Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural Color vs. Dyed/Multicolored

neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
i think you would look great with dark hair, but you will look good no matter what you choose Paula said:
You make a good point...I think I could leave the hair color as it is and put some lemon juice on the roots, go out in the sun, and make it blend a little more. Is the henna for lightening hair? I've never tried it before .. I havent had dark dark hair since I was like 12.. and I don't know if I would like it...at least not right away

Maxe said:
I prefer natural but think a little variation can look good.. it's probably the variation caused by the sun bleaching the dreads rather than people having dyed them when I think about it. If you dye multicolor maybe watch out it doesn't get 'too' crazy and look like wool extensions =)

updated by @neil-coe: 07/10/15 06:01:20AM
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Thanks Neil!! :DDI guess it's more that I'm used to having a bit lighter hair now neil coe said:
i think you would look great with dark hair, but you will look good no matter what you choose

GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Fair enough. Just trying to inform ya that some farms fairly eco friendly. I'm definitely not taking up for all of em though. :P Just a select few. Paula said:
Well the way I see it, if I can avoid it I will :)

GreyGargoyle said:
I prefer natural MOST of the time although I plan to use one of those dyes that don't damage to do a little dying once in a while. I might not though, I don't want to do ANY unnecessary damage and I don't want to dye my hair with anything that might not come completely out. We'll see though. Oh and I am definitely not the most righteous person but not every sheep that is sheared at every farm is horribly maimed or killed in the process. Some places treat the animals very well. I hate when people take things to the extreme like that. The people who shear the sheep make money off the wool. It wouldn't benefit them for half of the flock to die in one summers shearing.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
So is Mehndi henna the same as the henna used for hair dyes?
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Wow, those look great!
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Oh ok that makes perfect sense! Thanks a lot for the info! I have always wanted to try henna but I was a bit scared that I would somehow screw it up.They really do look awesome! :)
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
ooh ok..so the mature dreads are the ones with less color change?I guess that would make sense, since it's harder for the color to penetrate Sister Rags said:
Update.

I left the henna paste on the dreads (thickly applied, each one wrapped in a plastic baggie) for 2 hours. Rinsed my hair with plain water. The good thing is, henna obviously does zero damage. The not-so-good...some of the dreads came out a decent deep golden color. The rest - absolutely nothing. No color change at all; they're just a kind-of dirty-blond color (same as before) or an "earthy" blond if I'm being generous ; ) Mature dreads, I've noticed, react very differently to any kind of coloring process, whether chemical or vegetable. At least, that's how mine behaves.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
I'm excited to try this!! I think I'm gonna go out and buy some henna today(or tomorrow if the stores are closed) and try the 1 dread test :D
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
14 years ago
155 posts
I think you should do whatever pleases you, after all it is your hair. I like both multicolored and natural, a few weeks ago I got kind of bored and decided to lighten my hair with lemon juice and diluted with water. Then after a week I dyed some of them red blue and purple and left some my natural color. Manic Panic doesn't really last to long.When I dye I usually wrap the ones i did with tin foil so they don't drip or get dye all over the place. I would advice either to wear a old shirt you don't want or don't wear a shirt.funny side story- i helped my friend dye her hair blue, but i went some where for 5 minutes and she decided to wash the dye out why i was gone, and did it in the shower. Needless to say she dyed her face blue and most of her body, cause she rinsed it out standing in the shower. Instead of just leaning over a kitchen sink or a bath tub to do it.gotta a lil off track sorry
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
haha oh wow, I'm sure your friend learned a valuable life lesson that day :DI guess what I really want to do is cut down on maintenance, which is why I got dreads in the first place. I think I'll do it the way you did it. Go step by step. First step is a natural color :) GratefulNick said:
I think you should do whatever pleases you, after all it is your hair. I like both multicolored and natural, a few weeks ago I got kind of bored and decided to lighten my hair with lemon juice and diluted with water. Then after a week I dyed some of them red blue and purple and left some my natural color. Manic Panic doesn't really last to long.

When I dye I usually wrap the ones i did with tin foil so they don't drip or get dye all over the place. I would advice either to wear a old shirt you don't want or don't wear a shirt.

funny side story- i helped my friend dye her hair blue, but i went some where for 5 minutes and she decided to wash the dye out why i was gone, and did it in the shower. Needless to say she dyed her face blue and most of her body, cause she rinsed it out standing in the shower. Instead of just leaning over a kitchen sink or a bath tub to do it.

gotta a lil off track sorry

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form