Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tell me about your Dread Decorations?

Amanda12
@amanda12
11 years ago
46 posts

I've put beads, yarn, and lost things in my hair but they never stay long. I think they look so cool on other people. I think they look fine on me. I just dont see meaning in anything Ive found. Do you have things in your dreads? If so post a picture and tell me why you have them, how long have you had them.

updated by @amanda12: 01/13/15 09:50:53PM
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i have lots of semi permanent glass beads that i put in early in my hourney and they got stuck. i have an earring that was my late grandmothers in my hair. i had another one that was a turquoise cross in there too but i felt it was catching on too many other hairs and breaking them so i took it out. ive had a metal spring in there, my mom crocheted some dread wraps for my, i have one of my dread that i use to tie the rest up and it has a bead on it that i just dont feel right with out. i took it out and something about the lack of weight or osmething bothered me. i had gotten so used to that bead on that dread that i just didnt feel right with out it. my husband recently wrapped sterling silver wire around and in a dread and it looks so cool!! i have a silver ring that i love but cant wear without getting a rash so i put it on one of my dreads and its pretty cool. i get to wear it still. i love adorning my hair. i make a time of it. i will sit down after the babes asleep and decorate my hair lol. i need to take some pics or something.

Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
11 years ago
122 posts
I have two peyote sleeves from Heather--a garden gnome and an owl. She did an awesome job. :) I also keep wooden beads in my hair...metal ones end up hitting me in the face, lol. I feel like wraps look kinda funny on me. Maybe when they calm down some more. :)
DreadBruja
@dreadbruja
11 years ago
44 posts

I have a few skull beads, my tiny silver lucky leaf, a few half thread wraps, and a nice wooden bead. I've done a few full on yarn wraps, but took them out. My hair is still changing too much! :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

If you wrap with embroidery thread, part way down the dread you can add a charm to the thread or pendant taken off of a necklace, even add a shell found on the beach, or how about a Chinese coin, they have a whole in the center. My son is in Mexico right now on his honeymoon and will be looking for a bead for me, that one will have the most meaning to me, hope he finds one. I go to a thrift store once a week and check out what rings they have and purchase all of them, only 50 cents each. When my dreads are finally mature enough they will get some awesome rings added to them. ...Peace

matt krantzberg
@matt-krantzberg
11 years ago
20 posts
I love dread beads. that mixed with my boro glass obsetion means I don't have very many. right now I only have 2 beads in my hair.I have a small wooden bead that came off a hemp bracelet that I wore for like 5 years and when it finally broke I took the bead off and put it in my hair.the other bead I have is a double reversal glass bead that my homie e-ro blew for me as a Christmas gift in 2011. custom color pull, moss and butterscotch. I don't know what te rules are about talking about cannabis and parafanalia, but The bead is a custom set I bought myself so I have a matching bubbler, dish, dabber, curve and dome. I love my glass bead.
Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

i have lots of little baubles & dangly bits I change in & out, have been wanting to throw them in lately but i've been too lazy lol. the little crochet mirrors in my fav. colors were from a swap on here, Practical Bren made them for me <3 she also gave me the purple shell & amethyst. the glass beads I picked up from a shop in the square downtown here, & I've sent one off to Britany. the flat white shell is from a decoration on a candle that my MIL gave me. the flat metal piece & bead & the shell are from a broken bracelet & anklet from high school. the other beads are just random pieces picked up from craft stores, & i wrap with embroidery thread or hemp. once i stop being lazy & decorate again i'll post more photos, i think i have more pieces to add now ;)

Amanda12
@amanda12
11 years ago
46 posts

So Ive read these comments and I fell like I learned really good reasons to decorate. I put wraps in to keep wild dreads from getting to big but at this point i fell like my hair is changing to much to really add permanent things (like Zombiekitten said...) when they get older I might add things that I find or are given to me. I like that every knot was a moment of my life and trinkets that reflected that would make me happy. I suppose Im just not the kinda person how goes out and buys a dread bead cause its pretty Im more sentimental. No one has ever given me something for my dreads. :/ but If they did Id probably wear it forever :)

The Hippie Circle
@the-hippie-circle
11 years ago
34 posts
My boyfriend paints so I had him do some wooden beads for my macrame projects. I put one in my hair and love it. Pretty much addicted now. :)-
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form