Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural Color vs. Dyed/Multicolored

❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
LOL!! I do not want to get into an argument over veganism, but just so you know, the sheep are treated poorly. As a vegan I use no animal products or by-products this includes wool, silk, angora, and other animal fabrics(at least to the best of my ability). So I won't be using wool to make my dreads colorful. I found some cotton roving and though I am certain it won't work the same, I think I'll try that in the future even if it's just temporary :) Dana Moen said:
I don't think cotton would work the same, unless you want to try wrapping with cotton thread, which has a different effect. I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm pretty sure the sheep aren't harmed when they're sheared..maybe just humiliated ;)

updated by @opaulao: 07/03/15 06:09:15AM
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I prefer natural MOST of the time although I plan to use one of those dyes that don't damage to do a little dying once in a while. I might not though, I don't want to do ANY unnecessary damage and I don't want to dye my hair with anything that might not come completely out. We'll see though. Oh and I am definitely not the most righteous person but not every sheep that is sheared at every farm is horribly maimed or killed in the process. Some places treat the animals very well. I hate when people take things to the extreme like that. The people who shear the sheep make money off the wool. It wouldn't benefit them for half of the flock to die in one summers shearing.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
You make a good point...I think I could leave the hair color as it is and put some lemon juice on the roots, go out in the sun, and make it blend a little more. Is the henna for lightening hair? I've never tried it before .. I havent had dark dark hair since I was like 12.. and I don't know if I would like it...at least not right away Maxe said:
I prefer natural but think a little variation can look good.. it's probably the variation caused by the sun bleaching the dreads rather than people having dyed them when I think about it. If you dye multicolor maybe watch out it doesn't get 'too' crazy and look like wool extensions =)
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Hey thanks! I'll take a look at those :) The Dreaded Shell said:
Hi Paula here is a link to some henna products and if you click on the swatches of different colours it will show you the variations of colours :-)
hope it helps a bit
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
ok I have decided. I will go back to my dark brown. Then if I don't like it I can do other things to it.Sis Rags are you saying I can't use commercial dye AFTER henna? Can I use henna after commercial dyes? Not immediately but say a few weeks later?
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Does this brand look good? like I said it's my first time trying henna :) http://www.amazon.com/Mahogany-henna-hair-dye-grams/dp/B001GI81WY/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added Paula said:
ok I have decided. I will go back to my dark brown. Then if I don't like it I can do other things to it.

Sis Rags are you saying I can't use commercial dye AFTER henna? Can I use henna after commercial dyes? Not immediately but say a few weeks later?
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
:D Thanks!! The Dreaded Shell said:
no problem hope to talk to you on facebook sometime :-) good luck with your hair colouring

❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Ok yeah I understand :)would you know how long the dark colors last? My hair now is like a light reddish brown.. and I was considering a dark reddish brown. I imagine it would be different with everyone though.:DD I'm excited to try it!!
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
you know that sounds really cool ..but I think I'll go "natural" for a while...then I'll see what I can change up :) Sister Rags said:
Yeah, it'll be fun! Just do that test dread, or part of a dread. Since henna is a stain, I'm thinking it will last a long time - but it just won't be as vibrant after the first month or so. The excellent thing about henna is that I don't know of any reason why you cannot re-do it as often as you like (except that it's a pain in the butt to rinse out of dreads).

Have you thought of doing different dreads different henna tones?
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Well the way I see it, if I can avoid it I will :) GreyGargoyle said:
I prefer natural MOST of the time although I plan to use one of those dyes that don't damage to do a little dying once in a while. I might not though, I don't want to do ANY unnecessary damage and I don't want to dye my hair with anything that might not come completely out. We'll see though. Oh and I am definitely not the most righteous person but not every sheep that is sheared at every farm is horribly maimed or killed in the process. Some places treat the animals very well. I hate when people take things to the extreme like that. The people who shear the sheep make money off the wool. It wouldn't benefit them for half of the flock to die in one summers shearing.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form