I have a couple of questions if anybody could help me

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

try wool shrinks in the dryer i hand wash my tams tho

when i need to they dont need wahing often

beads well

lets say when i started to dread ui stuck some beads in loose straight hair and it dreaded in a hurry (semed like days)

mostly decoration but they can help dreads dread faster

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/09/15 09:44:34PM
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Beads can also become useful in separating two or three locks that seem determined to spin together and become one huge chunk of mess. Put a bead on the upper part(closer to the root) of the lock in the center of that mess and watch the magic! you won't have to separate those naughties nearly as much.

I just bought my first two beads the other day. Pictures in my album. I got them at Hobby Lobby in the leather/bead section for macrame. They're glass and metal. All sizes of holes available. Some of the best beads you can get are the macrame wooden beads because the holes vary in size and you can get a bunch for very little money. I chose to buy single beads because I'm so picky with designs and whatnot.

I put one bead on just over this lump of a bump on one forelock because the flipping up of the curl at the roots was making me insane. It wouldn't lay down for anything.Well, with the bead in it really helps that lock to behave itself while it knots up some more. I'd suggest keeping watch on how loosely the bead wiggles around, though. You don't want to get in a situation where it gets lock up in there and then you have to cut it off(bead, not lock) once the bead's usefulness is done or you want to change out your beads or shift them around to other locks.

I take mine out before every shampoo for that reason. Just to make sure I CAN get them off! lol

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

there is machine washable wool but it's been treated with chemicals to make it that way. it's not all that hard to handwash them.

Zack Croft said:

I've also heard that you can't machine wash wool or at least you can't wash it the same so that's another minus cuse my washer loves to eat things and especially hates beanies or hats of any kind really. I've also heard about dread beads too but I don't really know what purpose they serve other than looking good.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

superwash, it's called superwash wool (sorry had a brain fart earlier)

Ixchel said:

there is machine washable wool but it's been treated with chemicals to make it that way. it's not all that hard to handwash them.

Zack Croft said:

I've also heard that you can't machine wash wool or at least you can't wash it the same so that's another minus cuse my washer loves to eat things and especially hates beanies or hats of any kind really. I've also heard about dread beads too but I don't really know what purpose they serve other than looking good.

Zack Croft
@zack-croft
12 years ago
18 posts

This feels like a dumb question but how would I go about hand washing a wool tam? And thanks for the advice on the beads it was very informative

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

in a sink

woolyte

just rub it a bit and rinse then hang over something that helps it retain its shape as it dries

ue warn=m to cool water

--
Zack Croft
@zack-croft
12 years ago
18 posts

I'll try that when I get mine then, thanks. I think is gonna be the last question for now, the side of my head that I sleep on is a lot more dreaded than the side I don't, do I need to sleep on the other side more or will it catch up eventually?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it will catch up

but sleeping on other side will speed it up

or a tam will redistribute the compression tho it will probly end up on the floor

--
Zack Croft
@zack-croft
12 years ago
18 posts

Lol yeah I thought that too. Thanks for all the help everybody I have learned a lot

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

I had that same situation happen with my locks, too, Zack. The one-side-dreaded-up more situation. Give it another month. Your hair will get crazy. I was whining and bitching on here last month about the right side of my head being soft and... now I've got beads to hold the kinky mess down! They're like weeds, I tell ya. But the kind of weeds you love. Not the kind of weeds you put killer chemicals on.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form