Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Loops?

Nimbostratus
@nimbostratus
11 years ago
30 posts

I started my dreads a couple days ago with the twist and rip method. As I started them I was pulling my hair toward the back of my head and now a few in front don't want to lay the way I dreaded them so the straight hair at the roots is looping up. It doesn't bother me much now but I was wondering if this is something I should expect to get better or worse as they mature? I assume if they lay the way they want for long enough they will dread the way they want as well but now would be the time to re-dread them if I'm going to. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

updated by @nimbostratus: 02/14/15 10:15:06AM
Brianna Elizabeth
@brianna-elizabeth
11 years ago
19 posts
well your tnr isn't technically a dread yet, it will all most likely fall out before you get a second wash done. the loops are a good thing its a part of the dreading process but expect all of these forced dreads to fall out at least partially, leave em alone the crazyness makes the journey that much more amazing, so go natural you wont regret it
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u didnt dread anything yet u just creatted a few knots to define the sections the dreadings just starting and includes alot of looping

if your worried about 1 lil loop on day 2 you got a huge surprise comming in a month or 2

looping is how they dread

its critacly nesacary

if you restart everytime they dio something unexpected you will never get to have dreads

they will change like living beings every day of your life practicly

let them go wild

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nimbostratus
@nimbostratus
11 years ago
30 posts

if they all fall out wont they just go back to being regular hair? should I have rubber bound at the roots? So far they are kinda unwinding but they haven't merged together. I like the sectioning I did so I hope i don't lose them (especially since it took 4 hours to do) lol.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi N. Twist and rip is only a blue print, They will NOT stay looking how they do now. The ideal way to start t&r is to let the hair separate naturally for a couple of weeks, then do the twists. So if you sectioned them on your own, some may be fighting to go where they would have naturally. You can't force them to stay in a certain direction, like towards the back, they go where they want to. Did you keep the sections no larger than 1 inch, any larger and they can take 24 hours or more to dry once mature.

Your changes will be shrinking, loosening, looping and frizzies. You can't change any this, it is part of the journey. If you wash & separate any joining sections, then you will be fine, that's all you need to do.

Don't worry about how they look, just enjoy the ride, Peace

Brianna Elizabeth
@brianna-elizabeth
11 years ago
19 posts
NO RUBBERBANDS EVERERR!!! all they do is melt and prevent the root from doing its thing, my head is covered in loopys and I love each one! almost each root has that same issue your describing its all normal and hair naturally dreads its IMPOSSIBLE to actually create a dread by hand in a day
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no rubber bands

and what will happen if they fall oit is they wik go back to normal hair..then dread naturaly

tnr is a wasted step its unesacary

all it does is define the sections where you wantthem to be..but they might not want to be there and might try to split at the roots into 2 dreads where they would section naturaly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nimbostratus
@nimbostratus
11 years ago
30 posts

That's true. Thank you for all the replies. The only thing I don't understand is that I haven't brushed my hair for years but it never dreaded on its own. I would just get one really huge knot in the back which id untangle by hand. So if these all unravel you'd think it would just go back to doing that. But I'll just leave it alone and see what happens. So far I love them.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Rubber bands break down in warm water and from shampoos, soaps, baking soda etc. When they break down, they can be eaten by your hair section and work its way inside the twist & rip section. Rubber bands get sticky when wet or deteriorating and and will attract lint, odors, pollution etc to get stuck to the sticky. No Good. Use beads instead=Good

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

"The only thing I don't understand is that I haven't brushed my hair for years but it never dreaded on its own."

That's easy. Your hair is too slick. Baking soda dries the hair and causes the natural friction of living and sleeping to slip it into tangles that keep instead of fall out as you shake your head.

If you keep using the BC and don't brush you'll see tangles galore sooner than you think.

SE's right, every day the look different. I have some locks that kink up in crazy ways at the root because of how I sleep smushed up on my pillow. It's all on one side of my head. The other side of my head is completely different! lol We just have to live and laugh at our goofy hair. It's unique and it's all us.

Barrellady's right. Let em swing free for a while and section naturally BEFORE doing tnr. Let the baking soda do it's magic.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form