Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Scalp stench.

Teddyjo
@teddyjo
11 years ago
106 posts

my hair is about 5 inches long. i have pretty bad dandruff issues but i notice that my scalp feels so good when i scrub the shit out of it during my washes. I dont have any baby dreads yet but i have obvious sections. I recently started to Stop scrubbing my scalp while i BS/ACV my hair. Im confused because i hear some people say that you gotta do the "no touch wash" in order to obtain baby dreads. I want to know if you or anyone else has obtained baby dreads/dreads by scrubbing there scalp every time they wash. i want to know if scrubbing your scalp will slow down the dreading process as apposed to not scrubbing

KnotLady said:

scrub scrub scrub with the shampoo. be rough with it. it makesknots happen. and makes your scalp happy.

updated by @teddyjo: 07/23/15 03:19:40PM
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

I scrub my scalp every time I wash, no matter which variety of 'poo I'm using, BS or bar soap. Check out my pics. LOTS of nearly mature locks even after just a dozen weeks. My scalp just plain feels better after I scrub it. And yes, it does really help knot up the hair faster. (Just don't scrub just to scrub to create knots. When we think about stuff overly much we always tend to overdo it. Human nature.) Don't irritate yours scalp by using your nails but by all means, rub the scalp until you smile smile smile. I always use that time to get those areas of my scalp that itch and put additional soap there and scrub a bit more. It really helps.

When I first started my first set of locks I did the no-touch method and wasn't very happy. I had a lot of buildup on my scalp and was constantly scratching and yup, stinking a bit. Scrubbing with fingertips seems to work the best for me.

(And yes, I do use the right amount of BS.)

Tia
@tia
11 years ago
24 posts

I started with really short hair and have always scrubbed the shit out of my hair. I backcombed to start and those fell out, re-sectioned themselves, and are dreading up just fine. Yes, it may stunt your dread growth a tad bit, but all in all, you'll have great smelling awesome dreads instead of smelly ones that may be moldy and have to be cut off.

So, scrub scrub scrub just like the rest have told you! And if in doubt, ask someone you trust to smell em and tell you true :) I worry about mine smelling bad (the way we smell ourselves and others smell us are different), so every week or so I have the hubs do a check just to make sure ;)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi MoorZ. Using baking soda is to exfoliate the scalp, so try pouring it directly on your scalp instead of soaking it in a large bowl. I don't think you would get the same benefits if the scalp is not completely drenched? The scalp smell did not happen in the beginning for you which might mean you have build-up from not getting the entire scalp drenched.

Good luck, hope you get it all settled soon, it's all trial and error. Peace

MoorZ said:

I use 1/2 BS cup to 5 cups of water with around 10-20 drops of tea tree and lavender, some peppermint. Usually Ill dump it all into a large bowl and soak my head in there. Ill leave in for 20 mins rinse then do ACV with a little less oils. My actual hair will smell great but by the next day or two I can already smell my scalp. This has just started to happen, wasnt an issue in the beginning.

MoorZ
@moorz
11 years ago
46 posts

Thank everyone! Ill def scrub when using the the shampoo since i have knotted sections they shouldnt really break up if I scrub. But I think ill mostly stick with BS wash

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

To lump? Never had that problem. I find that warm water just makes a very warm gyser if you shake the bottle up and then let your finger off the tip. lol Lovely chemical reaction!

beckbeck
@beckbeck
11 years ago
32 posts

I bought a castile soap to wash my body with a while ago, which was advertised forwashingdreads- well the after smell from that stuff, was vomit, it smelled like vomit. it could be the dread shampoo, wash your hands with it and see. vinegar has a pungent smell, perhaps you're using too much of that? is it possible to rinise after the acv rinse to wash most of it out? you could have a lot of sweat and maybedandruffon your scalp which would be causing it, that's why it's important to get in there and scrub your scalp if you're using shampoo- otherwise you're probably applying soap and not lathering it or scrubbign it- then it mightnotbe rinsing out properly. then you have soap scum on your scalp, and the no scrubbing your scalp means any dandruff there will stay there. and that stuff does go bad. you haven't really said what kind of smell you're experiencing so it's hard to tell. if you really can't figure it out, you should visit a doctor, you might have a scalp condition. you may have a scalp producing a large amount of oils because you're jumping between the two washing methods. your scalp getsconfusedabouthowmuch oil it should beproducing either way, a doctor should be able to tell you what the problem is so you can fix it. no oneshouldhave to live with smelly scalp! xx

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

yeah, I think the person who got lumps didn't use baking soda, they were using baking POWDER. Completely different things.

Beckbeck, a doctor is going to tell us that we should comb our hair out and wash our hair with commercial shampoo.

beckbeck
@beckbeck
11 years ago
32 posts

perhaps, but you can ignore that advice- but if it is a fungal thing, it couldbe as simple as some ointment applied for a week! I'd try it if I had the problem x
Angel Frye said:

yeah, I think the person who got lumps didn't use baking soda, they were using baking POWDER. Completely different things.

Beckbeck, a doctor is going to tell us that we should comb our hair out and wash our hair with commercial shampoo.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form