Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

the truth about crocheting dreadlocks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
if no damage then why crocet foir 2 years?/ if tere was no damage youd do it once and thats itbut you are constantly fixing the damage your doing by crocetingcant you understand thaqt?and can you explain ow you can oput 1 soilid object through anouthher without causing damage? JT said:
ive been crotcheting for 2 years no damage just perfection i carve a miniscule hook out of wood and use that instead of a metal hook

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/18/15 09:54:36AM
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
I think SE means that the damage occurs as the hook is pulled out because it could easily grab other hairs (hairs besides your initial target) as it is pulled back through the dread. I can easily buy that, at least in mature locks where the hairs are tightly matted and resistant to being pulled on. I would imagine that in baby dreads the hair is still loose enough to be pulled about without breaking, but I'm just speculating.I've heard a lot about damage being caused to dreads from...basically everything, but what it comes down to is the consequences. It seems that the consequence of crocheting is that it leads to more crocheting, but to a lot of people that's not a big deal. personally I like gnarly looking dreads, but not everyone does and that's why its a good thing there is more ways than one to lock your hair. The only hardcore "dont" I've ever heard of that causes actual factual dread death is wax and that's why I'm down to help people out and warn them against it. Everything else though, every other method, comes down to preference and there is no point in arguing over it. Every method has it's pros and cons and its up to individuals to decide whats right for them.It's unfortunate that the natural method is constantly, and not always subtly, forced down peoples throats on this site. Ouroboros said:
SE,
Lay off the dude. Cripes!!!! It works for him. awesome. And making your own crochet hook? Why not?! Keep it natural!~(And besides, Professor Soaring Eagle, dreads aren't a solid in the terms you are thinking of. They are a tangled mass of solids suspended within air. You can poke things through them. :P )
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
1 natural is RECOMENMDED 1st not forced,2 crocet can over time cause significant weakness3 even more deadly than wax is interlocking which often causes dreads to break offcrochet leads to more and constant need to crocet because of te damage done and te fact tat your not dreading but weaving, it alters te texture so to keep a uniform look and feel regardless of fixing broken airs u gotta keep at itlittle vanity causes a lifetrime need to constantly crochetand if just left alone teyd take care of themselves Vinny said:
I think SE means that the damage occurs as the hook is pulled out because it could easily grab other hairs (hairs besides your initial target) as it is pulled back through the dread. I can easily buy that, at least in mature locks where the hairs are tightly matted and resistant to being pulled on. I would imagine that in baby dreads the hair is still loose enough to be pulled about without breaking, but I'm just speculating.

I've heard a lot about damage being caused to dreads from...basically everything, but what it comes down to is the consequences. It seems that the consequence of crocheting is that it leads to more crocheting, but to a lot of people that's not a big deal. personally I like gnarly looking dreads, but not everyone does and that's why its a good thing there is more ways than one to lock your hair. The only hardcore "dont" I've ever heard of that causes actual factual dread death is wax and that's why I'm down to help people out and warn them against it. Everything else though, every other method, comes down to preference and there is no point in arguing over it. Every method has it's pros and cons and its up to individuals to decide whats right for them.

It's unfortunate that the natural method is constantly, and not always subtly, forced down peoples throats on this site.

Ouroboros said:
SE,
Lay off the dude. Cripes!!!! It works for him. awesome. And making your own crochet hook? Why not?! Keep it natural!~

(And besides, Professor Soaring Eagle, dreads aren't a solid in the terms you are thinking of. They are a tangled mass of solids suspended within air. You can poke things through them. :P )

--
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
soaringeagle said:
1 natural is RECOMENMDED 1st not forced,
There are more ways then one to force something down someones throat. It's like a cult of personality in this place, except instead of a dictator its a locking method. soaringeagle said:
2 crocet can over time cause significant weakness
Im willing to believe this, to a certain degree, but what really matters is the end result. What does that damage lead to, whats the time frame we are looking at, and do you have sources/experience? (if you don't that is completely fine. Speculating is not a sin but you should include that you are speculating) soaringeagle said:
3 even more deadly than wax is interlocking which often causes dreads to break off

noted soaringeagle said:
crochet leads to more and constant need to crocet because of te damage done and te fact tat your not dreading but weaving, it alters te texture so to keep a uniform look and feel regardless of fixing broken airs u gotta keep at it

little vanity causes a lifetrime need to constantly crochet
and if just left alone teyd take care of themselves
This is probably all true but still its all up to preference. Some people want to have super maintained dreads, and some people don't want to wait for nature. Yes there are some draw backs but to a lot of people those draw backs are worth it. You have made it very obvious that crocheting is not worth it to you, and honestly its not worth it to me either. However those are just our opinions and opinions are subjective.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
te goal is to help people understrand the drawbacks before tey make mistakes tey will regretsources are all from oters experiences, many years on varios forums reading what oters went troughthere has been cases of breakage or more often te roots becomming very thin and weakteres no timeline i can point aq finger at cause many factors are involved, ow often they crochetted how tey did it ook size ow many years tey did, clearly tey can last longer ten wax, 7+ years ive seen..maybe morebut ive also seen breakage at 5 (1 dread breakage wont kill the wole head of dreads) and seen at 7 years spending 16 iurs every week crochetting..thats 2 8 our work days just messing wit your dreads..i always recomend te minumum maintenace u can do and get away with witin wats comfy for you..and warn against metods that only add more and more worki like to enjoy life and dreads not make em a chore that takes so mkuch time away from living life Vinny said:
soaringeagle said:
1 natural is RECOMENMDED 1st not forced,

There are more ways then one to force something down someones throat. It's like a cult of personality in this place, except instead of a dictator its a locking method.

soaringeagle said:
2 crocet can over time cause significant weakness

Im willing to believe this, to a certain degree, but what really matters is the end result. What does that damage lead to, whats the time frame we are looking at, and do you have sources/experience? (if you don't that is completely fine. Speculating is not a sin but you should include that you are speculating)

soaringeagle said:
3 even more deadly than wax is interlocking which often causes dreads to break off

noted

soaringeagle said:
crochet leads to more and constant need to crocet because of te damage done and te fact tat your not dreading but weaving, it alters te texture so to keep a uniform look and feel regardless of fixing broken airs u gotta keep at it

little vanity causes a lifetrime need to constantly crochet
and if just left alone teyd take care of themselves

This is probably all true but still its all up to preference. Some people want to have super maintained dreads, and some people don't want to wait for nature. Yes there are some draw backs but to a lot of people those draw backs are worth it. You have made it very obvious that crocheting is not worth it to you, and honestly its not worth it to me either. However those are just our opinions and opinions are subjective.

--
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
Lol wait, who thinks I'm a fool? Ouroboros said:
Vinny ,
don't bother. I love your intentions and your voice however,
it's better to be labeled 'the fool' than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.... ;)

Those who know the truth, know it, and don't need to prove anything, to anyone. Lend a helping hand, that's all we need to do.

I hear...I forget
I see...and I remember
I do...and I understand

Confucius
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dunno oroboros likes to try stiring up trouble i tinklemme read back maybe i missed someting? Vinny said:
Lol wait, who thinks I'm a fool?

Ouroboros said:
Vinny ,
don't bother. I love your intentions and your voice however,
it's better to be labeled 'the fool' than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.... ;)

Those who know the truth, know it, and don't need to prove anything, to anyone. Lend a helping hand, that's all we need to do.

I hear...I forget
I see...and I remember
I do...and I understand

Confucius

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
light cant pass thriuglight particles are infinately small..if say a lazer poointer cant pass through how can a metal ook witout distturbing hairs?hairs are very easy to break, so easy you wont even notice.. try taking a single air pull on te end so teres tention and catch it in a ook and pull, almost no effort breaks it (yes u feelk it urt since it pulls on roots, but inside te dreewad its ancored all over te place so you wont feel it wen it breaksits simple density, te hairs are way too tigtly packed to alow anyting ticker then a single air cant pass trougf witout breaking somelets look at it as it is, if your tangling up hair 2 dimentialy you maybe can squeeze thriough gaps safely, but 3 dimentianal caotic matting leaves no clear patr even if theres gaps big enougfh on te surface (tere isnt) so to go trough a 3 dimentional lock an inch thick withmaybe a million gaps noine big enoug for a ook and none at all lined up for a clear pathh yoiu are insdeed going trough a solid objectnow if yiou dont understand yet..lead is very dence yet is still more empty space ten siolid object (particlkes) a dark matter particle may go troug a mile of lead witout toucing anyting solid,l but an x ray particle will be stopped by slamming into many particlesyou see all solids are only as solid as teyre densirty, but a solid object (drewad) mnade out of tigtly bound airs (,01 mm) as no room at all for a 1 mm needle to go troug without itting literaly tousands of hairsi really dont understand why you dont get tatshine a ligt trough and maybe ill entertain te idea of a laser crochet methhid working witout breaking hairs but if a beam of ligt cant pass neiter can a hook milliokns of times larger Ouroboros said:
SE,
Lay off the dude. Cripes!!!!
It works for him. awesome. And making your own crochet hook? Why not?! Keep it natural!~

(And besides, Professor Soaring Eagle, dreads aren't a solid in the terms you are thinking of. They are a tangled mass of solids suspended within air. You can poke things through them. :P )

soaringeagle said:
if no damage then why crocet foir 2 years?/ if tere was no damage youd do it once and thats it
but you are constantly fixing the damage your doing by croceting
cant you understand thaqt?

and can you explain ow you can oput 1 soilid object through anouthher without causing damage?

JT said:
ive been crotcheting for 2 years no damage just perfection i carve a miniscule hook out of wood and use that instead of a metal hook

--
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
this might be a little off topic but if you wanna talk about dread destruction y'all should hear what this cat told me I should try to do to get rid of hair popping out the side of my dreads. He told me I should take a lighter and singe them away like a loose string on a uniform.
Angelmoth
@angelmoth
14 years ago
10 posts
hello everyone!first of all thanks for all the good advice and inspiration. i had my dreads made in thailand with a crochet hook.. i have to admit that, i really didnt know any better, i thought all methods were the same and the crochet was simply the thai way of locking hair.. how wrong i was. i havent done anything to my dreads since apart from palm rolling. wax never seemed like a good idea to me.. yuk yuk. my question is: will my dreads become REAL dreads if i just let them be? or should i start over? i've noticed they're becoming thinner with every wash. any advice? peace to you all

/ 12

Dislike 2

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form