Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

as dreads mature and smooth out, do they get thinner or thicker?

tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
They get thicker with loop to shrinkage phase, but not if you palm roll them because you'll prevent the bigger loops from tangling up with other loops and bunching up. They will tighten and seem thinner eventually, but then they will slowly get thicker with time as they grow and more hair gets added.Some of mine were pretty thin when I started, but loopy phase made them really poofy and they kind of bunched up, getting shorter but thicker at the same time, and getting very tight. I don't think I have any that are really thin, none thinner than a pencil, but when I started they were super thin because of my hair type and texture. Just avoid palm rolling, it hinders development in my opinion.
updated by @tatyananashi: 07/17/15 05:22:34PM
Raegan Belew
@raegan-belew
14 years ago
7 posts
thanks so much for all the tips...I started mine out super duper thin, like pencil size at the roots because I figured they'd thicken up. Also, my "dreads" thin out so much toward the tip (my hair is long) that I can't even twist em so I just let the tips stay natural and figure they'll knot up on their own as the dreads thicken up....so it's possible to just let a couple of em' combine down the line if they're too thin? Hopin' so cuz I don't want to comb any of these out! I already had to do it twice and it's a pain in the arse! So...just waitin' to see if they do thicken up as they knot:)
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts
I didn't even section my hair (well) when I did my TnR, waaay too much work for me ahaha.I've got some that I know will be big, and some un-TnR'd hair will become little dreads and stuff.Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure by the time they all form and lock up, you'll love them no matter the size. And I think it's easier to let them grow together then to separate, so being too thin isn't a bad thing.
asalaam
@asalaam
14 years ago
14 posts
I did tnr into thinner dreads as well.. I have thinner hair, so a parted inch turned out to be half the width of a pencil. I only started them about 2 weeks ago so i'm not sure how puffy they're gona get. I'm wondering if anyone else who has fine hair used the tnr method for dreads about that size, and if so, how long it took em to lock up? I'm doing dreads partially (really, really partially) to gain more patience but it's already become a waiting game haha
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u used wax so that will make em take forever to dreadu never want wax in embut they will be thick..1 inch thick

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
RootsRasta
@rootsrasta
14 years ago
64 posts
Your dread thickness will be a little smaller than the size of the section, not the same size as
asalaam
@asalaam
14 years ago
14 posts
so no wax = slightly quicker than forever, yeah?

soaringeagle said:
u used wax so that will make em take forever to dread
u never want wax in em
but they will be thick..1 inch thick
Ethon O'Brien
@ethon-obrien
12 years ago
40 posts
my god this whole thread or whatever you call this here has been so amazingly helpful. my dreads are twist and rip and i really wanted thick dreads but i didnt want to sacrafice length with backcombing. i was concerned about the thickness so much because theyre about a month and a half old but fairly thin and theres only 33 of them. i started off with 40 and combined a few in an attempt to make them thicker, it got rid of some of the really thin ones but none of them are that real fatness i want. i had been planning to kinda bunch them up with the crochet needle at a certain length to thicken them later on but it is just such a load off to know that after a few months theyll get thicker on their own. plus if the size of the sections truly determines the thickness of the dread that means mine are gonna be nice and fat. cant wait. thank you all so much for these posts, i love this site

Raegan Belew said:
thanks so much for all the tips...I started mine out super duper thin, like pencil size at the roots because I figured they'd thicken up. Also, my "dreads" thin out so much toward the tip (my hair is long) that I can't even twist em so I just let the tips stay natural and figure they'll knot up on their own as the dreads thicken up....so it's possible to just let a couple of em' combine down the line if they're too thin? Hopin' so cuz I don't want to comb any of these out! I already had to do it twice and it's a pain in the arse! So...just waitin' to see if they do thicken up as they knot:)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

crochet needle would be a huge mistake never crochet dreasds not only would u do severe damage but they would get thinner.. it makes them way too tight and stiff so they are 1/3 the thickness so u bunch up 3 u end with 12 the size u started with

my god this whole thread or whatever you call this here has been so amazingly helpful. my dreads are twist and rip and i really wanted thick dreads but i didnt want to sacrafice length with backcombing. i was concerned about the thickness so much because theyre about a month and a half old but fairly thin and theres only 33 of them. i started off with 40 and combined a few in an attempt to make them thicker, it got rid of some of the really thin ones but none of them are that real fatness i want. i had been planning to kinda bunch them up with the crochet needle at a certain length to thicken them later on but it is just such a load off to know that after a few months theyll get thicker on their own. plus if the size of the sections truly determines the thickness of the dread that means mine are gonna be nice and fat. cant wait. thank you all so much for these posts, i love this site

Raegan Belew said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ethon O'Brien
@ethon-obrien
12 years ago
40 posts

yeah but i dont tighten them at all with the crochet needles, i just brine the loose hairs in gently so theres not a crazy amount of loose hair

soaring eagle said:

crochet needle would be a huge mistake never crochet dreasds not only would u do severe damage but they would get thinner.. it makes them way too tight and stiff so they are 1/3 the thickness so u bunch up 3 u end with 12 the size u started with

Raegan Belew said:

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form