Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello all ^-^

Jessica Chastain
@jessica-chastain
14 years ago
11 posts
Hi, My name is Jessica. I have never had dreads before but i have wanted them for a very VERY long time. I have finally decided to commit. I have a few questions.First off, Would it suit me? I think I would look cute.Okay, now for more important questions. I LOVE instant gratification but i want heathy pretty dreads So, my questions are as follows.I want to have Neat looking, but not fake looking dreads. Would it be a good idea to Start them with the crochet method but not continue to do it? ( I really don't think I could do the "Natual" Method.) I could keep them smooth with Aloe. Is this method any faster?My Third question: The Twist an Rip Method, Does it really lock well and how long would a whole head take to dread with this method? Anyone who used this method, pictures would be much appreciated. Also, I am currently looking for a job, so neatness is a factor.(thats why im considering the crochet method)I'm having someone do my dreads this Friday. So The easiest best method (other then natural) is what I'm looking for. Any Advice would be Awesome ^-^
updated by @jessica-chastain: 02/14/15 06:36:19AM
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
1) Yes it would suit you perfectly. No one looks bad with dreads. Dreads are awsome so are you. So multiply awsomeness and yes...well u get it2) Never use crochet method cz you might have "neat" dreads for a week but soon it frizzes out like MAD...plus starting something with so much of damage means you will be recovering for a very long time..so whats the point doing that? Aloe is conditioning so avoid it till the dreads mature slightly..3) TnR method is gentle and really good. It would lock amazingly well.Check this out http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/my-natural-timeline-so-farnow?commentId=3754945%3AComment%3A142759 http://www.dreadlockssite.com/photo/album/show?id=3754945%3AAlbum%3A81866 http://www.dreadlockssite.com/photo/album/show?id=3754945%3AAlbum%3A125447 Also, whoever is doing your dreads, dont let them put anyshit on your head..anything at allpeace
Justin Gibson
@justin-gibson
14 years ago
42 posts
welcome to the site i agree with tyler T&R is the way to go if you cant or dont want to go natural like he said nothing but some water and whatever you clean with sould touch your hair. good luck
Jessica Chastain
@jessica-chastain
14 years ago
11 posts
Thanks guys!@ Tyler : Thanks for the links! The back combing method seemd to have more of the look i was going for, But i love the way the Twist n Rip looks now. Its still kinda twisted looking, Cute. I think that is the way we'll do it.I've never had dreads and shes never done dreads so it should be interesting. Ill be sure to get pics!Oh! Any tips for comphyness while we do this long process? Or just any tipsAn Thanks again!
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
hello again.. happy to help as always.. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/twist-and-rip-method-dreading this might help as well.... yea get pics and make a timeline over here..we are timeline addicts..as far as oomphyness...its just da way you carry yourself with dreads..hope it gives u confidence and oomph in general...afterall its just ur hair..oomph vl come for the person on whose head it sits..:)
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
1) I'm not good at telling people how well they'd look like with or without certain styles... the big questions here is, if you think they're cute, then why ask us? If you want to go with dreads, then seriously consider that from here on out, you'll get nasty looks, sometimes nasty comments from ignorant people. If you care what they think, you won't make it through your first year.2) Crochet is just a silly and damaging short cut. Only use crochet hooks to make items for your dreads, not to make the dreads themselves. You're also going to want to stay away from aloe for a bit if you can help it. It's really conditioning and will undo any work that has already been done.3)T&R is how I started my hair, and while I wish sometimes that I had backcombed or went natural, I don't regret starting the way I did. I have very few friends, so I needed something that I could do myself (i.e. no backcombing) and that I could pull off in a few days so that I had some control over sectioning and what not. I work for Petsmart, so my appearance is of some concern to my managers... and I can't see them agreeing with the equivalent of messy, unkempt hair for a few months to a year or better. In the early stages of T&R, if you pull them up in a pony tail, no one can really tell what's going on. As for pictures of said method, my dreads just hit one year about a week ago, and so I'm including my timeline ( http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/faes-twist-and-rip-adventure?xg_source=activity ) for you to look over. It's really been one hell of a ride, and I'd encourage everyone to go T&R if they want a bit of control while still letting nature do it's thing.Do keep in mind that everyone's hair matures at a different rate. Mine really didn't start looking like dreads until 6 months or so, and even now I have days when I feel they don't look quite right. I suppose my biggest gripe is how short my hair became.... it was almost down to the middle of my back when I started dreading, and now it's hardly past my shoulders. But some people never experience much shrinkage at all... always depends on the hair type.
DreadfulTravis
@dreadfultravis
14 years ago
44 posts
First of all welcome :)Second Dreads are amazing on everyone.Third Don't crochet.Tyler said it the best. :)
Jessica Chastain
@jessica-chastain
14 years ago
11 posts
That was another concern for me. My hair grows slowly, it took me three years just to get it past my shoulders. Shrinkage is a worry because I really don't want little short dreads sticking off my head :P But I also kinda thought that because my hair does grow slowly, it would give my roots more time to knot up an I wouldn't have as much regrowth between my scalp an my little dreadies?Ps. Nice pics fae
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
twist and rip id recomend highly it wuill look the best right from the startaloe can sloe the dreading so only use it when u really must

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
TnR locks really well :)That's what I did and it's been going great...good luck!!! :D
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form