Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreadlocks driving me insane

jenna
@jenna
14 years ago
11 posts
i never said i was going to keep my dreads because of the jam cruise. i really don't have a problem "fitting in" anywhere i go, it's not about that. it's about how the negatives outweigh the positives.i said after jam cruise to actually set a date, and to give my hair some time to grow out so when i did take them out, i wouldn't have to go bald or have really damaged hair.it's not about proving stereotypes wrong or right, it just bothers me that i'm very stereotypical and my hair proves that. that bothers me, who cares?if my hair wasn't dreaded, i could definitely get by a lot easier. i don't know about you, but getting a job has been really fucking difficult for me. yeah, it sucks and i definitely don't agree with it, but what can i do? i need a job in order to pay for college. that's the bottom line.for some reason, i didn't find it necessary to go on dreadlock forums to research how to dread my hair. NaturalWomyn said:
ok crocheting sux and it's probably the hardest way to remove and still salvage hair. I have to tell you this DID make me LOL though. You're super worried about proving stereotypes wrong but you want to have your dreads for jamcruise in like January or something?? Why to fit into a stereotype? I don't get it if you hate them so much just cut them off or try to comb out. If it's an issue of not wanting to comb your hair on the ship you could get braids or something? Good Luck with whatever you do decide. I'm sorry to see someone so unhappy.

updated by @jenna: 07/23/15 04:37:45AM
jenna
@jenna
14 years ago
11 posts
i was wondering the exact same thing.. Shuaib ahmed said:
Firstly, I just saw your picture and you are like <3<3 lol

Secondly throw away the crochet hook it will damage your hair even more if you don't stop now. Your hair will start to frizz and loosen up when you stop crocheting them, if you choose to keep the dreads then let them frizz and after a while that frizz will start to lock up and be natural dreads then.... and trust me natural feels and looks soooo much better.

I stopped crocheting them and they started to frizz up like crazy but now they are starting to lock up. if you dont want the dreads then when the dreads start to loosen up the best thing to do is to try conditioning your hair and this "may" or "may not" help you. But personally i think these dreads look sweet on you, just imagine how good the natural ones would look. if you do choose to keep the dreads and just go natural, make sure you wash your hair frequently with non residue shampoo like Dr. Bronners shampoo or wash your hair with baking soda- you will find other discussions on how to wash with baking soda.

gd luck with the dreads......btw(love the t-shirt) x
jenna
@jenna
14 years ago
11 posts
i really don't think i would. my dreads don't look bad, i don't know why everyone keeps making it seem like they look shitty just because i crocheted them. Crixus said:
you are gonna have to get a haircut. don't shave your head, just cut at the roots, like 2 inches above and get a cute short haircut.. lots of girls have them.

as for your dreads.. Woah... i don't know what to say.... but i think if you did it natural you would comment completely different
jenna
@jenna
14 years ago
11 posts
i stopped crocheting and have begun mixing the baking soda/lemon/salt w water. i still have plans to cut them in the near future but am taking the right approaching in maintaining them until that time. thanks for the advice
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
You don't want to mix lemon with the baking soda. It will neutralize the BS before it get's to clean. Just mix the baking soda with water. Then use the lemon juice diluted in some water and rinse with that. jenna said:
i stopped crocheting and have begun mixing the baking soda/lemon/salt w water. i still have plans to cut them in the near future but am taking the right approaching in maintaining them until that time. thanks for the advice
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
nope I work for myself but I can see that for those that don't or can't find a job that is accepting, Dreads might not be for them.I was just curious because you said "leaving me able to have dreads for Jam cruise 2010" so I thought you wanted to be dreaded for that and I was wondering why. It was simple curiosity. I hope everything works out for you and you are happy with whatever your decision is. Many Blessings jenna said:
i never said i was going to keep my dreads because of the jam cruise. i really don't have a problem "fitting in" anywhere i go, it's not about that. it's about how the negatives outweigh the positives.
i said after jam cruise to actually set a date, and to give my hair some time to grow out so when i did take them out, i wouldn't have to go bald or have really damaged hair. it's not about proving stereotypes wrong or right, it just bothers me that i'm very stereotypical and my hair proves that. that bothers me, who cares?if my hair wasn't dreaded, i could definitely get by a lot easier. i don't know about you, but getting a job has been really fucking difficult for me. yeah, it sucks and i definitely don't agree with it, but what can i do? i need a job in order to pay for college. that's the bottom line.for some reason, i didn't find it necessary to go on dreadlock forums to research how to dread my hair. NaturalWomyn said:
ok crocheting sux and it's probably the hardest way to remove and still salvage hair. I have to tell you this DID make me LOL though. You're super worried about proving stereotypes wrong but you want to have your dreads for jamcruise in like January or something?? Why to fit into a stereotype? I don't get it if you hate them so much just cut them off or try to comb out. If it's an issue of not wanting to comb your hair on the ship you could get braids or something? Good Luck with whatever you do decide. I'm sorry to see someone so unhappy.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
changing anyone's mind about what???? Chewin Change said:
I'd say there's no changing anyones mind here in this thread. Oh well
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
Dreads are definitely not for everyone or every life style. Chewin Change said:
Keeping her dreads

NaturalWomyn said:
changing anyone's mind about what????

Chewin Change said:
I'd say there's no changing anyones mind here in this thread. Oh well
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
im just going to put in my 2 cents here.i definately see where you're coming from with wanting to cut them, especially for a job. the economy is in a slump and its hard for even straight-edged preppy guys with short hair and dazzling looks to get a job these days.The people in this thread have already given every bit of maintenance advice needed so im going to skip all of that and just say, go with what you feel is right regardless of what people on this board say. i do think you should try getting them uber clean and after that if you want to chop or brush, go ahead. you can always come back to dreads later down the road in life if you want. It would definately be best to leave dreadiness from a good, fresh perspective. meaning, you didnt like your first set, and maybe if you have a second set you'll be in a better position to have them and be happy with them. dreads are definately not worth keeping if you dont like them or dont feel comfortable or right with them at this time. the dread journey is a very deep and spiritual/emotional one, and one that usually requires the perfect timing in one's life for it to work out okay. maybe in a few years you'll get that urge again.For me, ive been dying for dreads since about 8 years ago in early high school. im glad i waited as my life would never have turned out the way it did if i had dreaded up then. i never would have had the jobs i had, the friends i met, id be a different person. now im 4.5 years out of school and dreaded, never had a single negative comment or problems with employers. thats just an example of timing. go with what you think is best.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I'm curious for an update!

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form