Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hair looks like a rat's nest

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The average person will not be able to tell the early signs of locks. Just think back to every time you saw someone with nappy hair on the street, and didn't give them a second glance. For all you know they could have been growing locks, and only just stopped brushing that day or earlier that week. Baby locks do just look like a nappy rats nest. For some that stage only lasts a few weeks before their sections become more defined. For others, myself included, it can take over a year. I had a tangled mess for about a year before I saw even the resemblance of a dreadlock. Even now, the areas in between mature locks still looks nappy and messy. It dies down after a while, but healthy locks always look kind of messy. Loose hairs and frizzyness comes from not worrying about how you look to others and letting your hair do it's own thing. So don't worry if the back of your head is kind of a mess right now. It'll come together.

I didn't notice you mention it, but how long is your hair, anyway?

And yeah, if your locks are just knotted at the root, don't separate them. They only need separating as the start to web together along the body of the lock.

updated by @baba-fats: 07/23/15 04:51:32AM
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Right now my hair is roughly several inches passed my shoulders. I do have several little strands that aren't in dreads that reach about halfway down my back! It's crazy to see how much they've started to shrink right up! In the last couple months I feel like I've lost a lot of length
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

the average loss is between 1/3 - 1/2 your original length. So you're right on track with shrinkage.

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Niiice! Good to know! That's very reassuring! Thanks! :)
Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
12 years ago
122 posts
My hair is a mix of tnr and neglect and I'm at 7 1/2 months, too. I don't even have shrinkage yet, just maybe 6 dreads and everything else is loose sections. I'm ok with the slow process, but I really want them to be mature by next August for my wedding. Hopefully 20 months is old enough! Anyway, glad there are others in the same boat as me.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Kelsey, check out Jesusfreedmysoul's video on one of the styles she wears her hair in. It's awesome. I actually stole it for my wedding this past June. I've got a pic of how it looks on me in my wedding album here. I'm sure she's got other good ideas for what you can do with your locks for a wedding, too

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
If I only separate along the length of the dreads, will the roots not start growing together?
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The roots should always be in a state of constant tangle. So if they are still tangled at the roots after separating, don't worry about it. They will keep trying to tangle up the body of the lock but all you have to do is pull them apart. But leave the roots alone

Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
12 years ago
122 posts
Thanks Baba, I'll check it out! Mature locks would be rad for an updo that day. I'm also hoping the shrinking happens soon so it can start growing again and be long enough to style. :P We shall see!
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Thanks! It's good to know that! :)

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form