Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

the truth about crocheting dreadlocks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no thats not the idea your dreads are as strong as thre longest continuouse hairs a dread should be strong enough to hang from your whole body weight plus somebreaking hairs over and over and over weakens themand u have 1 dread.. u work on that 1 dread 1/2 an hour every week thats high mau=intenance i have had over 200 dreads that got 1/2 hour work in a year on all 200 thats the difference your cionstantky causing dammage then repairing it while causing more and over years they get weaker abnd weakerdreads should not take work..they are your natural state so why force dreads when dreads happen without effort?especialy why use a dammaging method// that only makes u a slave to constant care? Bridget Kilgallon said:
I keep mine maintained with a crochet hook (i've only got one dread so I can take extra care of it). I use it to make wool casing, knot up the roots, and clean up my dread. To be perfectly honest I work on it maybe 30 minutes per 2 weeks. Sure there's some breakage but isn't that the idea? A dread should be dry and dry hair becomes brittle and has breakage anyway.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/19/15 12:27:01PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
average persons got like 60 dreads 1/2 hour per dread (keeping in mind yoyurs is 6 months old so short lets say in a year double that 60 hours a week in 5 years wtf? no wonder they dont last long whos got the time to do that?i got better things to do then pike holes in my dreads for a whole day or longer

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
nobody looks down on you or anyone we just stress telling the truth so people are educated and understand.. the wax did you no good execept as an illusion of control it did more harm holding hair in place prevents it from doing what it needed to do to dread.its eassy to think it helped based on a dew loose hairs that are meanningless anyways but the dreading happens within the dread and that was harmed by waxwhen u stopped crocheting didnt they get extra fuzzy? thats all the hairs u brokeand for most it is a never ending cycle cause they font stop and let it heal they just keep on crocheting year after year after year...its simply best to never start Peter Hollingshead said:
i totally agree with Kath. i'm new to this forum, and i thought it was gonna be an open minded forum, one where all ideas and methods are accepted and can be discussed, but so far it has come off as a rather close minded forum, just on the other end of the spectrum. it has a rather negative outlook on the different dreading routes, an outlook that has made me feel rather looked down upon. i started out waxing my dreads, i backcombed, i crocheted every once and a while, i palm rolled, i rubbed my roots, all of which are looked down upon on this forum. i think those methods did what they were supposed to for me. i don't really think the wax really obstructed my locking, i just think it's gross that it's just sitting in the middle of my dreads which is why i'm doing methods to get it back out. i think wax was beneficial for the early stages of my dreadlocks, especially for a kid who's parents wouldn't be able to handle the frizz that accompanies early dreads, nor would his school or job.

i think my dreads locked up just as they should have in my journey. i think the crochet hook got a lot of the crazy frizzies under control that hung off my dreads, which i liked. my hair doesn't dread up that easily naturally, so i took some precautions. i didn't break many hairs at all, i used a small crochet hook, one which the hook was filled with enough hair to go through the dread easily. it did exactly what it was supposed to do, got the frizz locked up. now that they are locking nicely, i don't crochet anymore. it's not a "never ending cycle", it's just another method (in my experience).

take a chill pill dudes, smoke a bowl, whatever floats your boat, but just relax and let people dread how they think they should, it's their journey, ya know? embrace, don't push away. whether you think you are or not, i felt pushed away. think about how you come off and make this an even greater place :) bless you all

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well ok you dont regret a mistaske..yet but with wax 2/3 get cut off..thats what we want to prevent we want to prevent people not having info and thinking crochet is harmless then windering why theyre dreads are weak require so much work year after year and are unusualy thin and dont look like real dreadswe want to prevent people from believing these methods wre all good and healthy when the truth is they arent ..noy every dread will be destroyed by wax but the majotity will be cutnot every crocheter will hate theyre dreads but many will be tired of having to work on them liike a full time jobfine you dont feel hurt thats all good..but how would the entire community feel if there simply was no truth out there if every single site says wax wax wax and everty dread on earth was a sticky gross mess?dont take it personaly were trying to help thousands here thousands a day that visit the site its not all about you its about truth only

--
SIster Soljress
@sister-soljress
14 years ago
4 posts
So, I went to get my dreads worked on and didn't know what I was getting myself into, they were super wild and kinda clumpy at the bottoms because I let some undreaded hair at the ends. Well when I sat in the chair the people seemed super cool and the guy next to me had beautiful locks. So, I was super happy and just sat back and relaxed feeling really good. I couldnt even get to my scalp to itch it was becoming very itchy. Well that guy left and in walked a couple with I guess dreads if that is what you want to call them, they actually looked like braids that had been left in for quite a while, I looked over at her getting her hair done and then started to hear the ripping and breaking of my hairs lots of them, I didnt really notice before. I wasn't paying attention and my 5 year old son was running around. Anyways after her hair was done it looked like braids and not like dreads. I have seen dreads for many years and know what a nice one looks like and that didn't look right. I started sweating getting really irritated worried that I was doomed for life and hoping that this wasn't going to mess up my dread process. I asked her about it trying not to be rude but asked her why one was different than the other, her answer was kinda vague, she said because one of them got them done with them and the other not... So which I never got the answer? But it didnt feel right, all that hair breakage from the crochet hook. I suppose the only positive thing was that now they are not so clumpy, but was it worth it? Did I do the right thing. I definitely don't want my hair to look like braids, if that was the case I would have never dreaded it. How can I maintain on my own, especially when I can't get to the root. I cannot do it on my own but feel helpless to others not dreading the proper way...HELP
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why cant u rip to your rooys? its simple see the ripping/popping guide in links to the rightall maintenance u can do yourself in fact thats the only maintenance worth doingbut it should be done often enough to keep from being too difficulylets talk and gimme picyuresim sorry you had to go through that

--
SIster Soljress
@sister-soljress
14 years ago
4 posts
Thank you. I will send pics, I just email them to you? It's kinda embarrassing. My arms get really tired and I can't see what I am doing. I will check out your guide I am a new member as of today. So I will read up. soaringeagle said:
why cant u rip to your rooys? its simple see the ripping/popping guide in links to the right
all maintenance u can do yourself in fact thats the only maintenance worth doing
but it should be done often enough to keep from being too difficuly

lets talk and gimme picyures
im sorry you had to go through that
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u could post em but if your embarrasssed yea u can email em tooseperating dreads shouldnt take too much work you dont even gotta do em all at once id do it just a few at a time without thinking..sometimes lying in bed (lesss stress on arms i guess) but even if u just seperate a few now and then you'll probly seperate almost all monthly and that should be fine ofcourse if theyre really reatting eachother u might want to be more thourough awhile Corrine said:
Thank you. I will send pics, I just email them to you? It's kinda embarrassing. My arms get really tired and I can't see what I am doing. I will check out your guide I am a new member as of today. So I will read up.
soaringeagle said:
why cant u rip to your rooys? its simple see the ripping/popping guide in links to the right
all maintenance u can do yourself in fact thats the only maintenance worth doing

--
SIster Soljress
@sister-soljress
14 years ago
4 posts
I will try lying in Bed that sounds good! So you will see how flat and exposed the scalp got, I feel naked I hope they bounce back. Miss my fluffy-ness. Some got really skinny. :(

soaringeagle said:
u could post em but if your embarrasssed yea u can email em too

seperating dreads shouldnt take too much work you dont even gotta do em all at once id do it just a few at a time without thinking..sometimes lying in bed (lesss stress on arms i guess) but even if u just seperate a few now and then you'll probly seperate almost all monthly and that should be fine ofcourse if theyre really reatting eachother u might want to be more thourough awhile

Corrine said:
Thank you. I will send pics, I just email them to you? It's kinda embarrassing. My arms get really tired and I can't see what I am doing. I will check out your guide I am a new member as of today. So I will read up.
soaringeagle said:

updated by @sister-soljress: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh geez yea thats crocheting for uit will recover but u may get extra fuzzy for a bit from all the broken haircrochet really is just terible for dreads..but since it was just once they'll bounce back without too severe of issuesjust from now on..do your own maintenance.. Corrine said:
I will try lying in Bed that sounds good! So you will see how flat and exposed the scalp got, I feel naked I hope they bounce back. Miss my fluffy-ness. Some got really skinny. :(

soaringeagle said:
u could post em but if your embarrasssed yea u can email em too

seperating dreads shouldnt take too much work you dont even gotta do em all at once id do it just a few at a time without thinking..sometimes lying in bed (lesss stress on arms i guess) but even if u just seperate a few now and then you'll probly seperate almost all monthly and that should be fine ofcourse if theyre really reatting eachother u might want to be more thourough awhile

Corrine said:
soaringeagle said:

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM

/ 12

Dislike 2

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form