Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Introduction and newbie questions

DellDGM
@delldgm
11 years ago
7 posts
hi everyoneI'm new here and already I love this site. I have spent the last few days pouring over the net looking for information on dreadlocks and getting rapidly more confused by the minute till I arrived,here.I am a mum to 5 from Adelaide Australia. I have always like dreads but have never quite been game to try them. Well I decided to go for it.I have very fine straight long (ranging from 15-23 inches)hair. So here is my plan, I would love to have some input from you all.Firstly I am starting to wash with bicarbonate and apple cider rinses.Secondly I have a friend coming around in the next few days to separate my hair and put it into micro braids. Just to make sure i am happy with the placement and size i am planning on. then gradually i will take the braids out and twist and rip them into the beginning of my dreads.Then I will just let them go for it with minimal interference just bs/acv washes.I suppose I should add that the micro braids is just to give me a chance to test it out for size and style before it really knot my hair - yes I am a bit of a control freak lol.Ok people's let me have it - share you wisdomThanksDell
updated by @delldgm: 01/13/15 09:45:45PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Dont have your friend do that. You can just stop brushing your hair and it will section itself out. Even fine hair will dread when neglected (still washed, just not brushed), but if you want to give it a kick start then just TnR the sections that form over a week or two.

Sarahface
@sarah16
11 years ago
108 posts

Welcome! I also started with braiding and T&R. My advice is to not be too meticulous about making them, though. I wish I knew in the beginning that they would mostly all fall out after the first month anyway, lol! Me and my friend spent like ten hours doing my hair and if I knew I could have been much more "sloppy" about it, we could have saved lots of time and sore arms.

Good luck :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

you'kll probly wish they were more uneven and natural also if you make em micro braids amd have over 100 real thin ones they can be such a pain when longer to keep track of and they will get caufght in everything car doors etc

i would let it section itself naturaly even if u dont go fiull natural and u tnr ..

u might just decide to go natural tho u will fall in love with the process

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Twist and rip is just a starter method. Your dreads will not look anything like it when they mature. If your hair is very long 15 to 23 inches, your dreads will probably shrink to your shoulders and become a lot fatter. So what I am trying to say is that when you section and braid.....it will not look anything like that in a year. Just make sure that your sections are not over 1 inch.

My hair is very straight, fine, and thin. My pony tail before dreads was about as thick as a nickle. Now i can barely fit a scrunchy around them. My hair was to my lower back and it shrank to my shoulders in the first two years.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Greetings to Australia from Canada. Your journey process will teach you that you can no longer be a control freak about your hair. It will do its' own thing. Like Taye, I also started with hair your length, 11 months later, most are above my shoulders. Your hair will NOT look anything like the micro braids you would like to try out. Have a 5 year vision for what you want your dreads to look like, they will not look like that for at least the first year, probably two, especially with super long hair. Mature dreads will become the thickness of the section by the scalp, the hair slowly feeds itself up and forms the dread. Be prepared for loops, bumps and shrinkage. Straight hair usually takes longer to dread, so photos you see on here of people who started with curly hair and have dreads within a year is unrealistic for our type. Being as controlling as you are about your hair, if you don't like the look, you can still take them out even when they are two years old. Have the vision though and you will love them.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form