Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

No idea whether I have leftover baking soda in my hair, dandruff, or something else...?

so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts

I might have a light case of dandruff; if ever there are flakes in my hair there are like, two, and it never gets worse. But anyway.. when I scrape my fingernail on my scalp, relatively gently, there is a whitish residue and I have no idea what it is or how to figure out what it is. Maybe I am not letting baking soda soaks rinse out long enough??

Very confused... Interested to see what you guys can tell me bout this

updated by @so-wouldve-i: 02/14/15 09:06:52AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

how are u mixing it it should pretty much evaporste the baking soda reacts with water turning to gasses unless you make it a paste or forget to stir and break up chunks

now if your not doing acv u can dry the scalp

if your not using teatree rosemary etc u can be getting dandruff

oppl who never had dandruff predread teand to get it when dreaded

so add tearree rosemary make it weaker soak longer do acv aftert

experiment till u get it right

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

everyone sheds skin cells..we have skin cells on our scalps. loose hair gets brushed on a regular basis. Brushing massages the scalp and takes most of the flakes away. You have spent most of your life doing this. Your scalp is used to that daily attention.

Now you have dreads. Can't brush any more but the skin cells are still shedding. So the dead skin just hangs around a little bit more. And the scalp gets a little upset because it isn't being stimulated.

Temperature changes also dries the scalp. So going outside in the cold and then walking into a heated home will have an effect on flaking.

While you are washing your hair...that white gunky stuff is skin cells and your natural oils that the water and cleaner is trying to break up.

If you are finding white stuff under your nails when scraping a dry scalp, it is most likely just dead skin cells.

I GENTLY scratch my whole head with my nails before i wash my hair to loosen up that skin. I alternate between shampoo and BS ACV. Every other week i mix about 1/4 cup baking soda with warm tap water in a gallon milk jug. I shake it real good to make sure it is all mixed up. Then i slowly pour it over my head...concentrating on my scalp. I let it sit for about 5 or 10 minutes. While it is sitting i again gently scratch my scalp. I rinse it well under the faucet...again concentrating on my scalp. In the meantime i have mixed up about a cup of vinegar , 5 to 10 drops of tea tree oil with tap water in the milk jug. I pour this mixture over my head. i gently rub my scalp for a minute then i rinse my head again under the faucet.

The next week i wash my hair with shampoo, concentrating on the scalp still!

I still get some flakes sometimes, but not too bad.

If you are using a sea salt spray, keep it off your scalp as much as possible. it will dry your scalp and make it flakier.

The longer you have your dreads the more your scalp will get used to the new routine of no brushing :)

I hope that helped

JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
13 years ago
217 posts

unless it stinks, who cares? it's just skin and it's normal.

i have it (always have since i stopped regularly brushing), and i don't use the baking soda wash, so it's not caused by that.

so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts
Easy enough for you to say.. Didn't you notice in the subject of this thread that I said I wasn't sure whether or not it was dead skin cells?

Eva Lovelocks said:

i have it (always have since i stopped regularly brushing), and i don't use the baking soda wash, so it's not caused by that.

so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts

I've only done the ACV twice because I am wary of conditioning too much. I have been using rosemary oil though-- but not as regularly as I've used baking soda.

It probably has something to do with it being freezing now too.

soaringeagle said:

how are u mixing it it should pretty much evaporste the baking soda reacts with water turning to gasses unless you make it a paste or forget to stir and break up chunks

now if your not doing acv u can dry the scalp

if your not using teatree rosemary etc u can be getting dandruff

oppl who never had dandruff predread teand to get it when dreaded

so add tearree rosemary make it weaker soak longer do acv aftert

experiment till u get it right

taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

the ACV does do a bit of moisturizing. But the important thing is that it neutralizes the BS and brings the ph lvl back to normal. It will keep the BS from drying out your scalp. Even a small amount of acv heavily diluted with water would help.

the only reason I use tea tree cause it keeps critters (lice) away. I have a major paranoia of getting critters.

so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts
I will keep this in mind from now on and will use a small amount of ACV more frequently. Does white vinegar too? Is it stronger/weaker?

taye said:

the ACV does do a bit of moisturizing. But the important thing is that it neutralizes the BS and brings the ph lvl back to normal. It will keep the BS from drying out your scalp. Even a small amount of acv heavily diluted with water would help.

the only reason I use tea tree cause it keeps critters (lice) away. I have a major paranoia of getting critters.

JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
13 years ago
217 posts

i'm confused by your reply. i wasn't trying to be rude... i wasjust trying to saythat i think it is just skin, and not baking soda since i have it too and i don't use baking soda. and thati wouldnt worry about it unless it's stinky or flaking off or something...

so would've i said:

Easy enough for you to say.. Didn't you notice in the subject of this thread that I said I wasn't sure whether or not it was dead skin cells?

Eva Lovelocks said:

taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

someone correct me if i am wrong but i believe that white vinegar is strained through coal tar or something similar? Whatever it was it shocked me. Rawsum had a link to celtic sea salt on here somewhere that also had an article about acv.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form