Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Any suggestions for separating dreads?

☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
For me and others in general. Separating newbies and separating mature dreads when they get too big.Mine are alright but some I made a couple a bit too big and before they get too far along I was just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for separating the dreadies :DThanksIzzy!
updated by @izzy-licious: 02/14/15 11:42:50AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
hmm well if itrs 1 solid dread theres not alot u can dobut if its just some hairs connected at the roots pull em in seperate directions tioll the connecting hairs break or let looseif they are too bound up u can try 2 thingsa conditioning spray or olive oil to help em loosen up and come apart or wiggle a finger under a few hairs at a time pull em upwards repeat till y ou release enough that pulling in oposite directions rips to the scalpbut if it is joined the length of the dread its not a good idea to try cutting or anythinghow thick is it..pics?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nick2
@nick2
15 years ago
10 posts
Yeah if it's one big dread it'll be a pain in the ass to separate. But it it's two, just pull them apart. Or if you're worried about being tough on your hair you could gently pull the hairs connecting them apart, then sew them into the right dread. I used to have to separate all my dreads every day, but they're starting to mature and I don't really have to anymore.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
better off not sewing them inif you just leave em alone they will automaticly either join the dread they wanna be in..or..become a baby dread

--
Nick2
@nick2
15 years ago
10 posts
Either way works. I guess the natural path is better :D
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
the olive oil is only for if they just do not wanna rip and u need extra help getting em apartu spray it just on the connecting partsand when u wash it should come out easy but yea u dont wanna use alot on all your dreades especially if young Dale D. Trapper said:
If they are young locks, I wouldn't use olive oil... I haven't tried it but it seems like it would easily contaminate sections that you don't want to come undone and be counterproductive to your knotting. Just rip, and rip often especially when your hair is wet. Don't get behind on your ripping unless you want a beaver tail, or lots of congos (which are badass IMHO)

--
Cracker
@cracker
15 years ago
15 posts
My loose hairs don't seem to form baby dreads. They just kinda stay loose. Is it just a matter of time before they dread up? My dreads are mature if that makes a difference.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
how long are theylength matters and..if u run your fingers thru emmine tend to dread at 4-6 inches or so Cracker said:
My loose hairs don't seem to form baby dreads. They just kinda stay loose. Is it just a matter of time before they dread up? My dreads are mature if that makes a difference.

--
Cracker
@cracker
15 years ago
15 posts
my dreads are around 14inches or longer. Id say the loose hairs are around 4-6 inches. I don't run my fingers through them. I just tie them back when I'm working.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
they should start dreading soon thenif not try sea saltif u do vinagar rinses or anything that light be affecting it

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form