Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Different Dread Methods Clarified

neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
greatly spoken naturalwomyn, but i wouldnt expect anything but a well wrote answer from you, lol its always nice to hear your input

NaturalWomyn said:
Honestly this is just silly. All the terminology I-mamma has clarified for us has been around for years and is really not going to change because some choose to be offended by it. Please try not to think of it as your dreads are unnatural if you t&r, backcombed etc, they just do not happen to fit into the widely used term of "natural" it really is just a label more for accurate description and proper education. What if a newb came on the site looking for knowledge on what method to use to start their dreads and every pic of backcombed, neglect, crochet, T&R was labeled "natural" there needs to be a way to distinguish them correctly. So lets all take our ego's out of it and not allow ourselves to get so upset. Call your hair what you want but don't expect everyone to agree on it. We're not going to completely change the terminology IMHO all we can do is change our reactions. If y'all haven't grown a thicker skin by now u may want to consider it. It really makes no difference what anyone else thinks, as long as you are happy with your dreads and the method you used, so let's try to remember that. I hope I haven't offended anyone if I have I apologize in advance but that's just my 2 cents. :o)

updated by @neil-coe: 07/10/15 12:07:31AM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
Love Ya Neil!! Love reading your replies as well. I also would just like to point out that every person that has gone natural/neglect participating in these discussions has been giving all the dreads big ups no matter what method was used. And has made a point to say all these methods produce great dreads so be proud! So regardless of the assumptions about the elitism here I see a lot of people giving respect! I think you all have amazing unique dreads that suit everyone of you perfectly! Much Love
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
please stop putting words in my mouth. I never said anything along the lines of being embarrassed as to how my dreads were started, or that I don't believe my dreads are natural. That's been my point! They are natural, but not started with neglect or patience. I just think that natural is too broad a term and implies that other methods are artificial. Not that I think that, only that it implies it. Again, not enough words in the english language to properly convey what we want to. Who's to say that someone new here might be confused as to why hair of all sorts is being labeled as either natural or categories b,c,d, ect. when hair is natural? Again, I think it's just too broad a term. And how long it's been used doesn't matter... who's to say that we can't redefine said terms?

neil coe said:
so you feel that if the word natural isnt tied to your dreads, they are not real, they are fake, no way, and thats your fault for excepting to believe that, in your mind if your not called natural then they are fake, lol well no one is calling your dreads fake but you, like ppl stated before, its ok to have a starter method, but claim it, and why not be proud of how you started your amazing locks, buy you saying they are natural is confusing, but if you said they are t&R then you are informing ppl better, plus if your proud of it, and claim it, it takes away from that negative view on other methods, cause you can say look, i started these with the T&R method and they are beautiful, don't be embraced that you needed a jump start, by doing that You are giving the negative image to the method

Faelwynn said:
Thank you! This is exactly my point!

taye said:
The word infers that any other method is not natural but artificial. Violet is only saying hers are not artificial.
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
ok first all no one in the real world knows what "twist n rip" is.... alright? no one else except the people who read these definitions are gonna know the real difference between "natural" and "neglect" unless you explain it to them. when i see someone else with dreads i just ask "how were they CREATED?" and let them fill in the rest. describe the PROCESS they went through. it's about the JOURNEY right?
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
Interesting thoughts Rawsum...I would like to use an illustration. There are two fields, after some years you return to the fields to find a forest in it's places. One of the fields a person started to plant some trees and plants to create a nice ecosystem they other formed on it's own. Both are natural but only one started (naturally) on it's own does that make one better then the other?

rawsum said:
I guess the problem is that the term natural describes a state of being and the term neglect describes an action or in this case a lack of action ... there is no middle ground for the term natural and so comes the issue.. if there is natural state of being there is the opposite which will be unnatural.. this may be the conflict with choice of terms.. I can understand the dislike of the term neglect (the opposite would be not of neglect )... but the term natural can't effectively satisfy the whole demography because it leaves the remainder of the group as unnatural in there dreading efforts which implies a negative context to any efforts other than the yet to be termed and so for now called natural dreading .. there has to be a way of describing your dreading efforts so that the rest of the group does not feel to be left with a negative term to describe their own efforts whatever they may be..

am I doing circle talk there neil coe? :D
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
lolBoth are "natural" but only one started naturally....exactly.
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
No not a trick question and no point just felt like writing it down cause that is what all of this discussion made me think of.
And yes the bear can smell his own shit even better then we can, it's sense of smell is far greater then that of a man even 7times greater then a dog. :)
rawsum said:
yeah but if a bear shits in the forrest and no one is there.. does it smell?

:D analogies are always funny.. I agree with taye.."exactly" was my first response but then i thought "wait.. ot must be a trick question !"

Jdwood said:
Interesting thoughts Rawsum...
I would like to use an illustration. There are two fields, after some years you return to the fields to find a forest in it's places. One of the fields a person started to plant some trees and plants to create a nice ecosystem they other formed on it's own. Both are natural but only one started (naturally) on it's own does that make one better then the other?

rawsum said:
I guess the problem is that the term natural describes a state of being and the term neglect describes an action or in this case a lack of action ... there is no middle ground for the term natural and so comes the issue.. if there is natural state of being there is the opposite which will be unnatural.. this may be the conflict with choice of terms.. I can understand the dislike of the term neglect (the opposite would be not of neglect )... but the term natural can't effectively satisfy the whole demography because it leaves the remainder of the group as unnatural in there dreading efforts which implies a negative context to any efforts other than the yet to be termed and so for now called natural dreading .. there has to be a way of describing your dreading efforts so that the rest of the group does not feel to be left with a negative term to describe their own efforts whatever they may be..

am I doing circle talk there neil coe? :D
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I was just thinking about this when contemplating calling it the 'patience' method, which is a term that I'm fond of. Said dreads were started with patience, though all dreads are natural (save for the obvious caked with wax and the like). Same basic principle.

taye said:
lol Both are "natural" but only one started naturally....exactly.
kyle britton
@kyle-britton
12 years ago
13 posts

I would just like to state that i agree with violet to an extent, if you have not used any chemical product on your hair they are technically considered natural, but also soaring eagle made a point with usingunnaturaltools to help the hair. However, for example i decided i liked the nice-more thin- well kept look, so i decided to go with the T&R method. My hair is coarse, thick, curly-African textured hair and i used no product or tools, i just simply twisted my hair and ripped it, after sectioning it of course. i figured if i wanted a job and nice looking locks that i would go with T&R. ALSO-they mature really fast, and no disrespect to anyone's methods or preferences
soaring eagle said:

no..they are not thats the point that is totaly false and harmful
they are unatural methods using natural products..period
natural products do not make natural dreads they make dreads that are not natural healthier sure
but a backcombed dreads a backcombed dread that used natural products
understand?

Violet said:
alright, how about you just call it separation method instead. because again, anyone that uses no wax and or harmful chemicals and uses all natural organic hair no from nature are all considered natural methods. ok
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the definition of natural is

occurring naturaly in nature, without any interference or manipulation by man

so no the definition of natural dreads is they just happen without your input

kyle britton said:

I would just like to state that i agree with violet to an extent, if you have not used any chemical product on your hair they are technically considered natural, but also soaring eagle made a point with usingunnaturaltools to help the hair. However, for example i decided i liked the nice-more thin- well kept look, so i decided to go with the T&R method. My hair is coarse, thick, curly-African textured hair and i used no product or tools, i just simply twisted my hair and ripped it, after sectioning it of course. i figured if i wanted a job and nice looking locks that i would go with T&R. ALSO-they mature really fast, and no disrespect to anyone's methods or preferences
soaring eagle said:

no..they are not thats the point that is totaly false and harmful
they are unatural methods using natural products..period
natural products do not make natural dreads they make dreads that are not natural healthier sure
but a backcombed dreads a backcombed dread that used natural products
understand?

Violet said:
alright, how about you just call it separation method instead. because again, anyone that uses no wax and or harmful chemicals and uses all natural organic hair no from nature are all considered natural methods. ok

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

/ 4
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form