion Dread Shampoo, a U.K made shampoo, available inanunscented bar orlemon scented liquid,for a few months. My scalp is less itchy than with the bicarb and vinegar plusI can wash my hair while I bathe rather than have my head hanging in the sink for 10 minutes. Does not lather much in hard water butcleans well. Leaves the loose hairs soft and fluffy,the dreads themselves areabit on the dry side but that isprobably due to the age ofthem, nearly 7 years.

Ingredients: Aqua, Pottasium Oleate, Pottasium Cocoate, Glycerine, Pottasium Citrate, Pottasium Palm Kernelate,Palm Kernal Acid, Cymbopogon

One thing that worries me is the use of Palm products, usually not environmentallyfriendly in their production.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

melam=nie try these no palm products and extremely ethical and no dread soaps ever been better foemy dreads www.dreadlockshampoo.com u will love em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Melanie2
@melanie2
13 years ago
99 posts

Thank you for the link, although the site does'nt seem to be working. I just looked up Satya Nag Champa soap at the site I used to buy alot of inscence from but it contains palm, coconutand olive oil, so I don't think I will use that on my hair.

What can I do for the dryness of my dreads? Aloe Vera gel?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

what isnt working on it? it should be and there are no palm or soy in her soaops no gnmo's

and the beer makes it so u need nothing for dryness

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i just went to the site it works fine

Ingredients: saponified oils of organic coconut oil, organic unrefined extra virgin olive oil, organic castor bean oil, kaolin clay, beer, essential oil

--
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

SE, coconut is in the palm family. I think that Melanie might have been concerned with the production and use of these: "palm, coconutand olive oil" in the soaps she's finding for dreads. News spreading around lately about the sustainability of palm plantations, I believe.

I know you love pimping out that soap, SE, but some people do have concerns about ingredients(health/eco/whatever) which means they need alternatives.

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/IndianSkin.asp

The above link is to fromnaturewithlove.com and directly to their Indian Skin/Haircare section. All of the grains and herbs listed there are used for skin and hair. Some are said to be drying, fortifying, or moisturizing. Depends on your needs and the ratio used.

So far I've tried henna, amla, and aritha. Henna is moisturizing, fortifying, and gives a brilliant red hue; I used it for years. Jamilla brand is the best in my opinion. Amla was moisturizing.. Aritha was drying but worked better with hard water than amla.

For the moisturizing properties I've been curious about oat grain "tea" as a nice conditioning rinse for mature dreads. Here's the reason why: if you take a small spoonful of dried rolled oats and put them in a half a cup of steaming hot water, let them sit for about five minutes, and then come back to scoop out some of that water in your hands you'll notice you have a very moisturizing... slime. Coat the back of your hands with it. Let it dry. Now rinse your hands clean. The hands feel smoother!! Oat bathes are recommended for people eczema all the time. It's soothing. And I believe it rinses clean away but helps the skin heal. Why not the hair cuticle? Oat 'flour' is used in a lot of soothing hair treatments and shampoos I've seen lately which tout natural ingredient lists.

Anyway, just some ideas to throw out here.

Johnnie Elizabeth
@johnnie-elizabeth
13 years ago
5 posts

Alright y'all I'm having a really hard time finding a soap I like. I tried Dr. Bronners, but it leaves my hair feeling nasty. My mom concocted a shampoo a while ago which worked at first, but now it's like everything just makes my hair feel gross = / I'm at a really troublesome point here, I've being naturally dreading for 15 days and I feel like I can never wear my hair down because it looks terrible. Moral support and suggestions are welcome = ) Thank you!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dr bronners and a natural home made soap wont work in hard water

this will its all natural but the beer in it makes it work in hard water and it cleans very well due to a special cosmetic clay in it and it makes your hair incredivbly healthy you might want to try both the bar and loiquid

www.dreadlockshampoo.com

--
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

How about this one?

Mysore's Herbal Care Soap:

http://www.mysoresandal.co.in/product_details.php?pid=5 "Soap is made from vegetable oils, 100% biodegradable ingrediants, Natural Essential oils, Skin conditioners, anti bascterial agents, Neem extracts.

"Mysore Sandal's Herbal care soap contains 19 Aroma therap essential oils like - Basil, Cedar wood, Citronella, clove,coleus,Eucalyptes,Geranium, Guaicwood, Lavendin, Lemongrass, Mentha Citrata, Nutmug, Orange, Patchouli, pine, Palmrosa, Petit grain, Rosemary and Ylang Ylang."

My own past experience with Mysore Indian(continental) soaps has taught me that they are soothing but not overly moisturizing. I remember their sandal soap as being the perfect face soap to dry out oily skin but kept it soft all day. I haven't been able to try this particular soap I mentioned above but I'd love to hear from someone who has and who has used it on their locks. I bet it'd be great!! The only 'conditioners' I've ever seen on Mysore's ingredient list is glycerin and/or a bit of lanolin.

Quirky sidenote: the 'Guaicwood' you see listed in the ingredients, did you know that there is a very common cold medicine made specifically from the guai tree? Mucinex. No shit! Guai soothes the mucosa and inflammation. In any case, kind of a weird tidbit of info but there you go. That's my useless two cent for the day.

If anyone tries this Mysore soap let us hear about it. Their sandal soap is DIVINE so I imagine this green rectangle of goodness to be just as heavenly. Mysore is world class soap. A+++++++++

/ 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form