Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Got my first comments on my hair yesterday at work..

Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
Yeah that's Jehovah's witnesses.. NaturalWomyn said:
yea the Jehova's at my school were pretty verbal about it. They'd talk about going preaching and not having birthdays, not being able to really be friends with anyone who's not a Jehovas witness. Also they really seemed to TRY and stay on the outside. We had gym at the YMCA and they REFUSED to attend because the name had the word christian abbreviated in it. It's not like we were going to church there, just some b ball and exercise equipment!lol. Actually 2 kids that were in my class ended up getting married after HS but the guy had to convert before he could even legitimately talk to her (J.W.) on a BF/GF level so they kept it a secret until they graduated then he converted and they got married ASAP.

updated by @jdwood: 07/09/15 09:48:55PM
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
really? Ive gotten alot of compliments. when I went to krock on july 31st and 5 chicks complimented me and 2 others gave me their number. I think things will be just fine
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
please dont argue about religion. this is a board for dreadlocks. we can get along with or without religion. we are all people Island Mamma said:
No one has written about my grandmother either but she was real!
recoverytrouble
@recoverytrouble
14 years ago
70 posts
Everyone had been pretty much fine with my new dreads, even at their messiest all I would get was a bit of a stare and a smile. Now that I've thrown a few beads in the mix nearly every one of my male co-workers has commented. From "did you put beads in your hair?" (Duh) to "dude you've got shit in your hair" (Yes I rubbed shit through my hair cos it's dreadlocks, who's askin?) I figured dark brown beads matching my hair colour wouldn't be an issue. I think it's the male vs accessories battle but when I counter a negative comment with "aren't you wearing a necklace and multiple rings?" I get a stammered response that it's different because it's male jewellery.Boys, sheesh!
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
ok, not to get into the religion battle lol but more just to share, when me and my gf had our son, she was all worried talking about how will this work, i believe in jesus and you dont, what are we going to teach our son...... i told her, to me its no big deal, i say lets just raise him to be a good person, and if when he gets older and wants to go to church and wants to believe in jesus then thats fine, but dont go forcing it upon him, i dont judge anyone on their beliefs, but i dont believe in jesus or the bible but that is something that i will not go in to right now..... thats a whole subject on its on, and i dont judge anyone for believing in jesus so nor would i like anyone else to judge me for not believing, if one has to believe in jesus to make them a better person, then im all for it, for thats all that maters, i hate when people try to push religion on you, my mother as a child was forced to cut her hair and wasnt aloud to speak her native language, my people, native americans, since the time white man can to this land, have been getting jesus pushed upon us, well like i said, to much to get into right now........ thanks
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Why am I being asked not to argue about religion? I believe I have said but a few brief words about a man whos history is recorded, about a man who others are talking abour and making claims about, I pointed something out is all and added to that. I spoke nothing of religions. Read.
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
wasnt sure if this was directed at me or not...... who asked you not to argue....i didnt, but now im asking why do you have to argue..... cant we just talk : ) Island Mamma said:
Why am I being asked not to argue about religion? I believe I have said but a few brief words about a man whos history is recorded, about a man who others are talking abour and making claims about, I pointed something out is all and added to that. I spoke nothing of religions. Read.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
"... cant we just talk : )" You know!My message wasn't to you Neil, it was in response mainly to Jo Muir who is assuming a lot about me and telling me what to talk about. I should have hit reply but the messages get sooo long.....
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
i didnt think so, but wanted to be clear....... and i know what you mean about messages getting too long, but maybe write a name of you your comment is directed, with some of these discussions it gets confusing tryin to figure who said what lol thanks Island Mamma said:
My message wasn't to you Neil, it was in response mainly to Jo Muir who is assuming a lot about me and telling me what to talk about. I should have hit reply but the messages get sooo long.....
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
4 pages was not expecting that...I think the comments we get depends on the environment we are in..first I live in a farming city in Quebec it is growing and more and more people from different parts of the world are moving to my little city ( it is 40 minutes form Montreal) so the people have no choice but to adapt to all kinds of culture but I still get comments when I were my kilt lol! I work in a small farming village 20 minute form my city in a chicken abattoir ( I know that is not going to sit right with a lot of people here) and the people there are not the most open minded a lot a them are racist and don't even know it. I expect to get more negative comments but that's all right I'm use to it. I think the most ignorant comments( before the dreading journey) I received was after the Dawson college shooting in Montreal about 4 people ask me if I was going to go nuts and do the same thing I think about 2 were serious I don't hang out with the people at my work I sit alone and read a lot so that is something scary for a lot of them lol!

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form