Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

You are not blacker than me!!!! black on black dread disrespect

melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
I wash with castile soap. Mine are gonna be huge! I only have about 25 and my hair is super thick.
updated by @melanie-rose: 07/22/15 11:57:23AM
Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

damn yeah your gonna have some monsters. did you section them or did they section themselves like that??

Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
I'm sorry to read this. It's a shame you must bare a burden to sport your hairstyle/lifestyle but what an opportunity to improve yourself. Stay strong and keep on locking. They're coming along and you're growing as a person, this is all that matters! :)I'm curious though why it's mostly other blacks who are commenting about your hair? I'm not by any means an expert but here is my long-winded theory as to why this may be.I wonder if it's to do with a glimpse of the structural racism seen in black hairstyle preferences. I've seen articles from black authors lamenting at how women will put toxic straightening chemicals into their hair or spend hours manually straightening it. Men, it seems, are expected to remain clean-cut. Natural hairstyles are probably thought to render a black person undesirable in a white dominated world and therefore are viewed as unwanted by more um... conservative? trendy? African Americans. This mindset unfortunately may have become a part of black culture - aka become a sort of structural racism. As such, I know during the Civil Rights Movement, natural black hair (the Afro in particular) became a symbol of rebellion against this racism.Then again as a white person, I know white people are usually my critics. Whites seem to carry the same criticisms too though: they're dirty, they look unkempt, and I could even go off on a feminism tangent because I've gotten the "you would look so much prettier if you'd take those out" or a variance of... Since some would hold that our culture's value of women is contingent on our looks. :/ A woman isn't desirable in America unless she has culturally relevant aesthetic appeal.The worst criticism I've got was actually from a dear loved one... she commented that I was sporting a "black people" hairstyle and that was unbecoming of a young white woman. I hate to think of her as a racist, it breaks my heart really but...ANYWAY, lol, I digress... The only black person I've had criticize them was an 11yo black boy who I see every Friday and he's too loveable for me to hold it against. We just laughed about it and compared our hairstyles. :)Sorry to derail your rant but I guess I had a chip of my own to unload... My apologies! I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on what I've said though. And anyone else's too for that matter.:)Just know that there are others out here who support your natural way!Best wishes!
Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

It is a very interesting take on what i have mentioned. Although mostly it is not just black people in general... It is black people with dreads... with twists.

but i see what you say about the clean cut thing

twisted dreads look neater and better kept...

There may be some truth to the fact that blacks as a part of american culture have adopted the ideology of the white man. The fro is gone and way out of style because it was viewed so poorly by the rest of society and blacks had to conform to white society in order to live the best lives they could since basically, forever.

the black hair chemical thing is also very amusing. why is it that natural black beautiful hair is not preferred in the black culture?

i would assume for the same reasons. back then, The more blacks assimilated into the white culture, the faster they will be accepted by the white culture and eventually improve their own lives.

Today even though blacks are proudly sporting locs they are doing so within the realm of what white culture finds acceptable. the same way they changed their hair in previous generations so white culture would accept them. Those stigmas that say we must "tame" our hair have followed us from the past into the present.

WOW man. A very interesting take on the issue and i thank you for forcing me to think about it in that light.

let me know what you think about my response.

-Spencer McDuffy

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

"When i say within the realm of white culture finds acceptable"

I mean the way blacks perceive what is acceptable to white culture. I think there may be some desire within our culture to fit in with the white culture and we will do whatever it is we think it is that they want us to do...

as a whole..

just wanted to clarify on that.

Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
No force here... You're intelligent and open to considering other suggestions. :) Plus it seems you're looking for a reason to be forgiving to your critics. It's hard to forgive someone when you can't see through their perceived malice.I agree completely with your response. Those "clean-cut" twists/locks are still the dreadlocks that are seen to represent black culture but they've been , like you said, altered to fit within what a white-dominated culture would approve of.Those locks require regular salon maintenance, you can use top-of-the-line products on them, they're cookie-cutter uniform, they look crisp and clean, they require money. And lots of it.Let's face it, the more money you have - or look like you have - the better off you are no matter what your skin color.I'm always saddened when I see a beautiful black woman and it's obvious she's had her hair relaxed. Of course, I speak from a privileged white woman status. I've read that it's easy for us to cry, "Why do this to yourself?? Just embrace your natural beauty!!!" without understanding the social and psychological repercussions this woman is afraid to go through. But I just can't help but completely agree with your question, why isn't it seen as beautiful??I see it as an example of modern structural racism. I wish I was more studied on the topic because it's an interesting (albeit unfortunate) phenomenon.That being said... Not only are your locks a symbol of your personal growth but everybody knows this hairstyle is in direct conflict with the modern system's ideals... which would include any inherent racism. It seems we could extrapolate that your locks actually embrace black culture better than the others.It sucks to make your hairstyle into a racial "thing" but you really are bucking the mold. And being part black it really does mean you may have more adversity to face.I'm going to ask a few of my black friends what their take on the matter is. I wonder what would happen if you bring it up to the next critic that comes up to you?? :)This is such a complex matter. I love discussing things like this - and I'm very thankful you're engaging in this dialogue! - and I'd like to think eventually we will solve the world's problems but until then... Here's just my two cents yet again. :)
Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
Oh, and by *this hair style* I meant natural dreadlocks... Since you're embracing your natural hair. Even if you're mixed, your hair still has some African texture to it, right? So not only are you breaking the white norm, you're breaking the black norm. You're walking a tough but - I pray - very fulfilling path! Other "clean-cut" dreaded blacks probably just think you've lost your mind going against the grain this way. :)Forgive me if I wasn't very clear on more points. I hate typing. It's not my strong suit.All my best...
Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

lol no you were very clear. Yeah people joke about me all the time calling me the confused cowboy. They dont know rather to call me white or black lol.

I certainly wouldnt like to think of my locs embracing the black culture "better" than more maintained locs simply because its not a competition. and i certainly dont want to make it a racial thing. What really got me thinking on it was just the fact that it was mainly black people commenting negatively about my hair. once you brought up those points and i really began to think about it it really started to make some sense.

I really agree with you. What is strange to think about is that i am not really that attracted to black women in general. But when i see a black woman with natural hair be it a fro, or dreads, or even braids i think it is very very sexy. For example erika badhu. Such a gorgeous lady and she wears her hair with pride and seems to just radiate pride for her culture. I am actually convincing my younger sister to grow her perm out and wair her hair in its natural curly state. shes about 80% grown out.

(im hoping i can convince her to dread at some point LOL)

The journey has been very rewarding. I love my little locs and i love to see peoples reactions to the hairstyle. I feel like going through this process will teach me alot about myself and others. Im particularly fond of the lesson in patience i know they are teaching me! IM SO READY FOR MATURE DREADS!!!

Let me know what your friends have to say on the topic id love to hear from them as well.

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

Spencer Mcduffy said:

lol no you were very clear. Yeah people joke about me all the time calling me the confused cowboy. They dont know rather to call me white or black lol.

I certainly wouldnt like to think of my locs embracing the black culture "better" than more maintained locs simply because its not a competition. and i certainly dont want to make it a racial thing. What really got me thinking on it was just the fact that it was mainly black people commenting negatively about my hair. once you brought up those points and i really began to think about it it really started to make some sense.

I really agree with you. What is strange to think about is that i am not really that attracted to black women in general. But when i see a black woman with natural hair be it a fro, or dreads, or even braids i think it is very very sexy. For example erika badhu. Such a gorgeous lady and she wears her hair with pride and seems to just radiate pride for her culture. I am actually convincing my younger sister to grow her perm out and wair her hair in its natural curly state. shes about 80% grown out.

(im hoping i can convince her to dread at some point LOL)

The journey has been very rewarding. I love my little locs and i love to see peoples reactions to the hairstyle. I feel like going through this process will teach me alot about myself and others. Im particularly fond of the lesson in patience i know they are teaching me! IM SO READY FOR MATURE DREADS!!!

Let me know what your friends have to say on the topic id love to hear from them as well.

updated by @bob-ngarly: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
11 years ago
102 posts
A big part of hair relaxing is the fact that natural black hair is a freaking pain. I have sort of bad textured hair (whiter then white) and for me it's already a nightmare. That's what they mean when black women say they have "bad hair". From what I have heard black men that prefer relaxed hair are the majority, so that obviously has an influence.When I was dreading I got nothing but kindness from black men particularly, and whites treated me very...differently. Nobody ever said anything to me directly except friends & family, but I really felt the general vibe change when it came to strangers. Maybe if I actually had black friends they would've criticized me.I think you are experiencing this kind of pressure because it is human nature to keep those within our social/cultural borders "in line". White people will get pressured by other whites, and black people will get pressured by other blacks. I don't think anything can truly change their opinion. If you want to start a crusade to inform those ignorant of natural dreading then you could, but I think it might be something that will drain you having to explain the same damn thing to every person that has criticisms. As long as your friends understand it you are 99% of the way there.

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form