Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shampoos and Soaps ~ Maybe get a list started

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
funny you mention this because i was thinking the same thing. i figure if the minerals in the hard water build up on my shower walls then they're most definitely building up on our hair and skin. probably why a lot of the things we try in our hair never seem to get it really clean.

YOURhereticSELF said:
So I've noticed lately that after washing my hair with BS/ACV My hair hasn't been feeling as clean as it was, felt odd, I don't really know how to describe it. So I started to think, I don't get a build up like others have said they have had (white mud), my scalp is very clean. My hair however has felt......odd. So for the hell of it I decided that I was going to use some of the Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo today, but like others, I don't find the smell that great. So, anyway, I thought, you know I've been putting rosemary oil (has definitely helped my dandruff ailment) in my baking soda, why couldn't I put it in the shampoo. My hair now feels clean again and smells wonderful! I've been pondering whether or not my hair water could start to build up in my hair over time because my scalp was very clean with the baking soda. I think I'm going to start using the Neutrogena shampoo maybe once a month. Thought someone might find it helpful. Any thoughts?

updated by @heather: 07/18/15 12:45:32PM
jordan scott
@jordan-scott
13 years ago
5 posts
I use Irish spring bar soap it works wonder on my dreads
chelsea grace
@chelsea-grace
13 years ago
3 posts

Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo..Has a cool tingle...Have also recently tried the Nature's Gate Herbal (meant to grab Hemp) thinking they had replaced their Hemp product with Herbal product...however I see both sold now. The herbal has given me dandruff and is quite moisturizing. Not sure thats what I was looking for.

I had some knottyboy peppermint shampoo given to me. I feel that it was super dandruff triggering...which Im not sure I understand. I thought it was for treating dandruff? I also feel its a bit overrated, price wise. I am looking into getting some simple, clean, recipe for my hair that smells nice.

Also wondering lately if the dandruff comes from my very low pressure showerhead, am I not getting ths stuff rinsed well enough?

Nikheila Gomez
@nikheila-gomez
13 years ago
2 posts
johnson and johnson's baby shampoo. it's easy to wash, good texture and less residue. oyeah, no more tears ^_^
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
if i remember right, when i would wash my kids hair with baby shampoo it would make their hair silky soft. just make sure it doesn't have any conditioners in it.

Kristina P said:
i used to love the smell of baby shampoo... maybe i will try the method baby shampoo

Nikheila Gomez said:
johnson and johnson's baby shampoo. it's easy to wash, good texture and less residue. oyeah, no more tears ^_^
Mao
@mao
13 years ago
49 posts

hey.. does anyone tried Avalon Organics? Does it make your hair soft or conditioned? Though I'm using bs/acv since day 1, I just wanted to try diff. stuff. but I don't want to ruin my babies eh.TIA.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i haven't tried their shampoos but i've read reviews on them and most people say it makes their hair soft. probably not a good one for dreadlocks.

Mao said:

hey.. does anyone tried Avalon Organics? Does it make your hair soft or conditioned? Though I'm using bs/acv since day 1, I just wanted to try diff. stuff. but I don't want to ruin my babies eh.TIA.

Mao
@mao
13 years ago
49 posts
wooh..I won't risk! thanks Heather..maybe I'll stick to bs-acv combo! :)
Nicole Binns
@nicole-binns
13 years ago
22 posts

I recently did some maintenance for the first time on the huge monster lock on the right side. Below the mature part of the lock, the loose ends had gotten tangled and looped in a way that was annoying because it created a huge thick ball at the end of the hair. So I started untangling it with conditioner and a comb. This is the first time I have tried to work on any of my locks in any way.

At first, I was using 'Dove Damage Therapy Shine Boost.' It was cheap and it was something I grabbed at random because I was shopping at a store that didn't have my favorite conditioner that I used to use before I had dreadlocks. The Dove conditioner made the hair all waxy and it stuck together so badly that it was still almost impossible to untangle the loops that I was working on. The 'shine boost' actually worked, though - the hair that I put conditioner on had a very bright reflective glossy shine (not that I care - I'm not aiming for 'shiny hair' right now).

I gave up on that kind of conditioner and bought my favorite kind, Finesse - I got the 'moisturizing' kind. It was so much easier to work on untangling the loops and I made a lot of progress on the big knot, although I'm not done yet and will have to work on it again. I always liked finesse because it didn't add waxy buildup to my hair.

HendrixMama
@hendrixmama
13 years ago
61 posts
I have a dread that has a big ballish thing at the end... the top is probably the most mature it can be for being 6.5 months old, I actually think it's the most mature one on my whole head... anyway.... I have left mine alone and it seems to be slowly but surely working its way out just fine. My hair has probably shrunk to 1/2 the length it was before on that dread, and I think it's just how dreads form. I don't know... but seems like alot of work to untangle a dread ball that most likely will just work itself out in the end? Just myopinionthough. :) Good luck!

Nicole Binns said:

I recently did some maintenance for the first time on the huge monster lock on the right side. Below the mature part of the lock, the loose ends had gotten tangled and looped in a way that was annoying because it created a huge thick ball at the end of the hair. So I started untangling it with conditioner and a comb. This is the first time I have tried to work on any of my locks in any way.

At first, I was using 'Dove Damage Therapy Shine Boost.' It was cheap and it was something I grabbed at random because I was shopping at a store that didn't have my favorite conditioner that I used to use before I had dreadlocks. The Dove conditioner made the hair all waxy and it stuck together so badly that it was still almost impossible to untangle the loops that I was working on. The 'shine boost' actually worked, though - the hair that I put conditioner on had a very bright reflective glossy shine (not that I care - I'm not aiming for 'shiny hair' right now).

I gave up on that kind of conditioner and bought my favorite kind, Finesse - I got the 'moisturizing' kind. It was so much easier to work on untangling the loops and I made a lot of progress on the big knot, although I'm not done yet and will have to work on it again. I always liked finesse because it didn't add waxy buildup to my hair.

/ 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form