Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Shuaib ahmed
@shuaib-ahmed
14 years ago
154 posts
I can't find any Aloe Vera where i am. will i have to buy some?
updated by @shuaib-ahmed: 07/28/15 04:39:03PM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
As far as the smell goes...I find that it really disappears (much like everything else...vinegar, baking soda...) when it dries, so I don't feel that is a problem. That said, I don't see why you couldn't also put some lavender with it if you wanted...it could make it a bit oily though. The aloe vera seems to lend control to my hair but is invisible after it dries. As for buying aloe vera...hmmmm...well, if you can't find it in a market they definitely should have it in a drug store. It usually is in with the pain reliever sprays for sunburn or you could ask. If all that fails then I would try a garden center or a place that sells plants. You can buy one very cheap and they grow welll without much care. Trust me cuz I kill everything and my plant is out of control! Hope that helps! : )
Brittney Phillips
@brittney-phillips
14 years ago
3 posts
I was super excited about using aloe vera. I used wax last time around, and i really liked it, but i keep hearing horrible things about it, so i havent used any at all this time around with the dreads. So, i went and got myself two aloe vera plants so i could cut a leaf from each back and forth as to let the plants grow. I extracted the gel, and put it mostly on my dreads in the front, because these are the ones i feel need taiming. Anyways...DISASTER!!! My hair turned purple!!!And not a pretty purple either.. aggg!! ( i have super blond dreads) . What the heck am i supposed to do now? And why wasnt i warned, with all the people on here using it, *sigh*, anyways. help!!!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
simple wash it outaloe washes right putit shouldnt stainive never head that but if youir hairs really really light i can see it mightdid u use alot andare u 100% sure its aloe Vera and not another aloe variety?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
noo ui dont want the stuff fronm drug stores that has sooooo much crap mixed inyou only want pure aloe..no other ingredients at all it should be sold as a food or come from the plant Panterra Caraway said:
As far as the smell goes...I find that it really disappears (much like everything else...vinegar, baking soda...) when it dries, so I don't feel that is a problem. That said, I don't see why you couldn't also put some lavender with it if you wanted...it could make it a bit oily though. The aloe vera seems to lend control to my hair but is invisible after it dries. As for buying aloe vera...hmmmm...well, if you can't find it in a market they definitely should have it in a drug store. It usually is in with the pain reliever sprays for sunburn or you could ask. If all that fails then I would try a garden center or a place that sells plants. You can buy one very cheap and they grow welll without much care. Trust me cuz I kill everything and my plant is out of control! Hope that helps! : )

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Oh my gosh! I never heard of aloe vera doing anything like turning hair purple! I am sooo sorry. As SE said, quickly wash it out! Also, I guess I should clarify...the drug store near me has a section for natural stuff and the aloe I was suggesting was 100% natural, PURE aloe vera. If you look at many bottles, you will see (as SE stated) that they can contain chemicals like lidocaine and others. Some Mexican food markets sell these thick chunks of cactus and they also sell big bundles of the plant (Aloe). Good luck with all this...again, sorry about the purple (I had no idea!).
Brittney Phillips
@brittney-phillips
14 years ago
3 posts
Thankyou both for your quick response. I washed my hair, and the purple is almost all gone. There is a slight purple tinge, but it is very slight. I did use quite a bit, maybe less next time. I have the aloe in a little cup, and i noticed that after it sits out for a while it turns bright purple, so maybe ill put it on for a few hours before i wash my hair.. but im trying to use it as a wax alternative. My locks are about 2 1/2 months old, so maybe i shouldnt use it until they are tighter, it seems to make them looser. =(.. oh well, its all trial and error
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
looking around google I found something called purple-crown aloe ...from what I know there are different types of aloe and the one you want is aloe veraDo you have a picture of the plant? Maybe someone can recognize it
Brittney Phillips
@brittney-phillips
14 years ago
3 posts

Thats muh plant..=), pretty sure its aloe vera
updated by @brittney-phillips: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Dave2
@dave2
14 years ago
71 posts
BR>Thats muh plant..=), pretty sure its aloe veraAloe speciosa leaves are used to dye fabrics pink, it may be a young speciosa.I dont see any spots on your plant, from my knowledge of the plant Aloe Vera/Barbadensis usually has white spotting on leaves

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form