Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shampoos and Soaps ~ Maybe get a list started

Melanie2
@melanie2
12 years ago
99 posts

I just ordered my first soap bars from Dreadlockshampoo.com Looking forward to having my locks smell of Nag Champa or Tangerine. Can't wait!! :D

updated by @melanie2: 07/18/15 12:39:15AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u will love em and write a review on the shop site and here when u get em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

tangerine? did you order the satsuma one? if so, i would love to know what you think of the scent when you try it. i want to order it but worried its going to be too strong.

Melanie Clark said:

I just ordered my first soap bars from Dreadlockshampoo.com Looking forward to having my locks smell of Nag Champa or Tangerine. Can't wait!! :D

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Gothika, we generally don't want to put 'oils' on our locks. Oils condition and soften. ESSENTIAL oils on the other hand, we can handle to a certain degree and a certain amount because essential oils are 'tinctures' or are alcohol soaked leaves/petals/roots of the plant so we get the homeopathic properties of the plant itself in an alcohol base.

You'd have to list all the ingredients(in order they're given) on the bottle for us to check out that shampoo.

Now how's this for weird: I tried aritha(soapnut) powder in hot water as a 'tea' shampoo. It left residue like hell. Really left me itchy by the next day, too. Couldn't stand it. A few weeks later I made aritha liquid by using the actual soapnuts themselves and used that 1:1 with water and... no residue! It's mind boggling. I don't understand it at all.

I'd advise someone with mature dreads to use aritha liquid shampoo, though; not someone with baby dreads. Too moisturizing for babies or 'tweens'; however I did have a few more mature dreads lock up like crazy after that stunt. Quirky, for sure. I ended up with a spiral lock that looks like a unicorn horn.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

main and tak[]le? ive used it but i wouldnt recomend it

gothica the 1st ingredients are sls which should be avoided

i wouldnt use thsat

www.dreadlockshampoo.com is the best

bronners bakling soda acv other options

lush has a few bars thatare..ok some i wouldnt yse

after usingtghedreadlockshamooo.com ones i dont think id use any others

but if u gotta theres trader jou]es teatree tingle i hears ok

unfortunately many of thee are easierto get in usa

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
V2
@v2
12 years ago
75 posts

I have use horse organic soap myself, i find it makes my hair rough so i stopped.

Rebecca said:

I own a mule, so for convenience sake, i've been using horse shampoo. i feel like it's working pretty well? but if this is really detrimental to my hair someone should let me know.

Green Head
@green-head
12 years ago
31 posts

I used to use original source shampoos because they're vegan and i dont have much money so i get cheap stuff. i duno if i'd be able to use it now, anyone???

i want a natural wash i can make myself and use on days where i don't use tea tree baking soda or sea salt, using them too much gives me bad scalp.

i can't buy dread shampoos and stuff....too poor and no card!

help appreciated xx peace

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

"a natural wash i can make myself"

Soapnut to the rescue, Ginge! Cost per wash it is like oh... $.02.

www.naturoli.com Their cheapest pack is $8.95 for a 1/4 lb. They have a better deal on eBay where they have a HUGE presence because... they have the BEST soapnuts available today. Highest quality. eBay was where I got my starter pack of 1/2lb for $14.95 + free shipping. A steal, I tell ya! Five soapnuts have lasted me two weeks and that's with washing both my cats twice(flea season here), four loads of laundry, and washing my hair once.

Now I use it for laundry, my cats, for everything INCLUDING my own hair from time to time.

Don'ts:

• Don't get their actual 'shampoo' off their website, it's too moisturizing for us.
  • Don't use their soapnut powder -- it leaves a weird residue on the scalp. Not sure why exactly.
  • Don't use their super concentrated Extreme 18X liquid- it's too moisturizing because of the olive extract.

Follow the directions and make a soapy 'tea' out of the soapnut pieces . a 1/2 a cup will do ya per hair washing. So a 1/2 a cup of soapnut tea + 1/2 cup of water = bliss.

Just make sure you do at least a medium strength baking soda scrub first to hit your scalp good. When you are in the shower your soapnut 'tea' should already be cooled down. You can even chill it a bit in the 'fridge if you want. Makes for a refreshing rinse. Still scrub it around a bit on your scalp. Ohhh it is marvelous! Balances the ph in your scalp beautifully. Very gentle. The epitome of gentle, actually. There is no better soap for sensitive skin.

I don't recommend using JUST the soapnut tea itself on dreaded hair. It doesn't seem to clean very well. But for replacing the vinegar step it works like a charm.

Anyone else with questions about soapnuts/aritha/soapberries(same thing) just shoot me a private message if you want help but don't want to start a thread or whatever here. I'm pretty practiced using this stuff now. Read all the articles n stuff on naturoli.com for loads of info. Nature loves us and soapnuts prove it.

Oh and helpful hint when using this stuff in the washing machine: for the love of all that is holy, do NOT make a super concentrated soup of this stuff in a container and let it sit for days brewing with the nuts and then pour half the liquid in your washing machine. You'll have bubbles up to your ceiling!!!! I learned this one the hard way. Too much is waaaay less than what you'd think.

Soapnuts are low sudsing except when water is hitting it in a container. Like oh.. a washing machine you just turn on or a sink when you're filling it up to wash cats!!

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

"too poor and no card."

Get one of those refillable Mastercards/Visas at a store. That's about the best way I can think to get this business done online or over the telephone.

/ 9
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form