Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

re-enforcement

Melissa3
@melissa3
12 years ago
29 posts

hey i have had my dreads going for three months an 13 days wo. Every time i approach someone with mature dreads asking about their methods and time line they havent been nice to me. not sure if its just the people i encounter.

anyway i just need some help, in the matter that my hair is like just normal hair and looks like it did before i started to dread them. others are getting knotted up very nicely. i am at the point where i wash it with dread head(not looking for new shampoo) i am over spending money on my hair. should i be palm rolling does that do anything?

I know dreads take a long time but i would also like the know the best methods that worked for people who have the nice round dreads. i also get there are some stages of mayham but pleasde help thanks so muchh

updated by @melissa3: 02/14/15 08:48:12AM
Dreaded reaper
@dreaded-reaper
12 years ago
2 posts

I poasted a similar poast whenmy dreads wereabout the same point your dreads are.You are on the right track. Mine took about 10 months beforI had any fulley locking dreads. I dilute Dr. Bonners 1 partto 10 parts waterwith a few drops of tea tree oil and sea salt. Washthem every other day or so. I dont do anything else other then make sure they stay seperated at the base. Yours might seem loose right now but dont worry you are on the right track. They will tighten.

christina popejoy
@christina-popejoy
12 years ago
91 posts

Hi melissa! I think they're looking pretty nice! You can see them starting to loop and zig zag which is great! Mine are almost at three months and no where near your knottiness! :D I hear that palm rolling doesn't really do anything much at all. in fact rolling could undo some of the baby knots that are forming i guess.

Nixxi
@nixxi
12 years ago
10 posts

Don't worry, everyone on here is super nice! :P I've only been dreading for 8 months or so and I have a bunch of loose hair too. I think your dreadlettes look wonderful! If your hair is naturally straight and fine it might take a little bit longer than someone with thick, curly hair. Sea salt helps the lockage. (And I've read on here that baking soda and apple cider vinegar washes are all the rage.) Just give it time!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

I am at the same timeline as you are. Yours are progressing well, so don't fret, it's a tough stage, but well worth it in the long run. In regards to dreadies you have encountered, perhaps they went the salon route, so they are not able to appreciate the journey you are taking, nor have any experienced words of wisdom to give. I met up with a gal last month who had 2 year old natural dreads, her second set, and she was very friendly and informative. Dreadies who have gone on the lengthy journey WILL take the time to talk and give you tips etc., they will remember their own journey with the ups & downs.
Hang in there & remember to be the one that helps when you are approached.
Cheers

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1 u used wax wax prevents dreading
2 u should look for a new shampoo thats very toxic and causes cancer dandruff psoriasis etc
3 palm rolling does nothing
4 just leave em alone do njothing
they look great really they are doing fine but the wax can hinf=der the process]and so can doing anything dreadheahq recomends

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Don't know what you're talking about, they look great to me :) everyone's hair dreads at different rate, but that seems perfrectly fine to me. They're dreading, so you know you're on the right path. It just takes time for them to be mature, and absolutely nothing but time will make them mature, so just enjoy the spontaneity and wildness of them while you can, cos once they're mature you don't see it as much and then you'll have the rest of your dreads' life to enjoy the roundness and maturity. But yeah, if you've used wax, get rid of that and they may dread a lot quicker :)

Melissa3
@melissa3
12 years ago
29 posts

thanks so much guyss, although i am obsessed with dreads there are some mornings i doubt myself. this is the most patient i have been for anyhting haha ill keep everyone updated with photos. yay. i also feel like it would be easier if i had a friend who i saw that was going through it as well haha happy dreading.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u have thousands of em..right here

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Melissa, I just gotta say that your dreads are looking really awesome and right on track. I remember seeing some pics you had a while back where the roots were so tight and the scalp was showing... now they look beautiful!

I'm just a month behind you and mine looks like a mess too. I just keep on going and try not to fiddle with them and they seem to be doing just fine. In fact, maybe it would help to look at the first pic you took and compare it to the most current? I know that looking at them every day may seem like there isn't anything going one but when I see my first picture I get super stoked about the direction they are going in. :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form