Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Scalp stench.

MoorZ
@moorz
11 years ago
46 posts
Hello folks! Almost 2 months in my journey here and have one issue. Scalp smell. I fluctuate between dreadlock shampoo and BS/ACV, but I am mostly doing BS. But Even after a nice wash I can smell my scalp about a day or two later. Especially after using the shampoo. Ill scratch my head in a certain part (mainly behind ears) and my fingers will smell horrible. While the odor isnt too strong is definatley not pleasant. Haha is this normal? Or should I wash more? I try not to rub/scrub my scalp when washing maybe I should. What do you guys think?

updated by @moorz: 02/14/15 06:10:57PM
Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Scalp does smell becos of sweat and the oils it keeps on producing.. These are ur natural oils and sweat and it does not smell initially but its only after the interference of bacteria that it starts smelling... its just like how ur body would smell if u dont have a bath for 2-3 days... u dont need to stretch too long between washes.. its better the more u wash as long as u dont wash everyday.. 1nce in 2-3 days is perfect.. good luck brother..

ginger.rose
@gingerrose
11 years ago
45 posts
When I first went no 'poo, I had that issue. For me, several things were happening - 1. Not enough BS. 2. Wetting my hair before applying BS mix (dry is best). 3. Too much ACV.I fiddled with all of these factors and now occasionally add some tea tree oil to my BS wash. Now that smell is reduced to "normal" levels (often not noticeable at all), so I am not in an odorous cloud any more.
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

When I do the BS more than I use my good handmade dreadsoap I find the smell of my scalp is a bit off, too. Sometimes it's REALLY off.

It might also be the dreadsoap you're using. The bar soaps that have fake scents instead of EO's aren't necessarily as scalp friendly as those which only use EO's. The ones with only EO's may not smell as pungent as those with the fake scents added but they're going to help your scalp stay clean longer.

This is one I like and am using currently It's called Charcoal by Mosalu. It is most excellent. She has several dreadsoap formulas depending on what scalp and hair type you have. Also, the age of your locks matter. But, yeah, I just scrub this stuff in the parts of my hair, wet it some more(hair), slather the bar over my locks a few times, scrub the roots with my fingertips, rinse, and voila, awesome smelling hair and scalp for at least 2-3 days.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

What dreadlock shampoo are you using, it sounds like that one does not like your scalp. Are you using the right ratio for the baking soda wash & ACV rinse? 1/2 cup BS w/5 cups water, then 1-2 capfuls ACV w/ 5 cups water. Ginger puts the BS on dry hair, I always put it on wet hair. A wet sponge absorbs water quicker than a dry sponge does, so I go by that premise. Dreading is a trial and error process, eventually you will find what works best for you. Look up essential oils on this site and add some into your BS wash, that may help with any funky aromas. Do you ever go to sleep with wet hair? If so, make sure it is completely dry before bedtime. If you want your hair to naturally dry quicker, use a micro fiber towel, like a Shamwow, to suck the water out after washing, it reduces hours from my drying time. :)

Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

u say your not scrubbing yiur scalp even wiuth the dreasd shampoo then wghat are you doing with it

if u use shampoo..scrub your scalp

that will fix it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MoorZ
@moorz
11 years ago
46 posts

Right now I have the patchouli scented dreadlock shampoo Ill gently pat the shampoo onto my head instead of rubbing my fingers and scrubbing it. I use 1/2 BS cup to 5 cups of water with around 10-20 drops of tea tree and lavender, some peppermint. Usually Ill dump it all into a large bowl and soak my head in there. Ill leave in for 20 mins rinse then do ACV with a little less oils. My actual hair will smell great but by the next day or two I can already smell my scalp. This has just started to happen, wasnt an issue in the beginning.

MoorZ
@moorz
11 years ago
46 posts

Maybe its not such a big deal. Just when im looking down, scratching my head, or smell my hair closer to the roots i can smell the odor.

April Brown
@april-brown
11 years ago
49 posts

lol This is funny cuz just about my 2 month mark I was complaining of the same thing. I thought it smelled bad but my husband and kids said it just smells like me... haha I was like "ewe so I stink" I think it's our scalp adjusting after years of using chemicals. I just increased my washing to every 2-3 days and I have itchy scalp anyway so I scrub my scalp with my fingertips.. Now that I have dreads I look forward to wash day lol I haven't changed anything else and the smell isn't noticeable to me anymore. I haven't tried any dreadsoap except a tiny bit of bronners occasionally in my BS. But usually I only do BS mix with 3 drops tea tree (I hate the smell of that but it's good for the scalp ) and then I rinse with the ACV mix and currently put 3 drops peppermint EO and and 3 drops grapefruit EO I havn't got rosemary yet but I hear it's great for scalp issues too.

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

scrub scrub scrub with the shampoo. be rough with it. it makesknots happen. and makes your scalp happy.

MoorZ said:

Right now I have the patchouli scented dreadlock shampoo Ill gently pat the shampoo onto my head instead of rubbing my fingers and scrubbing it. I use 1/2 BS cup to 5 cups of water with around 10-20 drops of tea tree and lavender, some peppermint. Usually Ill dump it all into a large bowl and soak my head in there. Ill leave in for 20 mins rinse then do ACV with a little less oils. My actual hair will smell great but by the next day or two I can already smell my scalp. This has just started to happen, wasnt an issue in the beginning.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form