dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Part In Hair

Kyle Adams
@kyle-adams
11 years ago
32 posts

Hello all, it's been a little!

I've got a question... My hair was styled with a middle part before I had dreads. I didn't make it a point to dread it in a zig zag to get rid of it. What can I do now? I don't want to have a middle part anymore because I'm afraid as my dreads get more mature and heavier, it will put the hair and just be all around bad news. Please help me fix this problem!

updated by @kyle-adams: 02/14/15 10:20:27AM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

If you're not far into dreading, you can start again and let your hair naturally section itself. Besides that there's not much you can do, I don't think. It shouldn't matter though, if you're not doing any maintenance, and just let them do their own thing, new hair should create new dreads in-between existing dreads. I don't see it being a problem though, personally.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

I started out with a slight side part and... my locks had other ideas. It naturally just said, 'nope. Ain't gonna do it.' So I went with the flow and let it part itself down the middle like it wanted.

Now here's the fun part(pun intended). Once your locks get so far along, you can flip them around to give yourself whatever part you want! Seriously! ANYTHING you want, you can do it. It may not look terribly natural the first few(6-10) months but once you're around your first year dreadiversary you can do whatever you want with them. They're easy going.

Don't fret the small stuff because when your hair goes really crazy you're going to come back yelling about congo madness. :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

When the are further into the journey, the hairs at the scalp area fill in, you won't see any scalp at all, won't see the part. Mature dreads have a once inch loose root area, so you can move your dreads to wherever you want them. Don't worry about where the part is now, won't even see it later on....peace

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I have a side part. It may not be perfectly straight but itis definitely there. I can flip it over to the other side but it always falls back over eventually :) My part is more "L" shaped because I have cowlick on the back of my head on the opposite side of my part. I just don't let it bother me. Some people loose the part....others don't. If your hair grows in a certain direction before dreads....it will continue to grow in that direction. Don't sweat what you can't change, embrace it and love it. It is one of the many things that make your dreads unique.

Kyle Adams
@kyle-adams
11 years ago
32 posts

Oh, I'm not concerned about it looking one way or another, I was just concerned about the weight it will become and I don't want it to pull the part and potentially make my hair thin out up there ya know? Mine are only 10 months so maybe it'll change. I wear my hair back for my job with a bandana pushing it back too so maybe that along with me putting it to the side most of the time will change it.

I was thinking of that American Idol guy Jason Castro and his dreads were very mature but he still had a part in the middle but I have no idea what he did to his. Maybe he kept it there on purpose! And maybe it won't do anything if mine stayed there.. I just get self conscious haha I don't wanna go bald!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

you lose the part for the most part it becomes moee like a mane going all over with no clear part line at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

The weight is gonna be the same with a part or no part. It really isn't gonna make a difference. It isn't gonna cause you to be bald. Your scalp adjusts as it grows and becomes heavier over time. If your dreads get too heavy for you...you can always trim the length some.

Kyle Adams
@kyle-adams
11 years ago
32 posts

Right now I have this weird spot on my part and it looks to me (looking in the mirror) like a bald spot but my brother said there's hair there haha. My friend Ashley had the same thing happen to her too but since she's a girl it never really crossed my mind that she might be going bald (since then it's gone away..) I want someone other than my brother to look haha but I'm afraid of the answer!!

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

yea i agree with taye....pretty early in ur journey and dreads will be dreads no matter ur part. i used have a slightly off center middle part before dreads an wen then sectioned they kinda took same part as original with exception of one mid dread in between further back on my part...so they kinda flop whichever way is most natural an it sorta works out in ur favor anyways. let em be an not worry they will be awesome the way they were destined to go =) makes us each unique .....peace b with u

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form