Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Being polite on the site

Island Mamma
@island-mamma
10 years ago
530 posts
Aside from answering the same stuff all the time there is time factors that come into play.Some times people don't have time to write out paragraph after paragraph every time they answer a thread.For whatever reason maybe they are on a few forums or just popping on between dinner and getting kids ready etc etc etcThanks Natural, glad some one agrees. :)
updated by @island-mamma: 07/13/15 06:11:01PM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
10 years ago
849 posts
wholeheartedly!!!! Island Mamma said:
Aside from answering the same stuff all the time there is time factors that come into play.

Some times people don't have time to write out paragraph after paragraph every time they answer a thread.

For whatever reason maybe they are on a few forums or just popping on between dinner and getting kids ready etc etc etc


Thanks Natural, glad some one agrees. :)
Iain
@iain
10 years ago
844 posts
TEH InterNets are Serious BIZNESS ;)agree on the excluding hateful degrading things, but give things time with people, learn to agree/disagree with certain opinions and minimize provocations and usually things work out.There's nothing I can think of on this site that I disagree with though with the exception of dealing in absolutes.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
10 years ago
751 posts
Speaking of repeated topics, I wish there was a way that as someone types a discussion they got suggested discussions based on the words usedfor example someone writes 'crochet' in their discussion title and they get a list of threads on the side that also include the word crochet. ... that's more something to take up with NING though...
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
10 years ago
569 posts
I think these "be polite" topics are about me, haha. AND you know what I see....is that everyone is being nice about it. If anyone is talking about me then BE BLUNT like me because I don't understand. Seriously, if anyone has a problem with how I say things then just say so. I don't see anyone else causing trouble on the site or clashing with anyone lately? So I am assuming that it's 99% me that this topic was about but maybe I am wrong?
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
10 years ago
751 posts
Maybe, also there was that thing with the locticians ... personally I think bluntness is needed. I don't give bluntness usually so I do appreciate your posts GreyGargoyle said:
I think these "be polite" topics are about me, haha. AND you know what I see....is that everyone is being nice about it. If anyone is talking about me then BE BLUNT like me because I don't understand. Seriously, if anyone has a problem with how I say things then just say so. I don't see anyone else causing trouble on the site or clashing with anyone lately? So I am assuming that it's 99% me that this topic was about but maybe I am wrong?
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
10 years ago
569 posts
Oh, yeah. I don't really know anything about that. That could be it as well then. I'm pretty nice when I answer questions, usually. I'm usually blunt too but hey, most of you said that it is a good thing at times. Thanks for your post!<3 A lot of you seem to feel that the bluntness is needed so I guess this thread isn't about me? lol. Paula said:
Maybe, also there was that thing with the locticians ... personally I think bluntness is needed. I don't give bluntness usually so I do appreciate your posts

GreyGargoyle said:
I think these "be polite" topics are about me, haha. AND you know what I see....is that everyone is being nice about it. If anyone is talking about me then BE BLUNT like me because I don't understand. Seriously, if anyone has a problem with how I say things then just say so. I don't see anyone else causing trouble on the site or clashing with anyone lately? So I am assuming that it's 99% me that this topic was about but maybe I am wrong?
MzElaineous
@mzelaineous
10 years ago
87 posts
Victoria, this tidbit made me "awwwe" and I definitely agree that "ignorance does not = stupid" We just need the patience to dreaducate.As a forum "newbie", but a person that has been reading the old discussions for quite a while...it was really hard to sift through everything for the information that I wanted. It was definitely a hunt and the only reason I had time is because it is summer and school is out. In addition, I didn't realize there were rules about posting until I came across a discussion about SE telling a newbie to read them before posting. It took me a while to find it and I did a forehead slap when I finally saw the link smack dab in the middle of the front page.I also agree with KnottySleeves that there needs to be "stickies" and wonder if there are any techie dreadies that can help out with coding and such...that is if Ning allows customization.And I like Paula and raw sum's suggestions. It would just take a bit of work and organizationAlso on a semi-side note, reading through all the old discussions, there are so many one liners that I liked. I wonder if an ongoing "discussion quote" thread would be nice to start or if one has already been started. I would definitely like to start of with SE's ~ "there are no personality flaws only personality differences and u just gotta expect some personality differences to clash" Victoria said:

AAAAnnnyway, I have noticed this trend as well in recent months and I also think it is probably caused by the huge jump in member numbers. I wish I had more time to spend on the site to direct people in the right direction because sometimes I think the snappy words are coming from frustration, both at someone else's ignorance and at being misinformed/ignorant, and ignorance is an easy fix! All you have to do is get someone to the right information and wah-la they are no longer ignorant on a matter! And I think some people need to remember ignorance does not = stupid.
No one should be embarrassed to ask questions here, that's how we gain knowledge and learn more! That was what this site was set up for in the first place! So we could all share our own personal experiences and learn from each other. For me sharing knowledge and comparing personal beliefs and opinions should always be fun and interesting, never angry or argumentative, and so that is the tone I read everyone else's responses in and expect mine to be read in turn.
CrazyDaizy99
@crazydaizy99
10 years ago
81 posts
I agree with Island Mamma and what I would say in any internet forum is that it is always difficult to interpret someone's TONE. I think that it is very common for comments to be interpreted as more harsh, blunt, sarcastic, etc that is ever really intended. Not to say that it is always that case. I happened upon this site and I have felt totally happy and comfortable here and I have taken all advice as loving and kind and have never thought twice about feeling judged. I knew that I was a newbie to this process and I took advice as loving direction and never as criticisim. I don't think anyone here WANTS to criticize anyone else, but would rather direct people to better methods based on their personal experience. JMO.
 
 / 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form