Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The Social haters of dreads

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
I didn't have dreads in highschool..but, I was the dorky weirdo who had everything waaayyy before it became a trend and took alot of heat for it. I got laughed at almost everyday and it really sucked...but, my mom told me something once and it has never failed me (even tho my mom and I don't see eye to eye too much!Lol)." If you want to be yourself and that means being different than everybody else, you have to know that right or wrong it will attract attention. So, if the attention makes you uncomfortable you have to decide if being yourself is worth the discomfort." Although school was rough, I decided that being true to me was the only way to go and I sucked it up. After awhile being called a weirdo or a freak made me kinda proud...kinda like reverse psychology or something :)
updated by @panterra-caraway: 07/09/15 10:47:16PM
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
That's like the greatest motherly advice I've ever heard :) Panterra Caraway said:
" If you want to be yourself and that means being different than everybody else, you have to know that right or wrong it will attract attention. So, if the attention makes you uncomfortable you have to decide if being yourself is worth the discomfort."
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Thanks Paula! Ya, my mom did good with that one! Paula said:
That's like the greatest motherly advice I've ever heard :)

Panterra Caraway said:
" If you want to be yourself and that means being different than everybody else, you have to know that right or wrong it will attract attention. So, if the attention makes you uncomfortable you have to decide if being yourself is worth the discomfort."
Alex Angam
@alex-angam
14 years ago
47 posts
I was at a party once and this ignorant fool came over to me out of nowhere in a drunken stuper and asked me if I knew where dreads originated from. He tried to convince me that they were only for blacks who are repenting slavery. He kept ripping on me none stop and it was getting me really upset, especially because I had been drinking too. I basically told him he was an idiot and to f**k off after all of the names he called me. Luckily I am peaceful because this kid later got in a fight that night, I think he was out for something. He kept questioning my reasoning too, and he an answer for everything I told him, he was an ignorant know it all, and I'm glad I don't associate with those folks. Just brush it off, whats done is done, and now you know better and too avoid the assholes.
Skye Taylor
@skye-taylor
14 years ago
9 posts
thank you everyone, i can come into school tomorrow with a whole new air. i've always been proud of my dreads but its been a tough journey, i really appreciate your advice. i hope other new dreadheads read this too!<3 i cant wait to show people that i dont care about the stupid remarks they make just because they are ill informed about dreads.
BeeSaav
@beesaav
14 years ago
28 posts
ugh i hate the "you have to shave your head" comment.Im sure they know nothing about dreads, but really, if youve got the patience and time, dreads dont have to be shaved off.and i start school in 15 days, so im kinda excited/worried about the comments lolim more excited thoughand already ive had my bro make fun of me , and actually kill one of my dreads =[he even threw rice at me, which made me mad at him for trying to mess my dreads up, AND for wasting food.dont worry about what people saytheyre idiots =P
Skye Taylor
@skye-taylor
14 years ago
9 posts
today was so much better. most of the comments were the same but i just felt so much more empowered, realizing how stupid they sounded. one person asked me where my dreads were, i took my hair out of the ponytail and showed him and he said "what, these are not dreads" and i said, really? you should touch the next white girls hair you see, then touch mine, then let me know what you think" he did and he was like OH SHIT. sorry i mean i wasnt comparing it to regular hair, just to dreads. it made me feel so much better! people have such pre conceived ideas about dreads they dont even know what they look like to begin with they just "magically happen"
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Good for you! You went into the battle with alittle ammunition! Right on! People can be sooo stupid sometimes. It's like they have their heads crammed up their butts and they just poke their head out periodically to catch some fresh air and while they do they choose to bag on whoever is handy! I am really glad you had a better day! Hold on to that power sister! Blessings and love.
Gary Charlesworth
@gary-charlesworth
14 years ago
50 posts
If you've had them since may, then they must look preety sweet by now. All the haters are secretly wishing they had the balls to ask mommy for a tattoo so they can look alternative like all their friends. They're gunna walk round their whole lives after school going nowhere. You on the other hand will have grown spiritually and emotionally, and you'll soon learn to ignore the people who want you to look like them. Keep up the dreading, as long as you're happy with them, NOTHING else matters.Peace & Love
Hannah D
@hannah-d
14 years ago
8 posts
when i first got dreads everyone told me the same thing, n that i didnt wash my hair. i just told them straight up its not your hair so dont worry bout it:) haha

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form