Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural Color vs. Dyed/Multicolored

❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
So I've been thinking. I've dyed my hair for a few years now. My natural hair color is dark brown, but I've dyed it pink, red, blue, purple, red, copper, and more red :)So now with dreads I'm not sure what to do. I could dye everything dark brown and stop coloring so they are more natural looking. Or something else I really want to do is bleach some, dye some red and some brown.I remember walking in DC one day and I saw this girl with long beautiful dreads(looked natural to me :) )and they were multicolored with reds, browns and blondes. I loved them.So I like both, but I'm leaning more towards the multicolored. BUT ..it would mean having to dye regularly to keep up with the roots which is something I don't want to do.Also I haven't dyed them in a while so the roots are dark brown and about 2 inches down the turn into a very dull copper brown. So I need to do something.OR I could keep dying red. People always say it suits me and think its my natural colorSo what are your opinions? Do you like natural colored dreads or dyed and multicolored dreads?
updated by @opaulao: 02/14/15 11:10:07AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
let the dreads be natural and the beads wraps and other decorations be colorful

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
i think you should go back to dark brown!! or even black! with some cool dread wraps and bright beads.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Yeah you guys are right. I will dye it one last time brown. And that will be it :D ... I definitely don't want to damage my babies!!!
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
i've pondered the multicolored dreads myself... they are tempting! Paula said:
Yeah you guys are right. I will dye it one last time brown. And that will be it :D ... I definitely don't want to damage my babies!!!
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Aren't they???!!!! LOL!! :D JESSICA EVA said:
i've pondered the multicolored dreads myself... they are tempting!
Dana
@dana
14 years ago
9 posts
I don't know much about it yet, and I want to look into doing this myself, but you could try wrapping your dreads in wool roving... http://www.weirdollsandcrafts.com/needle-felting-roving/roving-dyed-colors.html I believe you wrap it around a dread and then wash it with warm soapy water and it like shrink wraps the dread...It seems like it could be a good way to get a lot of color without going through bleaching and destroying your hair with chemicals. I've seen pictures of people who've done this and it can be beautiful, I think, as long as the wool isn't too thick (just my opinion). I don't know anything about how easy it is to remove and I assume you'd just take extra care in drying them. I'm going to experiment with it as soon as I can get my hands on some. they don't sell it at any of the craft stores where I live. boo!
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Yeah I've seen this and it looks really nice. BUT...as a vegan I wouldn't be comfortable with using wool...do you know of any alternatives? ...is there a cotton option??.. :) Dana Moen said:
I don't know much about it yet, and I want to look into doing this myself, but you could try wrapping your dreads in wool roving... http://www.weirdollsandcrafts.com/needle-felting-roving/roving-dyed...

I believe you wrap it around a dread and then wash it with warm soapy water and it like shrink wraps the dread...It seems like it could be a good way to get a lot of color without going through bleaching and destroying your hair with chemicals. I've seen pictures of people who've done this and it can be beautiful, I think, as long as the wool isn't too thick (just my opinion). I don't know anything about how easy it is to remove and I assume you'd just take extra care in drying them. I'm going to experiment with it as soon as I can get my hands on some. they don't sell it at any of the craft stores where I live. boo!
Dana
@dana
14 years ago
9 posts
I don't think cotton would work the same, unless you want to try wrapping with cotton thread, which has a different effect. I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm pretty sure the sheep aren't harmed when they're sheared..maybe just humiliated ;) Paula said:
Yeah I've seen this and it looks really nice. BUT...as a vegan I wouldn't be comfortable with using wool...do you know of any alternatives? ...is there a cotton option??.. :)

Dana Moen said:
I don't know much about it yet, and I want to look into doing this myself, but you could try wrapping your dreads in wool roving... http://www.weirdollsandcrafts.com/needle-felting-roving/roving-dyed...

I believe you wrap it around a dread and then wash it with warm soapy water and it like shrink wraps the dread...It seems like it could be a good way to get a lot of color without going through bleaching and destroying your hair with chemicals. I've seen pictures of people who've done this and it can be beautiful, I think, as long as the wool isn't too thick (just my opinion). I don't know anything about how easy it is to remove and I assume you'd just take extra care in drying them. I'm going to experiment with it as soon as I can get my hands on some. they don't sell it at any of the craft stores where I live. boo!
Dana
@dana
14 years ago
9 posts
hmm.. well I just read a tiny bit about shearing sheep and it seems it's not always as harmless as one might think. Sheep can die from exposure and the people doing it can be too rough and cut the sheep etc... So I guess it seems best to buy from a local farmer that cares and dye the wool yourself.. Dana Moen said:
I don't think cotton would work the same, unless you want to try wrapping with cotton thread, which has a different effect. I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm pretty sure the sheep aren't harmed when they're sheared..maybe just humiliated ;)

Paula said:
Yeah I've seen this and it looks really nice. BUT...as a vegan I wouldn't be comfortable with using wool...do you know of any alternatives? ...is there a cotton option??.. :)

Dana Moen said:

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form