Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreadlocks driving me insane

Shuaib ahmed
@shuaib-ahmed
14 years ago
154 posts
Firstly, I just saw your picture and you are like <3<3 lolSecondly throw away the crochet hook it will damage your hair even more if you don't stop now. Your hair will start to frizz and loosen up when you stop crocheting them, if you choose to keep the dreads then let them frizz and after a while that frizz will start to lock up and be natural dreads then.... and trust me natural feels and looks soooo much better.I stopped crocheting them and they started to frizz up like crazy but now they are starting to lock up. if you dont want the dreads then when the dreads start to loosen up the best thing to do is to try conditioning your hair and this "may" or "may not" help you. But personally i think these dreads look sweet on you, just imagine how good the natural ones would look. if you do choose to keep the dreads and just go natural, make sure you wash your hair frequently with non residue shampoo like Dr. Bronners shampoo or wash your hair with baking soda- you will find other discussions on how to wash with baking soda.gd luck with the dreads......btw(love the t-shirt) x
updated by @shuaib-ahmed: 07/22/15 08:00:34AM
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Well if she wants she can comb them out, but she did have them for 6 months. ...That's a long time for it to end in such a bad way...If she can get back in touch with them and love themagain that would be much better I think.I hope that you can rescue them, but if you can't or don't want to you have every right to comb them out :)

FireChild said:
Tons of cheap conditioner and a strong comb. Have at it. Maybe the next time around will be better?why is everyone encouraging her to keep these dreads she does not want? Even if she salvaged them she's already go so many bad feelings towards them....
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
theres a reason why shes not loving them correct that reason and she will love em againits just the crochet and being dirtty thats got her not liking them FireChild said:
Tons of cheap conditioner and a strong comb. Have at it. Maybe the next time around will be better?

why is everyone encouraging her to keep these dreads she does not want? Even if she salvaged them she's already go so many bad feelings towards them....

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
maybe except for all the hair loss if we can save these and grt her happy with em thats best if not she can start over but her hair will be extra dammaged and thinned out

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
thats true and she can always decide to try that tomoro or next week or next month but isnt it worth trying to save i mean shes got hair to her waist thats alotta hair to loseand years worth of growthif washing and loosening it up stopping crocheting dont change her mind in a few weeks she can comb but i bet just washing makes a massive difference in her attitude Knottysleeves said:
But the hair's already damaged from all that crocheting, so even if she keeps the dreads and grows them out, there's a chance they'll break and/or thin out anyway.

Even if a set of dreads can physically be saved, sometimes emotionally and psychologically it's easier to cut or comb out and start fresh. Especially if they were started or maintained with poor techniques and the person wants to start over with a different method. Nothing wrong with that. Many of us on this site (including me) have done it and are MUCH happier with our new sets. :-)

soaringeagle said:
maybe except for all the hair loss if we can save these and grt her happy with em thats best if not she can start over but her hair will be extra dammaged and thinned out

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i talked to her on aim and shes perfectly happy trying the baking soda and saving them think shes just not happy with how they feel or are which is inderstandavble when theyre clean and sift though should be a while diferent stoty

--
Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
I 100% agree with this. I mean, thats what I did. I know how it feels to just hate what you have on your head. I had to comb mine out for that very reason. It gnaws at you constantly.If you truly want to start over, it can be done. You will need..conditioner, olive oil, a rattail comb, a brush, a fork, a friend and lots of patience. Do it slowly. Over a few days. Take your time with each dread. Start at the bottom and massage the conditioner and/or oil into the dread well.Then just start combing. I suggest alternating between combing and massaging to loosen the hairs. You ARE going to lose alot of hair, but remember, some of it is already broken hairs due to the crochet and some is new growth. Your hair WILL be thinner, but it will thicken back up with new growth.With both my posts and suggestions, I can say that I dont regret combing mine out one bit. Im very glad I did. BUT, compared to yours, mine looked like crap. (You can see them if you look at my timeline) Yours look really good and they look great ON YOU. Plus, mine were only 9 days old and they were so so hard to get out.The feeling that Im getting from your post is that you could love them if they werent so hgh maintanence and they didnt feel icky ( I get that by your washing routine, because 6 times in 6 months is NOT enough) When mine feel icky, I start second guessing my desire to dread. All it takes is for them to feel light and soft and that feeling goes away. No more crocheting! If they get fuzzy, wear a tam or a ponytail.My advice? First, try to love them again. It cant hurt right? If you cant, then take them out. Because once you start trying to take them out, theres no going back. Trust me :/.Heres my plan :) If you used wax or loc peppa or ANYTHING of the sort, get it out. Use Dawn or whatever it is everyone here suggests. Second, do the baking soda routine that I posted previously. I think if they feel good and look good, then you will fall in love again. It really is worth a try. If you still hate them, take them out. Knottysleeves said:
Even if a set of dreads can physically be saved, sometimes emotionally and psychologically it's easier to cut or comb out and start fresh. Especially if they were started or maintained with poor techniques and the person wants to start over with a different method. Nothing wrong with that. Many of us on this site (including me) have done it and are MUCH happier with our new sets. :-)

soaringeagle said:
recoverytrouble
@recoverytrouble
14 years ago
70 posts
Yep, I agree. Your dreads really suit you and it's be a shame if you decide to get rid of them. This is my own opinion though based purely on a single pic. I truly hope you try getting them as clean as you can and let them develop naturally a little further before making the decision. Not sure why you washed them so seldomly but twice a week keeps mine sweet as hell and they're only 2 months old. Yours will rock hard if you want em to :DGood luck Jenna.
recoverytrouble
@recoverytrouble
14 years ago
70 posts
Heh did you mean to reply in the other thread about dread names? I had both open in tabs and nearly did the same thing! ZuriYAH "Zii" said:
I named one Skippy. it's actually three that kinda bunched together. i dont mind though cuz they were reeeeeeeeaaally skinny. I kinda show favoritism towards it and i feel really bad. I mean, i don't want the rest of my baby dreads to feel bad, but i don't want this dread to feel unappreciated either. I "love them all the same", as most parents would say. I only want whats best for them. and for them to grow into strong, mature dreadlocs D:
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
ok crocheting sux and it's probably the hardest way to remove and still salvage hair. I have to tell you this DID make me LOL though. You're super worried about proving stereotypes wrong but you want to have your dreads for jamcruise in like January or something?? Why to fit into a stereotype? I don't get it if you hate them so much just cut them off or try to comb out. If it's an issue of not wanting to comb your hair on the ship you could get braids or something? Good Luck with whatever you do decide. I'm sorry to see someone so unhappy.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form