Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Let's Get Personal

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

I started growing my first set when I was 13. After some significant beaver tailing (4-5 years of unseparatedgrowth) I cut them off. I tried a few times to grow them back, but I couldn't get passed my afro stage. I'm committed this time though. I have no sprirtual reasons or anything. I just love how they looked. I'm my town I was the dread guy. When I cut them off nobody knew me, which was good in a way. At that stage I was sick of beinghassled by cops and thought of as being a drug dealer. Dreads have certain preconceptions attached to them. This time I aim to change people opinions.

updated by @kelly3: 07/23/15 04:25:29PM
Kat Teblin
@kat-teblin
12 years ago
6 posts

totally forgot another...well, not reason, but more bonus; locks add thickness and volume to hair, especially since less hair falls out and almost none does when it's all locked up! This is absolutely amazing to me - the thing is, a few years ago I lived in India and I had straightened my hair every day for around two years without protection product, backcombed it, hairsprayed it, been exposed to the indian sun constantly and add to that an eating disorder...well, my hair was falling out in clumps. I lost so much of my hair. It became ridiculously thin - to the point that after I came back to England, I still backcombed it constantly to give it the volume that normal hair has naturally. It was the kind of thing that people thought it was my natural hair and when it was flat or I went swimming they realised just how thin it was; if I put it all into a ponytail, it was about a third of the amount most people with thin hair had.

So, the fact that dreadlocking my hair means it gets natural volume simply for what it is has been a lifesaver to my hair and head, really.

Noble
@noble
12 years ago
13 posts
@Baba, i knew i wanted dreads, and didn't see a downside. What stopped me was the thought that maybe my hair would't be accepted or be the subject of a ever-lasting family joke. i spent 4 years wanting to just do it. Talking myself up that it wasn't a big deal, then hours later convincing myself that maybe it wasn't what i wanted.My family has always preyed on each other for everything. When I first started growing facial hair my whole family had to make a big deal out of it and make jokes and comments. Its the same way with girlfriends, hair and selective hobbies. Sorta makes you not want to do anything, knowing that they'll have something to say.Congrats on the Marriage!
Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
12 years ago
122 posts
There are a few reasons why I decided to dread. Practical reasons: In the last 7-8 years I have shifted into clean eating and slowly have gotten into using and making my own products. I now teach raw and whole foods classes, and the fact that dreads don't shed as much appeals to me from a food prep perspective. Before dreading I never did anything with my hair. I love the texture dreads give, even when they're just in a ponytail. Spiritual/emotional reasons: I started seriously researching dreads about a year ago. I'm the kind of person that has to prepare extensively before I do anything ever. :) I wasn't planning on dreading anytime soon, but I made sure work approved, spoke with my boyfriend about it, etc etc. Then seven months ago a good friend of mine passed away unexpectedly. I realized life is too short to put off doing things I want to do. I'm tired of worrying about everything and caring what other people think of me. So six months ago I began my dread journey. A celebration of life, as someone else said. It's been a good journey so far.
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Love hearing everyone's different reasons :)

With me, I just started getting into reggae music and realised that dreads look amazing, and wondered if I should have dreads. It quickly went from a passing thought to a certainty, and in my haste I was taken in by the misinformation of DHHQ and KnottyBoy and all of their methods/products. Fortunately I found this site very soon after I used wax so I was able to get it out and let it do its thing. I'm not ashamed to admit that the reason started off as a shallow one, just wanting them cos they look cool, but it changed as I experienced the journey; more patience, less caring about what others think, more self-confidence, happier, and more of a grasp of spirituality. I'm not saying I've become a completely different person because of them, but just that they, and also the community here of so many different personalities and views, have allowed me to explore my own life and beliefs more.

Shade Of Ashes
@shade-of-ashes
12 years ago
78 posts

@DreadedSheep: What a detailed story! Thank you for sharing. Glad to see you are connecting to your roots - no pun intended - and finding spirituality and nature. :) Your dreads rock.

@Kat Teblin: Great job going after who you are instead of listening to people. :) I love that your dreads mean so much to you in almost every aspect of life. I hope you journey continues to be one filled with happiness!

@Adam Kelly: So glad you are out to change opinions - the world needs more dreadies to set it straight! Luckily dreads have a tendency to change us too. I wish you much happiness. :) Thank you for your story.

@Kelsey Cliche: Great story and great reasoning! Thank you so much for sharing - you're absolutely right, life is too short; we should find happiness in any area we can.

@Tara C: Hey, who said looking cool was a bad reason. ;) I appreciate you sharing, even if you thought it was shallow at first, it seems dreads have once again worked their magic on someone. :)

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

I had long hair down to my waist and was completely and totally unable to manage it, style it, comb it, etc. Dreads it was!

Danika Skalet
@danika-skalet
12 years ago
37 posts

I have always liked the way they looked, but my reasoning for dreading were more emotional and spiritual than anything else. For me it was like a (extremely long overdue)dedication to myself as a witch,a way to connect with nature on a deeper level, to enhance my intuition, show my freedom. I started going though a lot of changes prior to starting my journey and dreading was another stepping stone for me on my path. I love them so much.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts
Well I started my dreads initially for the simple gave that I've always loved them, and swore that as soon as I reached a place in my life where I was set emotionally and professionally I would give it a go. The fact that I started them the month my daughter was born was a coincidence but took a meaning of its own. now my dreads and my daughter are the same age n will grow together hopefully until the rest of my days. finally, I feel as though lately it has taken a spiritual connotation as well, as I read in this site, my dreads seem to also be growing into my brain, allowing me to see things differently and think differently as well, perhaps questioning some things that I wouldn't have before. overall, I'm extremely happy with my choice, n will not only have dreads but BE a dread for life.
Naddy
@naddy
12 years ago
2 posts
I love dreads like others I've never been one for straightening curling etc. My first set started with a few friends randomly adding dreads adhoc in my hair the result was an unhappy mother I believe het words were " those best come out" unfortunately I caught headlice and brushed them out to get rid of the little critters, after that I went through sets of fake dreads, and a fair few sets of real dreafs, backcombed, twist n rip and crocheted. My last set was crocheted lasted just over a year before they started to fall apart (due to exsessive hair dying I think) now I'm 3months with my naturals it's slow but I'm.learning to be patient and loving the wiggles

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form