Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shampoos and Soaps ~ Maybe get a list started

HendrixMama
@hendrixmama
13 years ago
61 posts
I have been using Trader Joe's Tea tree tingle for 2 weeks now, and I LOVE IT! No more white crap on my head and it's not making my hair too soft or anything! Finally!
updated by @hendrixmama: 07/10/15 01:05:23AM
earthbaby☮422
@earthbaby422
13 years ago
14 posts

try Mane n' Tail Shampoo and conditioner!

i absolutely love the feeling and smell of my dreads after using this shiz!!

their products are amazing and cheap! originally designed for horses but work great on locks too!! you can pick it up at albertsons, cosco, some walgreens and family dollars, or online at their site.

i also use the rinse that SE suggests. it works great and leaves your locks feelin luscious!

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
your locks must be pretty mature to be able to use conditioner. {jealous}

earthbaby422 said:

their products are amazing and cheap! originally designed for horses but work great on locks too!! you can pick it up at albertsons, cosco, some walgreens and family dollars, or online at their site.

i also use the rinse that SE suggests. it works great and leaves your locks feelin luscious!

earthbaby☮422
@earthbaby422
13 years ago
14 posts
They're about 16 months. all locked up. while theyre locking up, i suggest the rinse with baking soda. i used like 1/2c. baking soda, 15 drops lavender oil, 15 drops rosemary oil, and about 5 drops of tea tree oil. and it smells delicious:) its gentle enough for baby dreadies too:) good luck!

Heather said:
your locks must be pretty mature to be able to use conditioner. {jealous}

earthbaby422 said:

oostan heimach
@oostan-heimach
13 years ago
38 posts

hummingbird creations

RSavage26
@rsavage26
13 years ago
50 posts
Not sure if they've been mentioned but I've had some luck with a shampoo bar I got from Chagrin Valley. It was the Ayurvedic Herb one. The only thing is that it can be expensive due to the shipping and handling.
Aurora Borealis
@aurora-borealis
13 years ago
34 posts
Soap on dreads has never seemed like a good idea to me. I think it's too hard to get out and the bubbles and residue that get soaked into the dread makes me nervous. Soaring Eagle's recipe is the best: baking soda, tea tree oil, lavendar oil and others for smell. It works great and I also use it as body wash, hand soap, and deodorant.
Storm
@storm
13 years ago
36 posts

I found Dr. Bronner's lavender bar soap at my local Walgreens and started washing my hair the other day thinking that it would wash out the residue from my other shampoo but after reading this page everyone's been saying Dr.Bs leaves residue??? I was hoping to use it with my dreads. I don't particularly care for how it makes my hair feel (and I haven't even started locking yet, just started prepping). My hair is oily within a day of washing (when before I could go 3 or 4 days without needing to wash if I didn't straighten my hair) [I live in Humid NC maybe that's why?] and it makes it feel almost sticky esp when it's wet. Do you need to dilute the bar soap? Or should I use something else like the Desert Essence that was mentioned a couple times for the oil but no residue? Or should I just go simple and do BC and sea salt rinses?

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

its probably leaving you sticky because of your water. a lot of people can't use dr. bronners because of hard water. your going to need something with a detergent or your going to be left with a greasy mess. look for a good organic shampoo and add about a tbs of bs when you wash to get a little extra cleaning. works well for me and my crappy water:)

Storm said:

I found Dr. Bronner's lavender bar soap at my local Walgreens and started washing my hair the other day thinking that it would wash out the residue from my other shampoo but after reading this page everyone's been saying Dr.Bs leaves residue??? I was hoping to use it with my dreads. I don't particularly care for how it makes my hair feel (and I haven't even started locking yet, just started prepping). My hair is oily within a day of washing (when before I could go 3 or 4 days without needing to wash if I didn't straighten my hair) [I live in Humid NC maybe that's why?] and it makes it feel almost sticky esp when it's wet. Do you need to dilute the bar soap? Or should I use something else like the Desert Essence that was mentioned a couple times for the oil but no residue? Or should I just go simple and do BC and sea salt rinses?

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i'm actually saving up to get a water softener for our shower. i really want to be able to use all the maylees bars i've bought on my hair and not just my body.

/ 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form