Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Loops?

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

you may not have brushed but how you washed & touched or handled your hair may have made a difference. if you do get an area that is wanting to clump too big you can use wraps or beads to keep them apart a bit.

Nimbostratus said:

That's true. Thank you for all the replies. The only thing I don't understand is that I haven't brushed my hair for years but it never dreaded on its own. I would just get one really huge knot in the back which id untangle by hand. So if these all unravel you'd think it would just go back to doing that. But I'll just leave it alone and see what happens. So far I love them.

updated by @ixchel: 07/19/15 06:28:11AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i dont thinki anyone ever said they definately fall apart only that most likely some will tnr holds together better then backcomb but still theres a giod chance a few will fall out

now why u werent dreading b4..u were.. in the back at least and u kept taking it apart

the reast would too but u probly scrubbed it away while washing or drying

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
April Brown
@april-brown
11 years ago
49 posts

Mine are twist and rip and my roots are doing exactly the same thing. I'm only coming up on month two and so far all mine have stayed in but did loosen a lot. I have some crazy loops and bumps and stuff. I know their doing what their supposed to so I wear a lot of hats/tams/headbands for now. It gets discouraging but keep truckin.. You can see all my photos and thoughts on flckr here http://www.flickr.com/photos/43735941@N02/sets/72157632391504959/ it helps to know your not alone. Happy dreading

Patience
@patience
11 years ago
51 posts

Don't dismiss your huge knot - the first step of my natural dreading was a huge knot at the back! I separated it into what looked like natural places to divide it up and soon those sections with chunks of knot still on the ends were starting to look a little bit like dreads. They've a very long way to go yet (I'm at 5.5 weeks without brushing) but that huge knot in the back has given me a great start lol

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Wondering why hair does not dread when not trying: A few reasons why hair does not dread if you have not combed it in years is the care that you took to them. Our fingers have natural body oil, so when we touch our hair, we leave behind some oils, so any knots that may try to form would fall out. Most, if not almost all, shampoos have oils & chemicals & such in them that make hair silky. This coats the hairs, preventing knotting to happen. When normal hair gets washed, the head is scrubbed all over, & sometimes conditioner is used. For forming dreads, they should be washed with little or no touching to prevent removing any knotting process, that is why the baking soda wash is recommended when first starting.

So there you are, just a few reasons why.... I am sure there are more.

Nimbostratus
@nimbostratus
11 years ago
30 posts

yeah I have washed my hair a few times and they haven't fallen apart yet. some have kinda unraveled at the bottom like you said but none have come completely undone. Yeah that one big knot that was forming before was taking up a big chunk of my hair so if i would have let it go it would have congoed for sure. I'd have to break it down into 3 smaller dreads but so far its not trying to join with others. I don't know if that's something that happens right away anyways but i'll have to keep an eye on it. That guy is sneaky. Before I did the tnr i would get the tangle out and it would literally try knotting up again in minutes. haha Maybe that's a good sign though that my dreads will progress faster.

Nimbostratus
@nimbostratus
11 years ago
30 posts

Patience and April! you gals are only a couple months ahead of me so maybe I'll check in on your pictures from time to time to see what I should expect. haha Thanks for your encouragement everyone. I am very excited to see what the next few months bring. I am sure I will be posting a timeline at some point soon. I'm not even to a week yet though so it will be a bit till that happens.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form