Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I am in the process of getting dreadlocks. Why do I feel like a fake?

Betty Weg
@betty-weg
14 years ago
13 posts

Megan Bell said:

NaturalWomyn said:
sounds like an identity crisis! ;o) I think you maybe need to realize that you don't have to fit into a neat lil category. You don't have to be either wholly corporate or fit the exact stereotypes of a dreadie. Figure out what you like and forget the rest. Just be you and you will be content. Many Blessings

^ couldn't have said it better myself, i love this post!!
Agreed.There's absolutly no problem sitting on the fence :) could be an interesting little mash-up of corporate dreadie :L start your own little niche!
updated by @betty-weg: 07/20/15 02:50:16AM
LillyPilly
@lillypilly
14 years ago
16 posts
What a nice group of replies for my first post! Thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words.I made two nice peyote sleeves today to put in my hair and they feel great. New beading technique too. I'd seen this type of beading at the markets etc and have seen it done on a loom but not in this style with the sewing needle. I'm enjoying them also because I made them :-) I enjoy making nice things, such as bags, hair ties, pencil cases and library bags.My dreads are coming along nicely now with a salt water spray every now and then. Does it matter whether I drench them or will a light spray on the outside do?
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
Back when I still did mine I did more of a light spray, although I would let it dry a bit and spray it again making sure I hit everything all while not soaking it. Then I would wash like two hours later.

Misty Zen said:
What a nice group of replies for my first post! Thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words.

I made two nice peyote sleeves today to put in my hair and they feel great. New beading technique too. I'd seen this type of beading at the markets etc and have seen it done on a loom but not in this style with the sewing needle. I'm enjoying them also because I made them :-) I enjoy making nice things, such as bags, hair ties, pencil cases and library bags.

My dreads are coming along nicely now with a salt water spray every now and then. Does it matter whether I drench them or will a light spray on the outside do?
Cargo Chick
@cargo-chick
14 years ago
28 posts
I feel the same way...with a similar situation. I just figure that I'm evolving, and I may not stay this way (dreaded and casual/hippyish) but it's an experience. Better than staying the same person for 80 years! How boring would that be?Just remember that you don't have to BE anyone. You are changing and trying new things all the time...learning about yourself. Most dreadies aren't judgmental about why you have your dreads...like if you work somewhere corporate or dress preppy you won't be accepted. We all understand that it's a specific experience that SO many people never give themselves the opportunity to have.Just live in the moment. Enjoy who you are right now. Don't worry about who you were before or who you will be in the future. Take it all as it comes.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind."

Oh the infinite wisdom of Dr. Seuss!

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form