Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

the truth about crocheting dreadlocks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
they will recover and dread over time..i assumed you were croceted being from tailand tey do it aloot there even tough your airs no arder to dread but tey believe the myth tat asian air doesnt dread easy so they crocetjustr leave em alone over monts tey'll be fine Angelmoth said:
hello everyone!
first of all thanks for all the good advice and inspiration. i had my dreads made in thailand with a crochet hook.. i have to admit that, i really didnt know any better, i thought all methods were the same and the crochet was simply the thai way of locking hair.. how wrong i was. i havent done anything to my dreads since apart from palm rolling. wax never seemed like a good idea to me.. yuk yuk. my question is: will my dreads become REAL dreads if i just let them be? or should i start over? i've noticed they're becoming thinner with every wash. any advice? peace to you all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/19/15 03:20:35AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
actualy its not so destructive if u follow with a wet rag (and never used wax) some salons cut with fire it burns fast buut not long so only te aitr loose outside burns (te dread itself is more like a stick requiring muc more eat and sustained flame to burn..unles waxed) if you used wax thoug you may ligt up your whole ead and lose em all (and gain scars)noit recommending it just saying its not going to urt thhe dread itself Vinny said:
this might be a little off topic but if you wanna talk about dread destruction y'all should hear what this cat told me I should try to do to get rid of hair popping out the side of my dreads. He told me I should take a lighter and singe them away like a loose string on a uniform.

--
ourdub
@ourdub
14 years ago
47 posts
i am asian and had my base locks started with interlock method - and they kept falling out at the tips so i crocheted the tips in and crocheted the pieces that were coming unraveled. to keep them tight and neat looking.when i do wash my hair now - there is a LOT of breakage all over througout the dreads. i had a real difficult time getting mine to lock since its so straight and thick(each piece - like horse hair). i do have chunks falling out still and thinning my dreads some from it. (ill get a pic posted up) i got most of the strands out - but still see a lot of roots throughout my dreads right after a washing... really shows up on black hair. =/anyways - i dont know if that helps any - but - for the record - if i ever cut and regrow - i will def be using natural method - and am now letting the new growth naturally lock in - and it looks much better and less like 'made dreads'. im certain it would take quite a bit longer - but in the end - im sure the patience will have been worth it.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
we dint need you constantly trying to start figts either yiouve been warned beforei cant eklieve you cant rtead yes everyting includinbg lead is more empty space ten solid..but at tat level we are taliking bout spaces like 0.000000000001 microns and a much muc larger metal object trying to fit troiug an infinatrely small space is like a square peg in a round ole..or a rational tougt getting into a head only interested in arguing foir te sake of arguingte spaces between airs in a dread isnt even as big as a hair Ouroboros said:
Read this aloud and let it soak in.

When SE starts explaining physics and chemistry 101 in his 'dreadlock science seminar' ( and makes a lick of sense ) , will be the day when I just stop caring and cut off my 'locks.
....FYI it'll be a cold day in hell, so don't bother waiting.....

SoaringEagle, go buy a Chem101 book.
Go look at the chapters on ' Suspensions vs Solutions' and read up on 'density'....

You can have the worlds most dense dreads, but it's still going to be a 'hair suspended in air', and consist of a air/hair ratio. Some dreads are obviously going to have a higher hair/air ratio because of their density, but that does not mean they are a complete solid.
Sure, hair breakage is a problem. We know this....
Technically, with a tight enough 'weave' throughout a dreadlock a broken hair here or their shouldn't even matter...

But I digress....
The original intentions of my statement remains. I'll take a page from Lil'Wayne (ever so appropriate with his 'fake and manicured' dreads, right SE? right???? *rollseyes*)

You only live once; you worry about yours, let them worry about theirs, cause I got mine.

You've made a page to categorically disseminating every single method of 'dreadlocks' as harmful (except natural). We get it. Now let folks sort through it and figure it out themselves.

We don't need a cantankerous old fart constantly beguiling everyone's attempts at getting dreadlocks.

--
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
There is most definitely a difference between attacking a persons ideas and attacking a person. One is called "debating" the other is called "trolling".be cool ouroboros. Ouroboros said:
Read this aloud and let it soak in....
....beguiling everyone's attempts at getting dreadlocks.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
hes been doing that awile and has been close to being banned alotseems to be on a mission Vinny said:
There is most definitely a difference between attacking a persons ideas and attacking a person. One is called "debating" the other is called "trolling".

be cool ouroboros.

Ouroboros said:
Read this aloud and let it soak in....
....beguiling everyone's attempts at getting dreadlocks.

--
Angelmoth
@angelmoth
14 years ago
10 posts
just what i hoped to hear :) thanks! will let you know how it goes. i am italian by the way, but now live in asia.se you truly have amazing dreads :) soaringeagle said:
they will recover and dread over time..i assumed you were croceted being from tailand tey do it aloot there even tough your airs no arder to dread but tey believe the myth tat asian air doesnt dread easy so they crocet

justr leave em alone over monts tey'll be fine

Angelmoth said:
hello everyone!
first of all thanks for all the good advice and inspiration. i had my dreads made in thailand with a crochet hook.. i have to admit that, i really didnt know any better, i thought all methods were the same and the crochet was simply the thai way of locking hair.. how wrong i was. i havent done anything to my dreads since apart from palm rolling. wax never seemed like a good idea to me.. yuk yuk. my question is: will my dreads become REAL dreads if i just let them be? or should i start over? i've noticed they're becoming thinner with every wash. any advice? peace to you all
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
bumping this for new members who went through the whole crochet weekly hassle to share theyre experiences

--
K E A Z
@k-e-a-z
14 years ago
58 posts
in addition, the dreads get a very woven look this looks very different from thre natural growth so crochetting must continue to keep that uniform woven lookdang that so true i have 1 dread i crocheted alot and it dosent go with the real new growth dreads feels hard stiff looking dosent look the same with the new growth
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
post pics side by sideim sure its extra apparant when u see the difference side by side K E A Z said:
in addition, the dreads get a very woven look this looks very different from thre natural growth so crochetting must continue to keep that uniform woven look

dang that so true i have 1 dread i crocheted alot and it dosent go with the real new growth dreads feels hard stiff looking dosent look the same with the new growth

--

/ 12

Dislike 2

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form