Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Beads and baby dreadies

Cargo Chick
@cargo-chick
14 years ago
28 posts
I know people suggest wearing beads over loops to make them go away, and I feel like it would help me separate some of my dreads that are trying to join up...but every time I find beads that don't fall out I feel like they are squishing my babies and that can't be good for them, can it?Should you not wear beads on baby dreads...or only for short periods of time? Or am I just paranoid? lolThanks!
updated by @cargo-chick: 01/13/15 08:46:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well the dreads will thicken so a bead that sticks in a baby dread will be stuck practicly forever since the dread above and probably below will thicken upu can get beads that sorta stick but move that u can take on and off but iu might lose em too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cargo Chick
@cargo-chick
14 years ago
28 posts
So is there any way to keep them in? I don't want to put in rubber bands...or am I just trying to add things too early? soaringeagle said:
well the dreads will thicken so a bead that sticks in a baby dread will be stuck practicly forever since the dread above and probably below will thicken up

u can get beads that sorta stick but move that u can take on and off but iu might lose em too
SaGem
@sagem
14 years ago
4 posts
My dreads are a month old and I wear beads. I try to keep in mind that since my dreads are not mature what SE said will happen, so I wear beads between washes. I wash every 3-4 days, so after my hair is fully dry I slip on the beads and there they stay until wash day. I take them out before I wash. I don't wear beads full time and sometimes I go weeks without wearing them. I have noticed some squished parts after removing the beads, but after the wash all is back to normal. They bounce back quite well. Baby dreads are in flux so keeping an eye on the interaction with bead&dread is very important. Experimenting is one of the best parts of the journey, have fun...dread&bead on :)
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
it's really just personal preference. I waited till about 4 months to start putting anything in my hair. I just felt like they were changing sooo much that I wanted to wait until they sorted themselves out a bit before putting anything on them. I'm getting close to 6 months now and I have a bunch of beads that i keep on but I'm glad I waited until they started to find there own way first. Separating is really very easy just feel around and you can tell when somebody's getting a lil too close to someone else and give em a good tug apart ;o)
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
yah SE is right, i wish i would have had that advice 2 months ago. on my 2nd month i put in a white plastic bead and now i cant get it off no matter how hard i pull. Sure enough, its thin where the bead is and thick and hard on either side of the bead just like he said. Ive been debating on either smashing the bead with a hammer, or leaving it on forever.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form