Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

You are not blacker than me!!!! black on black dread disrespect

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

I know what you mean, i love rocking the fro when ive had it, and i also rocked braids at one point. I never really thought my hair was too much trouble but i cannot attest for full black people. But its hard to imagine that its that hard to maintain naturally. I think it becomes hard to maintain once you damage it with lots of chemicals. regardless i cant think for everyone and change everyones mind. people are gonna do what they do and thats why the world is interesting.

and yeah i def dont have time to be trying to fix everyone elses ignorance. Ive got my own ignorance that needs to be eliminated. Ill spend my time developing myself to the fullest and if the rest of the people want to be hung up on trivialities, they can do so while i move on to accomplish the big goals ive set for myself. that really makes sense and i was kinda thinking the same thing. I think people really do try to look out for their own kind. Hopefully soon in the future we will realize there is only 1 kind, and are all the same.

updated by @bob-ngarly: 07/23/15 08:00:38AM
Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

I've heard a lot of this since everyone found out I was dreading. I work with mostly black women, and they all tell me that my hair won't dread like that, I have to get extensions. They say that hair doesn't just dread, you have to go get it twisted. One nurse at work has dreads and she said "Trust me, this takes hours to do and it's not all my hair. You can't just not brush it. Especially white people. If you wanna wear our hair style, listen to somebody who knows about it." All the time like I don't know what I'm doing and I'm appropriating another culture. Issues of race around dreadlocks are frustrating no matter what color you are. They say all these things to me and I'm not even white! Ugh, I really feel ya lol

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i tend to get strange looks from black dudes. they think "white girl cant dread" lol XD. i can see how this is especially frustrating for you though. dealing with ignorant people is always difficult, you just have to be solid in what you know to be true. its kinda funny you say they use "bob marley" dreads as a negative example of dreads, and white people use it as a positive one...

Nimbostratus
@nimbostratus
11 years ago
30 posts

Alright so I went through several of the responses to this but haven't read them all so I'm sorry if I am reiterating what some of you said. Here is my take on it. A while back i had a class project where we had to view ourselves under many different lights in regards to race. The classifications were something like "what people see you as, how you identify yourself, actual nationality, skin tone, etc." basically all of these can be completely different. One conclusion we came to as a class was that there is a definite line between people who identify as African vs African American. People that identified as African tended to know exactly which parent/grandparent moved to America and where fewer generations in. The people that identified as African American or black have had families here for much longer and seemed to have the more American mindset. I think the longer your family has been here the more "American" you feel regardless of skin tone. You lose your culture from your homeland, wherever that may be. The average American viewpoint is that you should fit into society's views of beauty which are hugely distorted by the media and social psychology. It is scary to think that it is the same pressure that causes people to have eating disorders or be afraid of gay people or feel the need to make a lot of money or whatever else. What can possibly be such a strong force? It is the need to fit in to the small box of expectations of what you should look like, what you should do with your life, how successful you need to be and everything else. It is really sad. All the people squished into that little box get so frustrated with the people that are able to run around freely and they will always attack you for allowing yourself to be who you are. It is every persons choice to decide how they will let others affect them.

I think another issue for a lot of people that identify as black (which i cant say because I'm white and obviously everyone is different regardless) is that they don't feel as strong of a connection with their homelands as the families of Africans who have more recently moved here. When you don't feel a cultural connection to any group regardless of who you are, you feel isolated and lose a sense of identity. You begin to make your own cultural group and put up walls to keep out the cultures you don't understand, cant relate to, or feel cast out by. That is why there is so much misunderstanding between groups of people and ultimately why there is so much misunderstanding about dreads (trying to get back to my point). When you don't understand something and shun it for being different without trying to ask questions to understand it, the walls just get bigger and taller and harder to see around. Whats funny is that dreads have roots in almost every major culture because they aren't meant to be a fashion statement. They just happen naturally when brushes and hair dryers and styling products aren't forced onto people to be beautiful.

If someone hates you for being different or being yourself don't take it as something wrong with you. It is most definitely the opposite. The issue is that they hate individuality because they don't have a strong identity themselves. People that are more self aware and in tune with who they are themselves are more willing to accept who other people are as well.

sorry for the long post >_<

Kid Ayn Gibran
@kid-ayn-gibran
11 years ago
25 posts

We black folks have long been taught to hate our natural selves. For the longest we had the paper bag test...somebody was only suitable to marry if they were the same color or lighter than a brown paper bag. We've done everything to force our hair to imitate our white brothers and sister's hair. Hot combs. Relaxers. Weaves. Wigs. Wax and gels of all kinds. African hair naturally wants to dread from the moment it shoots from the scalp, but to naturally allow the hair to dread is seen as ugly/bad hair. It's more of a self-esteem issue than anything else.

You hear about the Hampton University Business School Dean state that men must cut their dreads and cornrows to be accepted to the business school, because the hairstyle is unprofessional and bears no [black] cultural value.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
11 years ago
100 posts
Preach Spence!!!! i wasnt as informed to start n twisted mine n was told not towash for 2 months, upon questioning that is when i found this site n have gone neglect since! i have had the same problems. Im Brazilian born, but mulatto, dad black, mom white, but when i got here i was accepted by the black community in my high school at the time n have really felt like it was my people, afterall, we all originated from the motherland. Now i realize my people, are my true friendsand my family, and i dont let the opinion of people of my own race affect me. Let them twist the shit out of their hair. When ur 40-50 N jave nice healthy dteads n theyre bald as shit, we'll have the last laugh. Stay up homie! i got ur back.One
Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

Man all you guys made some really good points. I have never heard of that university but i would refuse to go there. I have made the decision as a student that will soon emerge into the work force that i will not cut my hair to satisfy anyone. not an employer, girlfriend, unless i want to do it on my own accord for my own reasons and for right now thats not the case. Also the paper bag test is astonishing. That makes sense. lots of black women have told me that they want to "have my kids" because im light skinned and have "good hair". lol I can never seem to understand that reasoning. I guess its a long tradition of trying to pass on a better life for your kids started long ago. the lighter the skin the better the life. Its crazy to think that self hate is so deeply in engrained within the people of our society, that we sometimes fail to even realize it.
Kid Ayn Gibran said:

We black folks have long been taught to hate our natural selves. For the longest we had the paper bag test...somebody was only suitable to marry if they were the same color or lighter than a brown paper bag. We've done everything to force our hair to imitate our white brothers and sister's hair. Hot combs. Relaxers. Weaves. Wigs. Wax and gels of all kinds. African hair naturally wants to dread from the moment it shoots from the scalp, but to naturally allow the hair to dread is seen as ugly/bad hair. It's more of a self-esteem issue than anything else.

You hear about the Hampton University Business School Dean state that men must cut their dreads and cornrows to be accepted to the business school, because the hairstyle is unprofessional and bears no [black] cultural value.

Nimbostratus
@nimbostratus
11 years ago
30 posts

This is so sad! It's like an intentional form of genocide or wiping out of your own race because you feel its inferior. It's like when Alexander Graham-Bell married a deaf woman and decided that all deaf people should marry hearing people so they will have hearing kids because the deaf gene is recessive. He actually started a movement and got the support of some deaf people. It's like treating the deaf like they are broken (which many people still believe) and trying to force them to conform to society by lip reading and "breeding out" rather than developing their own language and culture and identity (sorry I studied sign language and deaf culture in school). But it's the same idea right? It's making a culture feel inferior and actually getting to them enough psychologically as a whole to feel like they shouldn't be here or act in their own way.

makena
@makena
11 years ago
9 posts
I can relate to Spencer. I had a similar problem when I was introduced to my fiancees relatives. I had to get saloon dreads after growing ma natural dreads for about 4 months. Even after ma dreads looked neat ma in laws still complained about ma dreads and even threatened that they will not allow me to marry their daughter if I didn't cut that hair off. In Africa, our elder people associate dreadlocks with being a thug, homeless or worse.
Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

So what did you do? did you get the salon dreads? what do you mean by salon dreads a twist??

how did they come out? ive never heard of anyone twisting after going natural but was pondering the possibility just the other day.

makena said:

I can relate to Spencer. I had a similar problem when I was introduced to my fiancees relatives. I had to get saloon dreads after growing ma natural dreads for about 4 months. Even after ma dreads looked neat ma in laws still complained about ma dreads and even threatened that they will not allow me to marry their daughter if I didn't cut that hair off. In Africa, our elder people associate dreadlocks with being a thug, homeless or worse.

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form